Terraforming Mars

Guys I really need to talk about Mars here I've been obsessing over it for a while now and I need he smartest people I know to give it to me straight.

With the current rapid development of technology how soon until humanity finally terraforms Mars? The way I see it the main problems are:
-Need Magnetosphere
-Toxic Soil
-Need more atmosphere

The water problem should be covered from the planet's polar ice caps, and here should be enough CO2 in the ground to jump-start a greenhouse effect once all other elements are in place, but the above-mentioned factors seem like the biggest tasks to tackle. I just really want humanity to have whales and Redwood trees and new national borders and seas and deer and Kiwi birds and stuff on another planet like our own, at the very least after my lifetime, ya' know?

Please if anyone can contribute to discussion that'd be great thank you I love you guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Snows-Olympus-Garden-Mars/dp/0393039110
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MAGNETOSPHERE PLS

Never, it's a pipe dream.

So I should just end it now?

Not only is it probably impossible, it would also take a million years and trillions of dollars. If you really want to live on Mars you can just build closed cities with fraction of the cost

If that's the only thing keeping you alive?

Yes.

Try reading Arthur C Clarke's take on how it might be done.
amazon.com/Snows-Olympus-Garden-Mars/dp/0393039110

If Veeky Forums has the smartest people you know, I feel sorry for you. There are smart people here, but they're drowning in a sea of trolls.

Saying something will never happen is retarded. If we don't cause our own extinction, or revert back into the dark ages from nigger overpopulation, we will terraform Mars at some point. Honestly terraforming Mars is nothing compared to the other things future humans will do, like building dyson swarms and relativistic starships.

>Terraforming Mars

100,000 to 400,000 years required for that process.

>living on Mars before it is properly terraformed

JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES

I think the first step would be to add a great deal of water. Might I suggest the Oort cloud? Once that is accomplished you can electrolysis the water into O2. The hard part is raising the temperature which would be "simply" to add carbon dioxide and let the planet take over from there. Maybe harvest the outer planets for methane.

Water would also solve the problem of dust. Mars dust is extremely fine shit because there's no water to keep the tiny particles from clumping and lithifying it gets finer and finer over the millenia until what you have now is crazy shit that gets in absolutely everything.

Orbiting superconducting magnets have been proposed.

You can also have mirrors in space to add more heating.

How to Terraform Mars

Goal: Human beings living and reproducing on Mars, breathing in open atmosphere at close to 1g.

Step 1: Bring all asteroids, comets, and most moons of the solar system to Mars and slam them into Mars with as much velocity as possible at roughly the same moment in time.
Wait time: This will depend on the technology level. Most likely 100-500 years.

Step 2: Wait for Mars' geological processes to calm down as well as for debris in the system to settle so space travel through the solar system and to Mars can begin again.
Wait time: Geological processes should calm enough in only 1,000-2,000 years, but space debris may take up to as long as 10,000 years to properly settle enough to be navigable.

Step 3: Inoculate Mars with bacteria, fungi, and other extremophiles, to begin biosphere transformation.
Wait time: Earliest estimate would be 50,000 years if continually inoculated. Longest estimate 300,000 years.

Step 4: Introduction or larger flora and fauna for faster biosphere transformation.
Wait time: 1,000 to 2,000 years

Step 5: Open-air Colonization begins in earnest.
Total time from beginning to colonization: 61,100 to 312,500 years.

NOTE: Self-contained biospheres can be constructed during Step 3. Colonists can live on the planet at that time since gravity will be as close to 1g as possible by that time. There won't be an atmosphere yet so everything will need to be self-contained. While Open-air Colonization could begin during Step 4, the reason for the wait time is to ensure the atmosphere and biosphere of the planet is properly stable over the long term. Without Step 1, there won't be enough gravity for healthy humans.

Assuming it's even possible, why would anyone go through all that trouble when there are much better options?

Just make gigantic domed habitats.

>Step 1: Bring all asteroids, comets, and most moons of the solar system to Mars and slam them into Mars with as much velocity as possible at roughly the same moment in time.
That will turn the planet into hot liquid lava.

>Step 2: Wait for Mars' geological processes to calm down as well as for debris in the system to settle so space travel through the solar system and to Mars can begin again.
Returning to a solid crust will take a LOT more time.

Yes, that is the whole point. To get its core restarted, but also to give it enough mass to reach near 1g. The cooling down times ......hrm.....those numbers were supposed to be 100,000 to 200,000 not 1,000 to 2,000. My bad. No wonder I thought the total time was off. Like 100k to 500k total time, similar to the numbers in Thanks for the heads up.

perhaps instead of terraforming mars,
marsiform people. It is possible with genetic engineering rudimentary ecosystems could be made(but would need to be under the ground or in huge domes due to radition) but we do not have the technoledgy to geneticly eingneer life for the martian enviroment(though it is certainly possible). besides building citys under mars would probably be easier

The main problem is gravity. It affects pretty much every tiny system in the human body. We can't even engineer ourselves in almost any manner where the genes would be passed onto the next generation let alone marsiform us. I really don't think we will even reach Gattaca level of engineering for humans.

>We can't even engineer ourselves in almost any manner where the genes would be passed onto the next generation let alone marsiform us.
That is what CRISPR/Cas9 does.

Just make a few Steps East or West and eventually you'll find a habitable Joker to live on.

Tunnels are always the answer, living undergroud solves everything. COme with me! COme to mars become a Space Mole!!.

>marsiform people
marsiform people, Sir you won this thread by thousands of points.

marsiform people
yeaa!!!

Very poorly. Good luck getting it to change things in the manner that it needs to be for something like marisforming.

>how soon until humanity finally terraforms Mars
Never. Ever.
Give it a rest. Let it go.

Considering we already have the means to do it, hardly. What it is, is expensive like nothing before, risky as fuck and likely to produce a lot of dead extremely trained, educated, intelligent and thus expensive and hard to replace people. And most of all, it's going to take shit loads of time.

So right now, the only delay really is the fact that we need to develop our technology and of course collect more information to make it feasible.

ONE THING AT A TIME PEOPLE.
First we have to cure aging. As immortals, we will have a much better time solving anything.

No you stupid shit. Hair growth to prevent balding and penis lengthening come first!

because we can
that's the same reason we've used for most of our grand projects
we never needed to build kilometer high buildings or demolish parts of mountains to make giant fucking monuments
that sure as fuck didn't stop us though

Oort cloud is too far away
the amount of energy it would take to haul something back in timespans shorter than centuries would cost more than the rock would be worth
Star lifting would get us more and get it far quicker, at the cost of being a fucking nightmare of an engineering project

you smash big ass asteroids and comets into it until its the size of earth and has enough water.

>doing one thing at a time
dumbass

Will probably never happen, but doesn't need to.

Sexbots and vr come first.

Why not just send a mini black hole in a retrograde motion near Mars? It should send Mars back and time to where it used to have an atmosphere and possibly life.

There is no evidence that you can though and nobody has ever built skyscapers for fun. It would literally cost more money than there exists in the world right now, nobody is going to make that kind of investment for fun

Why terraform when you could just build bases under & on its surface?

We are in the process of changing the environment on Earth without making any plans to do so. Given a plan and concerted effort to change Mars it seems that would be possible.

How strong would these magnets have to be?

It would only be a matter of time before some sjw made a law that 50% of colonists have to be dindus for equality reasons. Another planet fucked.

I feel there just isn't enough co2 in mars's ice caps. And where would you get the all the water, oxygen and nitrogen from?

stop trying to false flag /pol/ again
it's been stale and boring for a long ass while now

Make a better engine first.

best of luck.

the problem with Mars is its low surface gravity (around 1/3 g). while atmosphere and magnetosphere can be terraformed, we're stuck with the gravity, and we're not sure if it's enough for long-term habitability.

as I said in the other thread, Venus is a far better prospect for terraforming. all it needs is lots of hydrogen and a catalyst -- from there, let the Bosch or Sabatier reactions take over, converting the hellish atmosphere into h20 and byproduct (either graphite or methane). then let it cool down, let excess nitrogen be absorbed into the oceans, and make final adjustments (more oxygen, etc). it would be almost like earth at that point. the gravity is 0.9 g which should be fine. and the slow rotation rate would lead to increased albedo on the sunside, so that wouldn't be an issue either. all you would need for long-term habitability is a magnetosphere to prevent a runaway greenhouse effect from happening again.

tl;dr: Venus>Mars for terraforming. just add hydrogen.

fuckin magnets, how do they work?

>imitate a Mars habitat on Earth
>land some shit
>build an inflatable house, dig some tunnels, live comfy

>imitate a Venus habitat on Earth
>have to construct the equivalent of a Zepellin that will never have to land and orbits the Earth at ten kilometers high, has a finite amount of usable space and is basically a floating turbulent prison that has to be dropped in from orbit

Hmm

did you read my post? I'm not advocating for cloud city. I'm arguing that Venus has much better potential for terraforming.

if you don't terraform, it makes more sense to live in space stations than on a hostile surface imo.

>Orbiting
I don't thing that would be a safe placing

we don't know well how will are fetal development under 1g but above 0g

JELLO BABIES!!!!

0.37 is closer to 0 than it is to 1 so my guess is not great.

Hope the colonists enjoy the brooding centrifuges.