So what's your favorite Stephen King book?

so what's your favorite Stephen King book?

i want to say it, but I'm not quite sure

i think i'd say my absolute favorite Stephen King book is
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

closely followed by Duma Key and it

le grinch man

I think Night Shift is an incredibly strong collection that stands alongside the best of short horror/thriller fiction.

Long Walk
Drawing of the Three

this is a literature board

I've only read one Stephen King book and that was it

Thanks, m8. I'll check this out.

The Gunslinger.

I've only read the first four books of the Dark Tower series by him.
The Drawing of the Three is my favorite so far.

>i want to say it, but I'm not quite sure

You want to say what?

The Stand followed closely by Tommyknockers.

Honorable mentions:
It
Needful Things

I can't say The Stand didn't stick with me. And I will say it: "Cell" was not a bad book. A lot of his short stories are great, but I'll always love the Desperation/Regulators books the most: especially the latter.

Not a full-fledged book but The Mist defined what I like about horror.

I like The Mist too

What's your favorite work in the genre as a whole?

This.

Desperation/Regulators was why I dropped him.

I still think of Tak and "dead dogs welcomes you" and the jail scene sometimes, but the books were overall unsatisfying. Maybe I should read it again, since I've become a fan of southwest desert settings.

The Mist.
I don't recall reading so much horror I can pick my favorite, and the only Stephen King novel I read is The Stand. But I guess as far as what's influenced and stuck with me I'd say Dean Koontz's "Watchers," and say what you will about Dean Koontz.

Also I unironically feel that Call of Cthulhu is the best Lovecraft story I've had the pleasure of reading.

What King is great at is describing weird things even weirder: talking about a house decaying on Chef Boyardee is not something you expect to need describing, But King, like Tarantino has his weird fetishes, so words like underoos, and strange paths into sexuality that really don't belong are strongly noted in these places. Most important, it lacks some of the preachy feelings of some of his work like Rose Madder.

>But King, like Tarantino

oh dude Fight Club is such a great movie and I just LOVE 1984 by George Orwell it's like he predicted the future you know..?

That's a good way to describe him. He wanders from the plot so much that he goes into his own head and doesn't have the heart to erase what comes out. I've read a ton of King but slept on a lot of his big titles: Salem's Lot, The Shining, Rose Madder, Needful Things, Misery, Thinner.

Was much more into the King who experimented with sci-fi/fantasy in the Roland stories, Insomnia, Tommyknockers, The Talisman, etc.

the first four Dark Tower books (plus Wind through the Keyhole I guess) because of the strangeness of the world and the enjoyable atmosphere and characters

the fifth book let me down, and I've heard it gets much worse from there

The one with the sewer gangbang

but that's all of them ;DD

You're good.

This scene made me rock hard. Not even kidding. Can anyone recommend something similar?

Thank you, I take great pride in my work.

>inb4 muh diary desu.

no mentioned 11.22.63 yet?

My choice for favorite isn't because it's good; it's not, not really. It's because a lonely 17 year old picked it up in Carbondale, IL one summer and it took him away from the confusion that he was living in and gave him a new world that began with that book and from there he read everything published by King at that point, the Dean Koontz, John Saul, and then Vonnegut, Salinger, Tolkien, up to this date many years later etc.

That book was The Talisman. It isn't his strongest but it's one that I will remember until I am old.

That's a sweet story, user. I hope you have a blessed life.

>how one King novel poisoned a young man's mind and turned him into just another mass producer American ultra-pleb milktoast
Many such cases.

What a soul crushingly sad tale.

Different Seasons

Dubs confirms. I hear you, Territories-mirrorverse bro.

AWOOOOOOO

Wizard and Glass

>
lol

I couldnt finish the Stand, and I love all the childhood parts of "It" but when they are adults it is just embarrassingly bad writing. The part where Haystack is talking about getting whipped with towels in the locker room ends with one of the worst pages I've ever read in my life.

I'm reading it right now and it really ranges from decent, to serviceable, to Neil Breen-esque writing.

>Rose Madder
I'll never look at a tennis ball the same way again, famm.

Why?

Never read any of his books, can I read the dark tower? I stumbled upon some lines saying it's including stuff from his other works if I'm not mistaken, not sure.

Stand by me and Shawshank redemption did a great job with the source material. I liked apt pupil too, but the breathing method was kind of boring imo.

I would read the others first tbqh. The gunslinger is a good start.

I meant the dark tower as a series. I think I read people saying it's kind of related to any older books he made before the pistolero but I'm not sure.

His short stuff always seems better than his fully-fledged novels. I've always been partial to Misery though.

Pet Sematary is his scariest but Misery is his most well written.

The Long Walk

actually made me laugh

The decision to give the National Book Foundation's annual award for "distinguished contribution" to Stephen King is extraordinary, another low in the shocking process of dumbing down our cultural life. I've described King in the past as a writer of penny dreadfuls, but perhaps even that is too kind. He shares nothing with Edgar Allan Poe. What he is is an immensely inadequate writer, on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis.

out of the ones of I've read, which are The Dead Zone, Nightmares & Dreamscapes (a compilation), and The Stand, I liked The Stand the best, but I think some of the short stories in Nightmares & Dreamscapes were some of his best writing
>tfw The End of the Whole Mess
>tfw you could be Bobby or his brother, not in intelligence but in emotional stance
>tfw a younger you would've made the same mistakes

Holy shit is it children's night on Veeky Forums or what? That book was absolute garbage, as is everything I've ever read by him. I dropped The Stand because I couldn't stop wincing and my face was hurting from the effort. His prose reads like a high school essay scribbled down right at the last moment before class starts because you stayed up all night playing Call of Duty, and his awkward injections of curse words and slang is so edgelord it hurts my head to read. His ideas are fine, at times good even, but the execution is downright laughable. His endings are consistently shit (and his fans readily admit this and make excuses, because they have some kind of Stockholm syndrome from having to drag themselves through 1,200 pages of shoddy storytelling and characters who are literally him) and he tries to go on these long, winding tangents to feel like he's one of the greats, but the sad truth is that his writing is far too subpar to get away with that. He's an edgy writer with goofy tiny glasses who pushes out pulp novel after pulp novel knowing that angst teens and horny fathers who read while they shut will mindlessly eat it up, even though they can't even read the tiny-print book title next to the gigantic STEPHEN KING they slap on the cover, knowing thousands will flock to the nearest Walmart to pick up a copy regardless, and that the imminent movie adaption will be sold out within minutes. The only reason anyone thinks he's good is because they've never read anything else, because his career has produced a lifetime's worth of trashy reading, leaving no time to even accidentally discover one of countless novels out there that blow everything he's ever written out of the water. I tried reading On Writing, and realized halfway through that I got duped into letting this graphic-t shirt wearing cokehead drone on and on about his almost impressively boring life with amateurish prose and advice so trite you could get for free on /r/writing.

Whatever the merits of King, whether he's redeemable or not, you are curmudgeon and a child. Cry less about Steve and go work on your masterpiece.

The Wind through the Keyhole.
Great book, yet short and fast-paced, and really it's 3 in 1.

Shut the fuck up, Bloom. Go look like shit-filled beanbag somewhere else.

Thanks for the pasta. Also, King could write circles around you and everybody you know, breh.

Savage

It's easy to write circles around the type of people who stress about every word they type when you're able to vomit whatever you want onto the page knowing that, no matter how much trash you release, you'll always be defended by your fans and your sales will never suffer. Of course, most of those copies will end up on dollar-bins and Goodwills around the country, but I guess that fat check on the mail makes up for any turmoil caused by time spent reflecting on how far you've fallen (and how impressive it is to have fallen any lower than you started.)

make sure to read the Wind through the Keyhole

Rage.

Cell, I know it's not everyones favorite and people have their gripes. But boy do i love it.

That's a neat tale :,)

Hearts in Atlantis... In particular the segment titled: Man, we just couldn't stop laughing

The Stand

M I S E R Y
it has metafiction!!

This was the one Stephen King book I gave up one. Low men in yellow coats was pretty good. Hearts was shit and then I gave up a few pages into the third story.

Night Flier, popsy, the ten o clock people, chattery teeth, and Dolan's Cadillac were all better than that one famm.

Cell was a fun book to read. He exaggerated Mr. Speedy waaayyy to much though. I wish he was more pro gun

I read Salem's Lot when I was 12 and some of the imagery fucked me up for a while.