Do you take notes when you read?

Do you take notes when you read?

Only after I've read it once or twice

no, I don't have bad memory

everyone has a bad memory desu.

I find it more useful as a way of working through analytic thought paths and plot connecitons rather than a mere memory tool.

>principal

I'm glad you made this topic, as I was hoping to ask. I'm not sure if I should do this, or annotate, or both.

Annotation seems better because you're interacting directly with the text, but with notes I can avoid marking my book with evidence of my own stupidity, since it makes me really uncomfortable.

mark it up user, you can do it, no one cares

What if I mark things incoherently in a way that's not only unhelpful but misleading to myself in the future?

Buy a new copy of the book? You act like you can only have one copy of a book for your entire life.

Huh they're two different words

do u use mind maps, they look great for this sorta thing

The first time you read a book is just to see if you're gonna read it for the first time. Harold brodkey said this

Yeah I do find them really useful, although I only make them at an especially convulated descriptions where linear propositions -> proposition recording doesn't clarify things

No, I don't forget so easily. My memory is somewhat atomized, but generally complete after one reading.

Are you able to quote from the book later?

I can generally remember events and themes quite well, but I have a friend who takes notes that can recite full passages for books he hasn't read in years, while I'll only be able to describe the section in general terms. I want to acquire that kind of retention for myself.

I can't quote, but I can recognize a quote, its context, speaker, and so on. I don't have a real 'ordered memory'. I've tried some of those order-based 'memory tricks' and they worked worse than my regular memory.

>sensibal

How the fuck can you even????

No. I have decent memory and rarely reread my own notes. Sometimes i'll google for some analysis on something I didnt understand but thats it

>reading for information instead of understanding.
Wew lad keeping lying to yourself about your great memory.

They arent two different things brainlet