Grigori Perelman appreciation thread

What happened to him?

Other urls found in this thread:

claymath.org/perelman-laudations
youtu.be/Ng1W2KUHI2s?t=41m35s
kp.ru/daily/26260.3/3138310/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Glabella cancer

He's a man of irreproachable integrity. You should admire him.

when you are too humble you throw away millions and work at a grocery store while living with your mother in a cockroach infested apartment

show more respect, that man is worth more than a million of you. many things are more important than money, and he knows it.

he smart, he loyal, he grateful

Quite the opposite, money no longer impresses you when understand how the universe works and can control it.

What part of integrity means you should give up a prize you're entitled to? Not dissing the dude, if he likes the simple life then God bless, but he'd have just as much integrity if he took the money.

Same shit that happened to me. Got pissed off at how the community shunned his friends or couldn't see how elegant other proofs are, all because mathematicians wanted to 'circle jerk over the number 1' instead of ACTUALLY working like men.

Why didn't he just accept the money and donate it or give a bit to his poor mother?

He had principles, hence he was too good for this world

The man just wants to pick some mushrooms, leave him alone

He didn't feel entitled to it. He was pissed about getting all the credit when many people contributed to the proof with equally important ideas and he just happened to be the guy who got the final step.

For some reason people judge peopless decisions by their own standars. It happended to me before. There was a thread where you could learn any book instantly or be 50 and have money, most people have chosen money. I have chosen alonside a minority the book. Call it r/iamverysmart/ all you will but some people dont see money and life experiences money gives you as the point of our existence. Its all so boring, but knowing shit noone else does, thats something special and i think thats how he thinks about this prize. And as says, there are also other factors influencing his decisionmaking. He didn't need money up untill now, why would he need it now? Surely he could donate it or whatever, but he didnt. Its his life, maybe he has mental isswues, who knows,i think we should respect him for this.

He and his mother are both happy with their lives. I'm sure the prize was donated anyway; insisting he be the one to donate the money probably would have seemed just as pompous to him.

... aquaman?

A man with principles.

What if Perelman actually took the money but didn't want anybody to know.

Isn't he part jew? Why are you an antisemite?

People should stop praising him. So much effort put into raising a great mathematician yet he refused to give back to the mathematical community by not teaching anyone and autistically living in seclusion. Sure, he's done great work in geometry but that doesn't mean anything now. He's just an arrogant asshole who got cucked by the academia.

"He is a great mathematician. He doesn't teach anybody, doesn't interact. He is wasting his talent. A lot of energy was used on him. Many people taught him, he interacted with them. And now he's gone and not giving it back. It is not ethical. " - Mikhail Gromov (an actual great mathematician)

>Mikhail Gromov

NOT true

claymath.org/perelman-laudations

It's not about the money that's why. Brainlets don't understand and cannot think in any other terms except making money.

It was about turning mathematics into a celebrity seeking and prize seeking endeavor, like a gameshow. At the same time he submitted his proof, some Chinese scammers tried to rip him off by also claiming the prize. He spent way too long having to defend his work against scamming Chinese scumbags because money was involved. He also insisted that his work was not the work of a 'lone genius' and based off the work of a US mathematician, who he insisted also share credit and the prize, but they refused. He also did not like the popsci journo celebrity aspect to his life being pried into, he didn't like that his every movement had to be recorded by journo tabloid scum and that the actual mathematics was totally ignored, it all came down to the man not the work.

He works in Europe now, no longer lives in Russia hasn't for a few years. Totally changed his appearance too so no journalists can find him and harass him. Everytime his name is brought up, a brainlet can only conceive the money and think about the money. They have no intellectual capacity to consider anything else except self gratification so will never understand his reasons for refusing it.

I'm not an antisemite. I was just thinking. I appreciate what he has done for mathematics.

>he refused to give back to the mathematical community
hmmm...... I wonder why........... what could they have possible done?

>claymath.org/perelman-laudations
At no point did I mention that Gromov disliked his work. Also, here's proof of that quote:
youtu.be/Ng1W2KUHI2s?t=41m35s

41:35

If you think clay institute and some scumbag mathematicians constitute the mathematical community I have bad news for you. Mathematical community taught him math and made him who he is today. Most people in the community are great guys. He's just a selfish asshole.

>haha maybe he took da monee lol
>WHY ARE U AN ANTISEMIT GOYIM KYS

Sooner or later Poincaré conjecture would have been proved by someone if not P*relman. He is a self-entitled garbage human being.

What sort of obligation does he have to give back to the mathematical community? It's not a scratch the back type of situation, and what if he's a horrible teacher and doesn't like it? No individual has any obligation to give back academically what he has received, and he has earned the right to ignore that obligation anyway through his own contributions. I am sure that no student of his could ever replicate his achievements. And to call it unethical is extremely naive. Is it unethical for a person that has the potential to change the world for the better to ignore his potential? No, because 1. he never knew of that potential in the first place, and 2. there are a lot of philosophical reasonings to do so.

They guy turned down free eye surgery for his mother from st.Petersburg

Lol how much was the money. You know you can use the money to get the book and learn it?

>Proves Poincarré conjecture
>Doesn't even know you can buy stuff with money

hes a schizoid basement dweller, what do you think could've happened to him?

>my way of getting pleasure is better than yours

I feel sorry for you. /pol/ is

>He works in Europe now, no longer lives in Russia hasn't for a few years. Totally changed his appearance too so no journalists can find him and harass him. Everytime his name is brought up, a brainlet can only conceive the money and think about the money. They have no intellectual capacity to consider anything else except self gratification so will never understand his reasons for refusing it.
not too long ago he was filmed by someone while running and was in russian media again

yeah he's an autist, so what?

Money is very overrated if you have all your basic needs covered anyway. I imagine the pleasure you derive from something like proving Poincaré beats getting a bigger tv or a tighter hole that's only with you because of the money

You guys do understand why he turned down the award right? He felt he didn't deserve it as an individual, because his work relied on the work of others, most notably Richard Hamilton. Perelman basically carried out and completed the research program set out by Hamilton, and Perelman felt Hamilton should be acknowledged in addition to himself.

>need to work on proving something
>have no food
>have to work at grocery store for 3 days a week so they give me $15 for food
>no time to work on math
>have million in bank
>dont have to worry about food,bills, etc

so, which one is it then?

I just read about this. Hamilton does deserve a lot of credit. He basically outlined the proof and developed many of the methods in 4-Dimensions. It shows a lot of humility and integrity for Perelman to give him the credit he deserves. I still would have taken the money though. Haha.

kp.ru/daily/26260.3/3138310/

He apparently has a job now

Pretty sure food is a basic need

I know he frequents Veeky Forums but never posts

Okay sorry Grigori, I just asked why you didn't take a bit for your mom, chill.

You don't know this

Fuck off,
he can live as he wants. Who cares. He doesn't own anyone anything for being good at math.

at least i'm not the dumbass falsely accusing people of antisemitism because of vague mostly innocent shit you could misinterpret as so.

Modernity.

I can see him going full kaczynski and mailing bombs to journalists

You don't know what I know

This.

Well it sounded like it so you can kill yourself.

I'm doing the asceticism thing right now. Money is no big deal but when my computer that I bought when I was getting direct deposit breaks then I will really be missing money. Also my computer is Jesus. Will Jesus die? I hope not.

> his every movement had to be recorded by journo tabloid scum and that the actual mathematics was totally ignored, it all came down to the man not the work.

yeah that fucking sucks

why are you doing asceticism and what does it involve?

It's not as autistic as it sounds, mushroom picking is a common pass time in the commieblocks.

Do you habitually drive new Lamborghinis through the Hollywood Hills?

>Call it r/iamverysmart/
can you be any more reddit than this

Not so smart then now is he?

Also, perelman is literally an aspie. Theres a Russian documentary on him and it pretty much states that he can't talk about anything else besides mathematics. He's literally in his own little world and the external world has no meaning to him.

actually the way he dealt with this problem is retarded and because of that I sincerely believe he must have autism
it's obvious that he will get a lot of attention but if you are genius you will use that to your advantage instead of hiding like a rat
and about not accepting the money, he should have simply took it and privately give some of it to Hamilton no one needs to know, money is just a tool, some people think they will prove some superiority by avoiding it, they can't understand it's just a tool
something like not accepting a knife to cut your food because you are more superior spiritualy
that's just lame

He supposedly works at a nanotechnology firm in Northern Europe. There are various reports saying the same thing.

So apparently he has a job now (or did) during those reports.

Ok this is it, I thought they guy was being modest and didnt care about money but hes clearly in his own world, it reminds me of this girl in my linear algebra class who looks so fkn lost even when I ask her a simple question not not related to math. I hate asperger idiots

> he sucks

> I agree