Romantic Lines for Literature

What are your favorite romantic lines from books Veeky Forums, or have you written any of your own you care to share?

I'll start:

"I'm nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts, and i've lead a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeded as gloriously as anyone has ever lived. I've loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough."

-The Notebook

OC

"You've got substance to you, you're healthy and you're wholesome. And that is what's so wonderful about you. That no matter how frail or small you might be, that even if I were strong, I would never be able to hold all that you are in my arms."

"But it turns out our song was futile ,and in vain we burned night in and night out. If we have finished with that old affair, Then those nights have too gone away." -By the Long Road, Russian Folk Song

I've used this one on a few girls. I look at them a lot and they're like what are you looking at? And I say, I enjoy looking at beautiful people

Did you just fucking call me fat?

'Reader, I married him'

Woah user are you a poet or something?

shid

The one line from Winnie-the-Pooh was really sweet, even if the context wasn't exactly romantic.

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus a day, so I never have to live without you."

With success? Flattery, seduction.. where are these threads?

I used a Fitzgerald quote on a girl once and it worked.
>be me
>manlet
>at college party
>older girl i like is there too
>talking with me and a few other girls
>all a little drunk and i was riding a high after saving the party earlier
>the girls start talking about shitty compliments they got from guys in the past
>or how ex boyfriends had refused to compliment them
>pickbrain.exe activated
>360 in place and tip party fedora
>"well hey, who wants a free compliment?
>all three perk up and turn to me
>first two are fairly standard
>was just pulling shit out of my ass here, but it was nice and they were drunk so they ate it up none the less
>get to girl i like
>pause a moment to think, even though i know i got this
>She knows i like her and we've gone out once before
>putting all my chips forward now with the hopes she likes Fitzgerald

"You're beautiful. But not like the girls you see in the magazines. You're beautiful for the way you think. You are beautiful for that spark you get in your eye when you talk about something you love. You're beautiful for bringing a smile to everyone's face even when you're sad. You're not beautiful for something as fleeting as how good you look. You're beautiful deep down in your soul.

>momentary pause
>other girls gush
>potential waif leans in and gives me a long hug and two separate kisses on the cheek
>i give one back

all in all, i think it worked out well. you just have to know how and when to pull these things out. kinda like weaponized autism, but more cultured.

Is that The Beautiful and Damned? One of my favorites. If the Fitz haters would read something besides Gatsby, I think they would appreciate him better.

"Isn't it pretty to think so?"

One of the greatest

I cannot express it; but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is or should be an existence of yours beyond you. What were the use of my creation, if I were entirely contained here? My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning: my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.

Just awful! Have a Fitzgerald story
>just me on a train to dc to watch a few international football matches
>staying at my roommate's folks house
>pleasant wkend of hangover football, the usual
>for train ride home choose This Side of Paradise
>board all but abandoned train, scan cars for qt's, find one, sit across the aisle but she's reading so I read
>and read
>finally she asks me, politely, what are you reading?
>i show her the cover, she shows me hers- we're reading the same thing..
>this breaks the ice. we have a wonderful conversation for about 3 hours in the midst of which we discover we'll be debarking at the same station
>she is from detroit. and making the trip to meet her yr long on-line bf, who is a sailor
>we arrive. alone on the platform is my dad and some character in a sailor suit. it appears they'd been talking
>she rushes to meet him, jumps into his arms and wraps her legs around his waist
>etc.
>my dad does however take me out to eat
>that evening i finish the book.

I've been lucky, so i can't complain. Even glad it happened the way it did.

These arguments he us'de, and many more,
Wherewith she yeelded, that was won before.

This Side of Paradise is shit though

"without the least warning, a blue sea-wave swelled under my heart and from a may in a pool of sun, half naked, kneeling, turning about on her knees, there was my Riviera love peering at me over dark glasses"

"I looked and looked at her, and knew as clearly as I know I am to die, that I loved her more than anything I had ever seen or imagined on earth, or hoped for anywhere else"

I don't know. I enjoyed reading it, and really liked the conclusion. The only of his books I've read more than once is TN, however. For me he's not a favorite, but I have no real complaint.

>If the Fitz haters would read something besides Gatsby
Guilty. Read it in High School, was taught about his dominating wife and him being insecure and lost interest in anything else he had possibly done.
What would you perhaps then recommend?

I would recommend Tender is the Night, his prettiest work, The Beautiful and Damned, my favorite, and a book of his short stories.

I don't like This Side of Paradise personally, but its his first so reading it is important for seeing him develop his style.

Gatsby is also unironically good, if you somehow weren't forced to read it, but high schools have turned it into a meme.

hey! it's helped move things along between me and her. like i said, i'm short and lanky. my brain and the words I use are my best asset here!

and damn, i bet that was a pretty empty feeling evening. I know I would have felt like shit after that.

Nothing to add other than to say this thread has that rare comfy feeling. Good stuff everyone.

source on those? i really like the second one. links between mortality and love are a sweet spot for me.

cut back on the initial remarks, bit to common sounding. is she large or is she small, physically or all encompassing. work on the descriptions and distinctions.

“I want to sleep with you. Now, tonight, and at any time you may care to call me. I want your naked body, your skin. your mouth, your hands...—I want you like an animal...or a whore.”

"I love you so much that nothing can matter to me—not even you. Can you understand that? Only my love—not your answer. Not even your indifference.”

“She thought that they had not greeted each other and that it was right. This was not a reunion, but just one moment out of something that had never been interrupted. She thought how strange it would be if she ever said “Hello” to him; one did not greet oneself each morning.”

Lolita

The ass is fat and so am I.

In all honesty, you're never gonna out do Shakespeare. The guy was something else.

>guy
stay woke sista

Aw sheeiitit
I 4got we wuzza been poetz n play rites n sheiit

"Eyes without feeling, feeling without sight,
Ears without hands or eyes, smelling sans all,
Or but a sickly part of one true sense
Could not so mope. O shame, where is thy blush?
Oh curse fuck, I forget thee I do
You can't blush, for you're a nigger"

“You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I fucked them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole.”

It was. But like many questionable or even bad memories (I got mugged once) over time, I like it for having been the way it was.

I can relate, I've got a few memories like that.

joyce?

I can't get the glow of your bright face smiling up at me, or the memory of you silently hiding behind me when you saw a spider, out of my head.
Curse the frigid arctic uncaring climate we live in, making any amount of empathy and caring become ecstasy.
Even an igloo at 5 below is warm compared to the outside.

He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking.
-Anna Karenina

Feel this one is pretty sweet.

The Age Of Innocence is patrician