Why do people try to pronounce the name of foreign authors using not English, but Spanish, Portuguese...

Why do people try to pronounce the name of foreign authors using not English, but Spanish, Portuguese, French or whatever other language the author himself speaks?

Let me give you an example: when people say 'Albert Camus' they'll usually say 'Albert' as you would pronounce it in English and 'Camus' either as 'Cam-oo' or 'Cam-ee'. Both of them are wrong in terms of French, yet people who say stuff like this will try to correct you.

Nietzsche is another good example: people will usually say something like 'Nee-tchee' or 'Nee-tcha'. Both of them are wrong in terms of German, and just as in the case of Camus, people will correct you if you deviate from those two pronunciations.

Why don't people just stop this rubbish and pronounce the names as they would in normal, day-to-day English? If you're going to get the name wrong anyways, why sound like a fucking tryhard?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection
vocaroo.com/i/s1eBXxAsAiWQ
vocaroo.com/i/s1wwVVEwqF8M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

n00b

Your double aughts were your only contribution to Veeky Forums today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection

Nobody I know says anything but "Al-bear Camoo," and "Nee-tcha" is as close as you can get without feigning a German accent.

But that's the whole point of my post: stop faking a 'correct' pronunciation if you're just going to screw it up. Just say it as you would in plain English, even if you do speak another language. Nothing sounds worse than someone suddenly jumping from one language to another just to pronounce the name of an artist or one of their works. It drives me crazy.

learn to articulate yourself before posting

this

what do you propose as unfeigned "English" pronunciations? "Al-bert Cam-iss"? "Nights-cheh"?

Okay, as soon as you start saying "rendezvowce" and "coos detat." The general way foreign words are pronounced in english is with the closest matching set of phonemes. That is day to day English.

Coop detat*

Give us a laugh OP and record yourself pronouncing Nietzsche the way you wish everyone would.

Sorry, I'm not really a native English speaker. I noticed this trend of bullshit pronunciation in my own language. It just occurred to me that the same happens in the anglosphere, and I can't understand why people do it.

I know such words have been 'Engli-fied' and are normally used. My biggest issue is with the intelligentsia trying to distinguish itself by using a faux-pronunciation mimicking another language. It's more prevalent in academic circles and on journalism.

I was just trying to piss you off. But you being nice to me despite that makes me feel bad. Sorry.

>its hard just be a monolingual!

'Albert' would be just the regular pronunciation, and 'Camus' would sound just like 'Chemist' without the t. Nietzsche would just be "Nigh-tchee".

This criticism doesn't hold. OP's point is that people are not pronouncing the names correctly despite being tryhards about it, and the best solution would be dropping this faux-multilingual approach.

Neither of those make any sense in English.

it seems now pseuds have taken over and words arent translated into english and instead our pitiful anglo mouths are just supposed to ape the original pronunciation in an embarassing and cringeworthy show

can you imagine Livorno being called "Leghorn" in the modern day? pseuds just want to say foreign words without bothering to learn the language

thankfully this hasn't extended to deutschland or nippon or etc, but i fear we are not far off

No, the best solution is learning the proper pronunciation.

Congratulations, you've won the Crown of Pseuds. Wear it with pride!

>'Camus' would sound just like 'Chemist'
Dude what?

I fucked up the explanation, have this vocaroo instead. vocaroo.com/i/s1eBXxAsAiWQ

These things you're saying aren't facts. Al-beh cah-mu is correct in French. And Neetsh-eh is correct in German. It's all fine, OP. Chill out.

Ok, I do try to pronounce the names as they would sound in the original tongue.

I listen to the pronunciation online from several different websites (just google "whatever pronunciation" and a few will pop up), and then I give it my best.

I'm learning Japanese at the moment. I would love to be fluent in every language and thus know exactly how to say everything perfectly, but this is not going to happen, so I try my best.

I don't give a damn when a Spanish speaker turns an I sound into a long E sound, it's understandable given the language. My first name has an R and an I in it, some Spanish speakers roll the R and make the I into a long E, this does not matter and only a petty autist would truly give a shit.

>wanting to pronounce things correctly makes you a pseud
Monolingual subhumans are funny.

'Albert Cam-oo' is obscenely wrong in French. It would be right if his name were 'Albert Camou', which it isn't.

This. You don't have to put on a french accent, just say it as close as possible in your own language.

>obscenely wrong
>one vowel is unrounded
I hate anglos as much as anyone, but come on.

I actually speak English, Portuguese, Spanish and advanced French. But these are 4 languages, and three of them are somewhat similar. It is stupid to require everyone to learn how to pronounce names in every "important" language. I'm pretty sure that if I asked you to pronounce "Vladimir Putin", "Recep Tayyip Erdoğan", "Enrique Peña Nieto" or "Vincent van Gogh" you'd not be able to do it, even if you were to listen to a pronunciation guide on YouTube.

Even polyglots should behave like I'm suggesting. By pronouncing names following the phonological rules of the language you're speaking, your speech will sound clearer, more neutral and won't turn you into a flaming pseud fag.

what is the meaning in pic related?

If you don't say Cah-muu, and Neetsch-uh regardless of your native language, you're a disgusting plebeian.

It means OP is a fag.

Please enlighten everyone on the correct pronunciation

Ahl-beh (r etching sound in the beh) Cum-eugh

But what's your rationale for opposing nee-cha as a pronunciation? "ie" makes an "ee" sound at least as often as it makes an "igh" sound. Field, grief, mien, piece, wiener, yield. Pronouncing "tzsche" as "cha" or "chuh" doesn't have much precedent, but the only precedent for saying "chee" is in bastardizations of Greek, which really doesn't seem like something you would support.

More importantly though, why do you care? English adopts foreign phrases and terms very haphazardly, and there's no consistent rule on how to do it. It makes sense for it to just coalesce on whatever people think sounds best. After all, there's just as strong an argument against basing it on how the spelling would be pronounced in English: there is no standard for pronouncing words based on their spelling in English, as we have seen in your inability to find an agreeable pronunciation along those lines.

the aesthetics of autism, the thread

Because languages articulate vocal expressions and this confusion of vocal only exists in languages that use Latin alphabet. If you will say Bee-no-eest instead of Be-no-oua you don't throw away arbitrary rules, you just slaughter what defines a word in the first place.

It's not that hard to learn the correct pronounciaton of foreign names, especially if we're talking about European languages.

Pronouncing names as you would in English just tells me that you're ignorant/dismissive of foreign languages and you refuse to do a minimal effort to get a few words right.

I'm Hungarian. When foreigners pronounce Hungarian names as they would in English I can't understand shit. It takes a minute or two to correct and teach them the proper pronounciaton. It can be done by using google translator's voice function. All you gotta do is push a few buttons. 5 minutes tops.

You fuck up and butcher the pronounciation. So what? At least you tried. At least you tried and it lets me now that you're willing to learn, and in some ways, adapt to foreigners and their language.

>hungarian

lel just like zizek

>Cam-oo
I mean, yeah that's wrong, but trying to tell plebeians to speak with proper accents and phenomes is never going to work. "Ahl-bearh Cam-yew" sounds plainly dumb to English speakers, and that's a pretty simple name. Try getting English speakers to pronounce Antoine de Sainte-Exupery's name
Don't know where the fuck "Cam-ee" comes from though.

vocaroo.com/i/s1wwVVEwqF8M
what do you think of my way of pronouncing Friedrich Nietzsche and Albert Camus, OP

What did he mean by this?

nee cha is how it's pronounced in german you fucking retard

Pronouncing Nietzche in plain English would sound like a wet fart.

Because there are classes of culture.

Some people can speak foreign languages, mainly due to work, travel and playing diplomatic roles. University professors and publishers tend to be from this group. They decide how all words are pronounced, and not just foreign names.

Some people try hard to seem like they can speak foreign languages, but ultimately don't because their lack of international work, restricted travel, lack of diplomatic connections and lack of serious scholarly interest do not motivate them to learn a foreign language. They are clerks.

Squeezed into the awkward lower middle class are people who try hard to seem like they don't care that they can't speak a foreign language. They hate the upper middles and don't know the uppers exist. They are non-menial working class or sometimes the ass end of the clerk class.

Then way down on the bottom are the people who actually don't care and would never ask this question because they mainly think about the big game and eating pork rinds. They hate the lower middles because the lower middles are usually their supervisors and McManagers.

>Even polyglots should behave like I'm suggesting. By pronouncing names following the phonological rules of the language you're speaking

>Ornesht Hemingvey
>Albert Kamush
>Thomash Pintson
>Ghe-org Orvell
>Willi-am Folknehr

Yes that is going to work thank you very good

Fucking pleb.

Wait but I know french and german and it sounds wierd if I don't pronounce it correctly. Op have you ever considered that maybe some people are familiar with foreign languages; and possibly you might just be retarded?

>Nee-tcha
Sounds okay enough to my German ears.

Because it's their fucking name.

If my name was Juan and I was a spaniard, I'd be pretty annoyed if some Anglo kept referring to me as Giew-ahn.

When you say people's names, say their actual names, not just the way their names are spelt based on your native tongues pronunciation. If you get it wrong, that's fine. At least you tried.

>Nietzsche would just be "Nigh-tchee".
"no"
It would probably sound like "neetzsh".

Should be "Neet-sjuh"

how would OP have us say Baudrillard

Bau-drill-ard

lold

What if I am reading Kant online OP? Then what?

Bo, drill 'er!

Everyone understands that the word that sounds like 'Cam-oo' refers to the philosopher Albert Camus. Even if you don't like it, you still understand that 'Cam-oo' refers specifically to one man and whenever anyone uses it you immediately understand who they're referring to. As such, the language is operating just fine at communicating ideas, and therefore is not broken. And if it's not broken, why should we try and fix it?

You should fix yourself instead, OP.

Because you're broken.

You're broken, OP.

Please fix it.

Bawdry-lard.

This is the dumbest shit, jesus christ user

>those are four languages
2.5 languages if you're being honest.

>The general way foreign words are pronounced in english is with the closest matching set of phonemes
This is true but it doesn't cover the case of anglification of Nietzsche to "nee-chi", we have much closer sounds in English to the german pronunciation than that

Yeah, that's what happens when people try to do it OP's way. Nee-cha is the correct answer.