Yukio Mishima

Hey everybody. Which Yukio Mishima novel should I read if I were to only choose one?

Sailor is his best, but I'll still say Confessions.

Trick question. If you only wanted to read one Mishima novel, the only thing you should do is kill yourself.

fpbp

I'm open to reading more of his work if I end up liking one of his novels.

read the sailor who fell from grace with the sea
the onto the Sea of Fertility tetralogy if you like it

Sea of fertility 4th part

I've only read one, and it was The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea
It was recent, and looking for recs of his next novel i should read
>mfw he killed himself with his buddy

Sun and Steel

Sun and Steel is very interesting and gives insight into his life but the next thing you should read is either Death in Midsummer; And other stories or The Temple of the golden pavilion

not a novel

Read Spring Snow. Out of its context, Runaway Horses is a meme

>dad goes out to get you a prostitute
>you go on a rampage against the degenerate and kill yourself

Is runaway horses Elliot Rogers: The Novel?

Sailor who Fell from Grace with the Sea is the best point to begin, I believe.

Seppuku 2: Electric Boogaloo

>tfw halfway through Runaway Horses

The Golden Pavilion all the way

>Read Yukio

Spring Snow.

I've read three, and that's the best one in my opinion.

How complex is it? I just got done with Mason & Dixon and I'm looking for some more simple stuff to take a break, is Mishima for me?

i had read some mishima years ago and decided that i wanted to read more of him. i bought "sailor," and when i opened it up... i discovered that i had already read—and forgotten—this book.

don't read "sailor," opie. read "golden pavilion" instead. the imagery from that book still rings clearly in my mind.

what were the others?

Patriotism was painful to read, in a good way. Im enjoying Temple of the golden pavillion now.

Sea of Fertility is his best work. If you're not comfortable going through the tetralogy, just stick with Temple of the Golden Pavilion if you want something neurotic or Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea for something slightly romantic with captures Mishima's overall impressions on honor, civil duty, and beauty.

>nobody mentions Forbidden Colors as obvious best SINGLE novel (not tetralogy smdh)
>nobody mentions The Sound Of Waves as most accessible starting point

Not a novel, however, I second this motion.

>muh gay
>muh fuck women
forbidden colors is average. Get over it.

i am with this guy, its great but another one thats great is also Sound of Waves which at least makes you feel better.

here's a good walkthrough.

I hope you're not reading him because you like anime though. You'll be disappointed.