Veeky Forums cringe thread

Check out this tattoo from a self-proclaimed reader of Marx and Infinite Jest.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/107993304
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not that cringy tbqh senpai
It's just a little doodle tattoo, not one of those big ones that cover some great expanse of skin

Thinking about tattooing this on my wrist: -.. ..-. .--
Would it be a Veeky Forums tattoo?

vimeo.com/107993304

vimeo.com/107993304

Veeky Forums douche chill the video

Tatoos that directly reference literature isn't Veeky Forums its reddit geek culture.
This is no different or dignified than getting a triforce or horcrux tattoo

why why why do fags love to participate in ash wednesday so much

Veeky Forums tattoo thread?
Here's Raskolnikov. Fun fact, the ghosted words around him in the mirror are the opening lines to Notes in Russian.
Inb4edgy

bottom left cover is where I learned what Saturnalian meant.

It is edgy, but that's still a pretty cool tattoo. I can appreciate good art, even if I don't really like tattoos.

>implying Raskalnikov is related to the Underground Man

Top pleb

>I can appreciate good art
No you can't

Tattoos are just shit in general 2bh

>that sub-deviant art tier doodle
>good art

if i ever get a tattoo, it's going to be on the edge of my foot, and it's going to be the hexameter pattern
--u--u-uII--u--u-u

I bet you're a woman and I bet your fanny smells really bad

i am a girl (male)

-"What does that tattoo mean?"
-"Well it's from a novella about paranoia. You've probably never heard of it."
legit embarrassing.

You know Raskolnikov commited the murder with the BACK of the hatchet righ?

are you implying i've actually read it? it's like 600 pages i can't read all that

>Waiting at the bus stop to go down town and get coffee
>Random guy: "Hey what's that tattoo on your leg?"
> *scoff* "If I told you then it would ruin it"
>Bus shows up and I scoff the whole time as I throw my leg up on the chair in front of me, forcing plebs to notice the tattoo that proves I'm vv smart and read
>Get to Starbucks and there's a line
> Woman behind me: "Hey, nice tattoo."
>People gaze over their Mac books in order to see the tattoo she's talking about.
>One dude gets up and falls to his knees, pulling out his cock and jacking off
>Next thing I know 4 other guys and 2 girls are all circled around my leg masturbating furiously.
> "It's such a good story" "Oedpia is an allusion to Oedipus" "I know what the title means!" "I carved the trumpet into a stall at some bar downtown."
>They all cum on my leg and I move up to place my order.
> Cashier: "Oh that's a cool tattoo. I like V. much better though"
>Me: "What's V.?"

i despise how minimalism has become the bourgeois graphic design zeitgeist considering how cool it was for about a year

It's still cool

Its got that way in fashion and design too. Blame Apple

What do we have here?

>midnight in paris
>a clock pointing to midnight

It wouldn't because Crying is pretty bad. Tattoo something else, a rocket maybe.

Lets be real, we can make fun of these tattoos online but if we saw someone with a pynchon tattoo in public there'd be no way not to comment on it.

>nice tat man. I love pynchon
>who?

>talking to people

Yeah but it's less cool if the blood is on the back of the hatchet

I'm not really in any pop culture loop and I think this is cool. In fact, I haven't seen a single one of these movies.

what is this shit

>This is no different or dignified than getting a triforce or horcrux tattoo
It's a bit better since it references a better work

>The Hurt Locker
>a butthole
kek

That just shows you should know better

Tats are not Veeky Forums
Tats are not good
Tats are lower class criminal scum tier shit.
They are not art
They are not deep
They are a mistake made in early age

>lower class criminal scum
Interesting that you associate "criminal" with "lower class".

No, I associate tats with criminals from the lower class. Tats are much less common on upper/ upper middle class criminals. Mid/ low mid they are probably a bit more common, but after a while they probably drop into lower class anyway.

>North by Northwest
>a compass
>North by Northwest is not a direction point on a compass
Fucking idiots

Why do hipsters always get a tattoo from Rugrats' shortest book?

ok

Only one they've read because it is short, they don't care about his other works.

dude, what? it's between north and northwest. you've never heard it on the weather, that the wind is blowing north by northwest or whatever?

I they're saying that on the weather it's wrong, should be northwest by north. However I didn't mean to say that northwest is not a direction.
I think the title is referring to the airline but this could be wrong. And if they knew anything about the movie they'd do a train or something I mean for god's sake

Tattoos are the working class stamp

I explained poorly, here is a picture, this all comes from an old naval practice called boxing the compass

every fucking person i've ever met with the deathly hallows tattoo was a fucking landwhale with blue hair and nothing to say in their writing except erotic fan-fic.

honestly, tattoos are only to reinforce inner beliefs, and beliefs change. so if you change, how do you change your tattoo without paying more money? it's a fucking advertisement scam.

>Chrysippus.jpg

It's more of a reassurance like with the dyed hair to make them believe they are someone who is going against the collective individualism rather than despite ironically conforming.

what was the name of this anime again? I've been meaning to check it out

Bernard Jou Iwaku

Anons compiled a list of all the books that got name dropped but I've lost that.

ugh it makes me feel like a pseud whenever I see pics of people with that Pynchon tattoo. I would never get one, but something about seeing someone who clearly misses the point of the book so badly and wants to show off to the world that they have read it anyways makes me think I'm really dumb for caring about it

This reading comprehension. Never change lit.

I was expecting that to be cringeyer but in the end he's just a guy who really likes something. It may be cringeyer to make fun of him anonomously on the internet.

>The story centers around a lazy girl's love for famous literary works along with her bookworm friends. Sawako "Miss Bernard" Machida wants to be well-versed in literature but she doesn't actually read those books! Encounter various prominent works including the Bible, The Tale of the Heike, The Great Passage, Fermat's Last Theorem and more that she hasn't read.

>someone made an anime about us

I don't really watch anime but I just watched this entire show. There's only 12 three minute episodes so it barely took anymore. It's pretty cute and comfy, would recommend.

You gotta check it out, it's comfy.

The association exists on its own part

Why is she sitting so dominantly?

It would follow though wouldn't it that NbNW would be between NbW and N

>tfw Bernard will never step on my dick while dissing Pynchon

>Weak, skinny, degenerate nu-males

Sounds about right.

As a symbol it looks good, certainly better than the disgusting usual tattoos. Meaning is another thing entirely.

you can't be Veeky Forums and have any tattoos

That's actually a really funny picture

This is so fucking tacky

Just caught this one in /wsg/

I really don't believe that these people just "missed" the point of the book like you think. Not everyone shows off their tattoos, too.

No.

Are they lower class because they're criminals, or are they criminals because they're lower class?

This mindset always baffles me. Calling yourself a bibliophile, but not wanting to commit to large books. Like, would you have spent that time reading regardless? In my experience, longer books by good authors tend to be far more rewarding.

They literally only
Got it because Radiohead (a nu male favorite) appropriated pynchon's symbolism.

When did Radiohead use Pynchon? I know a song off of Hail to the Thief is inspired by V., but other than that?

I know, right?

The Hunt for Red Rectum

>Both Radiohead and Yo La Tengo have included Pynchonesque motifs in their works, some of them hinging upon The Crying of Lot 49.[10] Yo La Tengo named a song "The Crying of Lot G" on their album And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out. Radiohead alludes to the novel in the name of their online merchandise shop and mailing list, W.A.S.T.E. (which originally sent out physical mail, making the reference more apt).
According to the Wikiped

Not even the good David Lynch movie

tattoos are not and never will be Veeky Forums

Wrong.

He is associating tattoos with criminals of the lower class, as opposed to white collar wall street criminals who tend not to have a swastika on their forehead.

The Pulp Fiction symbol isn't even the dashed rectangle she makes??? Did they watch these movies?

>muh super secret literary club

they teach Crying in university courses as well

>t. guy with the tat

I was expecting that to be cringeyer, but in the end they are just guys who really like to make fun of people anonomously. It may be cringeyer to make fun of them making fun of others on the internet.

It is inarguable that the video, and the dude, is pretentious. It offends my taste, but that doesn't really mean anything. Video sucks.

Eh that tattoo isn't so bad as far as literary tattoos go. The symbol is cool-looking and at least it's not a quote. I don't much like tattoos in general though unless they're sleeves/blended, so it's not something I'd get

>t. 19 year old college student who calls himself cinephile and loves tarantino

It was always shit. Instead of an illustration that makes you want to see the movie you have a dull graphic statement that only makes sense to people have already seen the movie and "get it".

Isn't that from the Crying of Lot 49?

dude, fuck off its a secret symbol...

Are you really not allowed to like something when it becomes mainstream? The movie posters in are terrible but that's more the fact that its a bunch of stupid "oh, I saw that movie and understand that" references and obviously amateurish designs than the style as a whole.Trends come and go, all of which have good and bad instances within them. If your opinion is just "the popular thing is bad" and you support yourself with strawmen then really you're no better than the redditors, just more disagreeable.

I can see myself typing something out like that guy, but meaning that it sucks that you just see more of it as it has become popular because you see a lot more shitty examples of the style.

I have a subtle Kurt Vonnegut tattoo, and I will never be included in pictures like these.

I think it's supposed to be a line of heroin

it's not the fact that "too many people like it"; it's that it becomes kitsch. (Look up "Avant-Garde and Kitsch" by Clement Greenberg if you haven't read it.) Once a style becomes commodified, its original impetus to exist becomes obscured while its aesthetics become caricatured. The movie poster example is bad art because its maker failed to understand that minimalism is more than just "simple shapes and designs," and completely ignores the conceptual reasons for creating such an aesthetic in the first place. (Of course, there is no consensus among artists for a singular objective for minimalist art, but if you want an example you can look into John Cage and his circle being influenced by Eastern philosophy. Their motive in the minimal was trying to strip away all of art's unnecessarily decorative aspects to focus purely on art as an object creating a relationship with the viewer. When the aesthetic is stripped down to its barest roots of line and color, the relationship of viewer to art was no longer mediated by representational thinking and instead could be appreciated as an object first (in a sort of naturalist, Zen-inspired disposition)).

Anyway, the posters fail as minimalist art because there is a contradiction in trying to focus on simple shapes yet still relying on concepts central to the movie. So for LOTR, the circle has no value as a circle but only as a reference to the fictional ring portrayed in the movie (ie it has been made into a symbolic commodity (cf Baudrillard)). Its properties as a circle are neglected and thus any possible aesthetic exploration is blocked off at the pass. So instead of the circle being chosen in the process of reducing an aesthetic vision to its most essential elements of line and color, it is instead created through the mentality of reference. At a fundamental level, then, the posters are NOT minimalist art. They think they are but miss all the essential ingredients for why the movement was good in the first place.

It's inevitable that any new artistic style become kitsch, but still unfortunate because it signals the end of the movement's ability to be fresh. Of course, the reddit style of minimalism came long after the heyday of minimal art in Russia in the 1910s and then America in the 50s and 60s, but nonetheless the explosion in minimalist art on the internet in the early 2000s is partly responsible for minimalism being THE main style right now. (Look at the gradual simplification of logos like Pepsi or Windows for proof of minimalism being the dominant aesthetic.) A style becoming mainstream actively obscures its moral reasons for existing, and in minimalism I find this especially lamentable given that I think it has a lot to offer the world nowadays.

Is the joke here the "what I expected" part? I'm no Vonnegut fan by any degree, but you seriously expected a novelization of Reservoir Dogs? What, are you a 14 year old reading their first full novel? Just because of "slaughterhouse" being in the title? Fucking lame.

these people must know that the asterisk is explicitly an asshole, as in an anus
why would you tattoo an anus on yourself??

well they were tattooing vonnegut on themselves.

Minimalism is synonymous with autism.

The only bad films David E V E R made are Dune and The Straight Story, plebe