Just finished reading this

just finished reading this

anyone have thoughts?

>tfw no one wants to discuss this

really enjoyed the set up to action, and the last 150 pages seriously confirm this

MAKE HIS FIGHT ON THE HILL IN THE EARLY DAY

Not many Hemingway fans here it seems. I've never read anything by him, but I want to read The Sun Also Rises.

I had a thought about my dick

The only good part was the chapter with the old man waiting in the forest.

Beautifully structured. I love how the stance towards the bridge is really a stance towards life in general. I enjoyed how Robert Jordan became less and less cool. I'll be haunted for the rest of my life by the chapter where they deal with the priests, 10 I think?

I also find the bits everyone else finds to be cringy to be a pretty realistic when you remember that Maria and Robert Jordan are both young people from rural backgrounds.

>bits everyone else finds cringy

which sections in particular?

el sordo and the comrade voyager I think may be one of my favorite passages in fiction desu

Maria and his relationship felt very natural and the stuff about Madrid was excellent

Most people I've talked to say the Maria/Jordan relationship is unrealistic, but I find they're generally readers of contemporary fiction who are projecting the sexual and romantic mindsets of today back onto the characters. People just weren't that sophisticated.

I'd say it was more honest as opposed to unsophisticated. The novel opens with Robert Jordan noticing who amongst those he met were the "good ones", the people you find who are honest in the kind of way that's hard to put into criteria but you recognize if you are honest too.

plebs don't understand

bump

I assumed Maria was more naive before she was raped and was more open to finding love, the opposite of her experience.
It was a different time.

this is the only hemmingway i haven't read, is it anywhere as good as a farewell to arms?

You made me turn this song on, thanks user.

buildup is longer and payoff is better

Way better IMO

wrong

do you have any reasons

just my opinion, bro :')

I liked it a lot. The Maria scenes were lovely but I remember enjoying most of it.

I liked it better than The Sun Also Rises, if that tells you anything.

All right thanks. For whatever reason I had filed it in the shit bin among across the river into the trees & to have and have not. Guess I will read it then.

Hated it. Boring, mundane, with an overused, cliche platitude as the message. The prose was bad, the characters were too( although I admit Pablo was well written).

Save yourself TSAR for later or you won't really enjoy him. Do something like:
Old Man and the Sea -> Short Stories -> For Whom The Bell Tolls -> Island in the Stream -> A Farewell to Arms/ TSAR -> w/e is left over if you are still interested.

The caricature of the anarchists made me a little upset but it's still a very good book.