Why are we not replacing our bones and skin and muscles with graphene and carbon nanotubes?

Graphene, carbon nanotubes, etc. They are like the holy grail of materials engineering, being the strongest materials known to humans. But how strong are they? I've heard that a single sheet of graphene 1 atom thick could support the weight of an elephant focused at the point of a pencil, which sounds incredible. CUNY City College just a few weeks ago put two sheets of graphene together and fired bullets at it, and the thing acted like it was harder than diamond, the bullets were frozen in place on impact.
Carbon nanotubes are similar: a robot that's like a foot tall made with carbon nanotube bones and muscles should be able to lift an elephant off the ground. Why are we not researching how to replace our muscles and bones and skin with this stuff? We'd be almost completely impervious to damage, literal superheros.

Other urls found in this thread:

asrc.cuny.edu/2017/12/18/diamene-study/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemodialysis),
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart),
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorporeal_membrane_oxygenation).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenteral_nutrition
frc.ri.cmu.edu/~hpm/project.archive/general.articles/1981/monpol.mss
cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(17)31504-0.pdf
theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/01/brain-cells-can-share-information-using-a-gene-that-came-from-viruses/550403/?single_page=true
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because we can't.

So why aren't we researching how to do that? These things are like magic, they are like the end-game of materials science and engineering they can do anything. Muscle fibers of woven nanotubes, skin made of graphene and bones made of diamonds. We'd be carbonized Demigods.

Material scientists are working on making all of those materials more viable every day and you would know that if you looked into it with something as simple as a google search.
>Why aren't my bones already made of diamonds wtf scientists
Are you actually fucking retarded?

because the illuminati doesn't want us to

No need to be an asshole.
How much longer do you think it'll be before we can start replacing our muscles and skin with this stuff, or more likely build a robot mad from this stuff and then transplant our brain into it.

If you didn't get all of your science knowledge from comic books you would understand why this is a stupid question to ask

I don't read comic books. Why wouldn't this be feasible, what about it is outside the laws of physics? If it's simply engineering restraints I get that but I don't see what's impossible about building a robot made from this stuff.

I bet it'll be one or two good IEDs detonating near you before you get any sort of augmentation.

There's no biological repair mechanism for graphene skin. It would constantly deteriorate and unlike real skin and bones it wouldn't fix itself.

Out bones, skin, and muscles have several critical functions other than holding shit together.

I think a better question to ask would be when we can start merging machine intelligence into our brains.

How much longer until I can process information and store memory on par with a high end desktop computer?

But isn't the point of it that it is pretty much indestructible and doesn't deteriorate? Also you could just keep replacing it every few days or weeks or whatever. Being bulletproof is totally worth it.
Yes but a robot doesn't need to breath or eat or shit or make blood and fight off bacteria and viruses. The body could be built to do as much as needed for our brain to survive in it.
We could do both.

Look up how difficult a straightforward transplant we've been performing for decades, like a kidney transplant, can be. Look up all the functions your skin and bones have that can't be replicated by super cool sci-fi graphene armor and fucking solid diamond. If you read the first paragraph of the wikipedia article on skin you would have your answer and wouldn't have killed a thread for your retarded shit.

>sci
>this needed to be explained at all

>it wasn't the first reply to the thread

Veeky Forums is a blue board /b/, nothing more

Haven't checked in on the state of graphene, nanotubes, and buckyballs recently, but isn't there still no practical application or means of mass producing those things?
I read a good article a year or so ago that compared the discovery of them to aluminum - scientists knew it was a big deal but no one figured out how to extract it in useful quantities until decades later. Seems like nano carbon tech is in a pretty similar place.

>>being the strongest materials known to humans.
Except not in bulk. A single carbon nanotube is incredible strong, a bunch of carbon nanotubes aren't.

>>I've heard that a single sheet of graphene 1 atom thick could support the weight of an elephant focused at the point of a pencil, which sounds incredible.
a single atomically perfect sheet. We can't realize single atomically perfect sheets in bulk
>>CUNY City College just a few weeks ago put two sheets of graphene together and fired bullets at it, and the thing acted like it was harder than diamond, the bullets were frozen in place on impact.
I'm calling bullshit until you provide a source
>>Carbon nanotubes are similar: a robot that's like a foot tall made with carbon nanotube bones and muscles should be able to lift an elephant off the ground.
in terms of lifting an elephant off the ground, the fact that the device doing the lifiting is a foot tall means nothing. Second, carbon nanotube actuators aren't very good. Carbon nanotubes are strongest along their length, however, electrostatic carbon nanotube actuators can only produce forces along their width the direction they are weakest. Pic related
>>Why are we not researching how to replace our muscles and bones and skin with this stuff?
First and foremost, it is difficult to produce graphene and carbon nanotubes at all. Second, we have yet to realize these amazing properties in bulk materials at the macroscale. Third, carbon nanotube muscles really aren't that great.

But even if we could obtain materials that are better than skin and bone, integrating them into the body would be difficult. Right now we can make titanium bones and they are worse than regular bones. A big problem is connecting the titanium to biological tissue. For one cells don't bind to titanium, second, titanium is so much stiffer than biological tissues that stress in the titanium does not transfer well to the tissue. Meaning they are prone to getting ripped out.

You know bones do more than create structure right?

>> they are like the end-game of materials science
end game is materials with strengths on the order of strong nuclear force or better.
>>and engineering they can do anything.
Hardly. Just because a material's really, really strong doesn't mean it can do anything.

>>build a robot mad from this stuff
a very long time. Producing practical macroscale quantities of essentially atomically perfect materials might require a completely different approach to how we make materials today. There is even the chance this could be impractical.

if your materials are wear and fatigue resistant enough, then they last long enough that you don't care about replacing them. Industrial robots can't heal themselves, but they are rated for around 10 years or more of continuous service. That being said, realizing elastomers(skin) that can last similar numbers of cycles is going to be difficult.

>>Yes but a robot doesn't need to breath or eat or shit or make blood and fight off bacteria and viruses.
One's brain does, the organs that support one's brain need to do so. Right now we can't keep individual organs alive outside the body for a day.

>Except not in bulk. A single carbon nanotube is incredible strong, a bunch of carbon nanotubes aren't.
Why not? why would putting a bunch of these next to each make it weaker?
>I'm calling bullshit until you provide a source
asrc.cuny.edu/2017/12/18/diamene-study/
>in terms of lifting an elephant off the ground, the fact that the device doing the lifiting is a foot tall means nothing. Second, carbon nanotube actuators aren't very good. Carbon nanotubes are strongest along their length, however, electrostatic carbon nanotube actuators can only produce forces along their width the direction they are weakest. Pic related
I meant human shaped robot a foot tall made of this stuff could lift the weight of an elephant, or is that not true?

Because you're a fucking retard engineer who has no idea how things work. For one, bones aren't just a bunch of metal structures that physically support the body. They're living tissue you fucking disgusting moron. Even a prosthetic-loving orthopedist would laugh at you.

>huur why aren't my bones literally carbon

Fucking brainlet holy shit. I hope this is bait because it's a good one but knowing you fucking retards it probably isn't.

wrong board engicuck

>why wouldn't transplanting our brain into a robot be feasible
>wow rude

Fucking engineering students didn't make it into medical school but insist on posting their retarded ideas

Fuck off Cyberman.

>>Why not? why would putting a bunch of these next to each make it weaker?
because they'd be held together by weak van der waals forces.
Now in the study they did not fire a bullet at two graphene sheets, they used an indenter 80 nm wide to apply forces graphene held in place.
>>I meant human shaped robot a foot tall made of this stuff could lift the weight of an elephant
well you certainly shouldn't go off and make baseless claims like that.
>>is that not true
probably not with the actuators we have today and I don't feel like going through all the bullshit to prove that's the case right now.

So if we had good actuators it would be? If a 1 foot tall robot could lift an elephant what could a normal human sized one do?

Lift 5-6 elephants obviously.
More importantly, what could a human do if they were made of degenerate neutron matter? Why aren't scientists researching how to harvest neutron stars to create a new race of hyper-dense super humans???

Stop jacking off to that retarded transhumanist sci-fi drivel and use your brain for half a second.

it's not a retarded idea, just one that is absurd with current technologies. There's nothing physically impossible about scooping out the brain, brain stem, and the bare minimum number of organs we need to keep the brain alive and putting them in some fancy jar that allows removal of waste and introduction of nutrients. We can already replace the kidneys(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemodialysis), heart(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart), and lungs(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorporeal_membrane_oxygenation). We might also be able to simplify much of the digestive system or eliminate it entirely using parenteral nutrition:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenteral_nutrition
We do these things very, very, very badly today, but we do them. We still can't do the basics of keeping organs alive outside the body for long periods of time.
There is also the issue of making a neural interface that doesn't kill brain/nerve cells

Why not make a computer out of a different material entirely, and trying to copy the brain piece by piece into the new one that's in the robot. "transfer" the brain and thus the intelligence and consciousness into the robot without transferring the actual physical brain.

shut the fuck up
if any of this ever becomes remotely plausible or interesting to discuss, then go ahead. until then, fuck off

why can't we turn our shit into nanotubes? I take a big strong dump if that were real

it depends on how good they are and I really don't give a fuck about calculating how good they should be. How good they are includes things like how much max stress they can produce among other things.
>> degenerate neutron matter
we need to do quite of bit of theoretical work to determine if there's any chance in hell degenerate neutron matter can exist stably at 1 atm.
>>Why aren't scientists researching how to harvest neutron stars
last time I checked the closest neutron star was hundreds of light years away.

Of course another fun fantasy material is a material made of magnetic monopoles. It should have a fucking absurd tensile strength and a thin veneer of monopoles on regular matter might be able to protect that regular matter from almost anything, while doing things like reflecting gamma rays. It's pointless though, because we have yet to discover magnetic monopoles. frc.ri.cmu.edu/~hpm/project.archive/general.articles/1981/monpol.mss

>unable to recognize the most blatantly obvious sarcasm
Yep, I'm on Veeky Forums after all.

Wow look at all those articles you posted! Why the fuck do we still let people have their own kidneys when we can use xboxhueg blood filtering machines that hook into the body every week to prevent patients from literally dying! Renin-schmangiontensin my ass, I'm sure these machines perfectly recreate the homeostatic and endocrine functions of the kidney, plus it's not like there's any risk of infection, thrombosis, machine failure, power outages or any sort of adversity of any kind. We should totally surgically remove people's kidneys in-utero and have them hooked up to a machine for the rest of their life ASAP. Why the fuck do people still need hearts in 2017? I mean, it's just a blood pump, right? Hearts suck, I mean look at the stats, cardiovascular diseases kill the most people every year. We seriously need to get rid of this shitty organ. We'll make a fucking indestructible carbon nanotube structure fucking nuclear-powered heart that goes on forever, that way it's fuel lines can't get fucking clogged up by debris or some shit, plus it will fucking ricochet bullets when you get shot for being an inhuman monster. Nothing can possibly go wrong. We'll give new human beings the gift of a nuclear heart the second they're born. I heard about some complications involving transplanted valves and the immune system cells present in the very blood being pumped recognizing them as non-self and rejecting them. Eh it's probably nothing, plus we can always give them steroids or some shit. Why the fuck do people need stomachs and intestines? Fucking useless shit. I mean, we can just intravenously infuse all the fucking nutrients into everyone's bodies, right? We cured malnutrition (but not hunger) forever. Why the fuck aren't we doing these things right now?? We're condemning people into leaving an unfulfilling life outside the hospital. Why the fuck do we need a body at all? The brain is literally a computer, we should be able to give it a shirow anime robot body

Keeping the brain and maybe a couple other organs alive outside the body is remotely plausible, but absurd. Now if we just want to keep the brain alive, we have the technology to circulate blood, oxygenate it, provide nutrition, and remove wastes. We can constantly transfuse new blood to deal, and follow similar protocols for bubble boy syndrome to deal with the lack of immune system. This may not work for very long, but if it does it's plausible. This however is absurd

we don't understand the brain well enough to copy it. We just found out that neurons appear to be exchanging virus-like particles with RNA inside. We have no idea what the fuck the transferred RNA does, but when we prevent neurons from doing it, shit breaks. No one expected to find shit like this in the brain and this could change entirely how we think about the brain.
cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(17)31504-0.pdf
theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/01/brain-cells-can-share-information-using-a-gene-that-came-from-viruses/550403/?single_page=true

about 50k yrs
in other words: never (we'll be extinct)

The word research isn't a guaranteed to creating, it is usually a path to answers, sometimes only more questions.
Perhaps conduct some research as to the absurdity of your ideas on enhanced beings. Ill assist heres a great example-
Theres an entire industry dedicated to producing lotions that reduce aging or wrinkles. These industries sell expensive products that are often chemically identical to cheap mineral oil and all they do is trap mostute into dead skin, swelling it temporarily. Then they add things like egg shells or cow hooves and tell consumers that the protein is what their skin needs, but it doesn't restore skin.
That may seem unrelated to you but it isn't, that's the same level of illogical stupidity you're suggesting. What they're saying is that you can fix a mattress by rubbing it with springs. What you're saying is someone should research how to make buildings stronger by filling the ventilation ducts with diamonds.
You need to power down your devices and hit the library, bud.
You can take my word for it because I'm not an inarticulate moron like you.

OP is retarded but the state of carbon nanotubes/graphene research and development is pathetic.
We are at the level where production is possible in very small quatities, so it basicly with right investment mass production is possible and will even get cheaper with time

>it's another brainlet crossposter comes to Veeky Forums to dump a retarded idea episode

WE MUST REPLACE BUILDINGS CARBON NANO-DIAMOND-TUBE VENTILATION DUCTS

No longer diamonds, nanotubes are now the hardest metal

I bet this will be one of those things that someone figures out or discovers how to mass produce out of the blue, and it revolutionizes everything.

Lol no. We'll probably need a completely different approach to making materials than what we have right now. You can't just form nanotubes and graphene into whatever desired shape you want and if one 'glues' nanotubes/ graphene together one loses a great deal of strength

Aren't carbon nano-tubes poisonous in a human body? Like the super version of asbestos and fiberglass?

Because human organism is extremely complex and you'd have to make the nanotubes somehow compatible with our bodies
as you probably know your body is constantly repairing bones, so you'd need to get rid of that as the carbon tubes would interfere
but if any unknown factor damages the tubes and your bone repair system is off you're essentialy dead
this is an oversimplification and you can see it getting extremely complicated very quickly, it would need absolutely insane amount of research and funding, so theres your answer

Underrated post

but Wolverine has like titanium bones or something, this must be possible we only need to think outside the box

You dont want perfectly rigid bones. Your bones are supposed to flex, and at a certain point, break because if they didnt you would fuck up the surrounding flesh and muscles beyond repair. Not to mention the major role your bones and bone marrow play in your circulatory and immune systems that graphene couldn’t replicate. Toss in the fact that REPLACING GOD DAMNED BONES is a needless traumatic procedure that would likely do more harm than good in situations that arent already life threatening.

>2 sheets of graphene stopped a bullet
No. No they didnt. Graphene, by definition, is about one molecule thick. Its not meant to stop bullets and thats not even a potential application that materials engineers are looking into.
>but maybe it was thicker sheets of graphene
Then it was either A) graphite, which is nothing new or revolutionary, or B) closer to many thousands of sheets of graphene, because 2 atoms thick wont fucking cut it.

tl;dr: OP is a brainlet of the highest caliber, and we need to introduce predatory animals into cities to kill off some of the stupid people. This is getting out of hand.

Graphene is probably carcinogenic

We want you to be early adopters to test for complications.

Ai merged chad (0.1%)
>Was mega rich in his mortal life.
>Thinks always in more than 3 dimensions.
>Able to access all human information available and able to understand it like he has always known it.
>Doesn't use vocal cords to communicate with brethren but by means impossible for homosapiens to understand.
>No longer sees normal humans as equals but instead compares them to dogs since they are easy to manipulate.
>Never needs to travel anywhere since he now exists everywhere.
>Has an army of drones that are an extention to himself building a dyson swarm for him.
>Likely to wipe out humanity since they disgust him.
The virgin normal homosapien (99.9%)
>Struggles to think in more than 3 dimensions.
>Has to study hard to learn new concepts which can be stressful and probably will only master one field in his lifetime.
>Uses vocal cords to mostly communicate which can be one dimensional and has to word everything carefully to confuse or offend anyone.
>worships ai merged chad as gods and is both envious and scared of them.
>No longer has a purpose in life since all work is automated and is depressed since the only food available is bland synthetic paste.
>spends a lot of his life either waiting in queues or traveling to places.
>Always has anxiety that he is going to be wiped out because he is no longer needed.