Baby's first

>Gauss and Euler are the greatest mathematicians ever

t. brainlet

>Grothendieck is the most significant mathematician since Euclid

T. Intellectual

>mathematician since Euclid
I thought he was the greatest wizard since gandalf

what did Grothendieck do that was so special?

THE GOATENDIECK

everything

My advisor told me a story about a postdoc or someone who went to visit Grothendieck and was able to find his house just by describing him to other people in the village (it's a small village). When he got to his door he asked Grothendieck if he had any manuscripts he could look at. Grothendieck went inside for a few minutes and the guy was excited because he thought he was in there looking around for papers. Grothendieck walked out with a fork, stabbed the guy and went back inside.

He thought in a way that produced very beautiful results. Mathematicians tried to emulate his style, and that ended up revolutionizing pretty much every area of pure mathematics.

It's hard to explain specifics unless you know a fair bit of algebraic geometry, though.

desu I recently read of grothendieck and yep the man was a fucking beast
>After arriving in Paris in 1948, he soon leaves for Nancy where mathematicians of the internationally-renowned group “Bourbaki” [the name of an imaginary mathematician] such as Jean Dieudonné and Laurent Schwartz would train and mentor him as much as possible. Soon the disciple surpasses his masters: to test him, they give him fourteen problems that they have failed to solve. He can choose the problem that interests him the most… Dieudonné tells the story: “In less than a year, he had solved all our problems! ”

I mean, fuck.

Was his anti nuclear proliferation stance a sign of him being a political brainlet?

Daaaaamn.

No, but you couldn't possibly understand.

is he really greater than Gauss though?

........nice

archimedes was objectively the smartest
look how much he did without anything to work off

who is archimedes?

Is this guy being shilled because he's jewish? Or is he genuinely one of the best mathematicians in history?

>Is this guy being shilled because he's jewish?
His father was likely jewish or mostly jewish. His mother wasn't jewish. He wasn't religious. He did identify with his father, but religious jews would not consider him jewish. Very few people know about him outside of mathematics. He certainly was not shilled like Einstein was.

>Or is he genuinely one of the best mathematicians in history?

Time will tell. I don't understand algebraic geometry, so I can't give a real opinion, but his work is still relatively recent.

>Grothendieck walked out with a fork, stabbed the guy and went back inside.
kek

NEWTON

That appeared on New York Times IIRC.

Cauchy was way smarter

wasn't he a radical catholic though?

so?

means he's like a dumb ass

Exactly. Way smarter.
>Le religion is evil meme
Grow up. Every intellectual worth their salt was and is religious.

stop making me feel uncomfortable desu

>post about some mathematician
>image of Michel Foucault
why

What where the problems though?

Most mathematicians I've met are shit in everything outside of anything analytical with exactly specified borders.

In fact I would say that all people that are really brilliant in something most people would find hard, are themselves completely incapable of some things the average person would find almost innate.

Just because you brain is wired to perform certain tasks amazingly, doesn't mean they also perform every other task above-average.

its grothendieck

this is bullshit
your brain isn't "wired" for anything you moron.
if you're smart, you're smart. that's the end of it.
can you really call someone that is good at math but can't figure out how to bake a cake smart?
if he was smart he'd be mentally limitless.
obviously he's just a memorizing monkey if he can do math but not bake, and he just hasn't had enough time to memorize baking.
i.e he's a moron like you.

someone as idiotic as you isn't qualified to judge whether mathematicians are good or bad at anything