Anyone watching/reading handmaid's tale?

Anyone watching/reading handmaid's tale?

isn't the premise of the show basically what Muslim middle eastern countries are like? so why are they using it to make Christians look bad?

Because Christianity is the hip cool thing to make fun off

and Christians don't go ballistic and behead/bomb/shoot/stone/etc. you if you critizese their religion

MOHAMMAD WAS A FEMINIST YOU RACIST REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

perhaps it's an attempt to covertly criticize without earning any major ire. but what would i know, i've neither read nor seen handmaid's tale.

it's more relevant than ever because under trump it looks like people will have to pay for their own abortions

Just looked up the wiki

>THE CHRISTIANS ARE COMIN' FER YA BIRTH CONTROL AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

That said, has anyone read this? Is it a good read?

god forbid

I know this is meant to be trolling, but I got triggered anyways.

1. They hang a priest in the first episode
2. The religion practiced is objectively not Christian (ie, the faith taught by Christ)
Subtle, 6/10

Its the future if David Koresh became a senator and an infertility plague hit.

Also, did anyone else chuckle when all the whores are given their due?

The book came out in 1985, at the height of the power of the Religious Right. After the feminism of the 1970s, a lot of feminists and liberals thought we were close to women being literally enslaved like in the book, so it touched on a cultural moment. Atwood also promoted the book in this fashion, suggesting the book was based on factual history, and that this could be "re-imposed": she referenced the Puritans frequently. However, this was based on her caricaturized view of the Puritans, rather than facts, and goes directly against the story of the Handmaid's Tale, as the Puritans were one of the earliest Christian sects post-Reformation to declare that sex was also for pleasure, rather than the traditional Catholic teaching that it was for reproduction.

This reputation has managed to stick with the book since it came out.

The original book was written in 1985, fundie Christian militias taking over was a good deal closer to representing who'd most want to institute super-patriarchy in the US. Even in the early 2000's the Religious Right kept it pretty relevant, though of course highly exaggerated.

It's almost a nostalgia-fest now, but part of the setup in the original is that they killed the politicians and blamed it on the Muslims, so the takeover still has to be domestic. The only way to not be dated would be to basically make the bad guys /pol/ if you replaced the pollution with real-world anxiety about birth rates it'd be fucking dead-on, but that approach would have far greater problems, as much as I'd enjoy a scene of Pepe cosplayers shooting up Congress and shouting REEEEEEEEE.

>isn't the premise of the show basically what Muslim middle eastern countries are like?
It's a pretty accurate portrayal of any fundamentalist religious country. And if they existed, probably a good portrayal of a 'fundamentalist' secular country. It's basically a picture of society at a certain and place, represented through the locus of the U.S, the eighties, and Christianity, but doesn't necessarily need to be read as such.

Because leftist writers are usually very cowardly.

t. hasnt read the book

>isn't the premise of the show basically what Muslim middle eastern countries are like?
muslim women have actual power in muslim societies, maybe this is what it's like for the yazidis under ISIS

kek

>Anyone watching/reading handmaid's tale?
the 'people' who get wet over this show or book are not 'people' that I wish to associate with.

will boycott book and show

It's a critique of religion that describes women as second class citizens. It uses Christianity because it is set in the United States.

canadians have fucked up fantasies, i can't wait for them to make the one about the bear.

>critique religions that follow this men>women dichotomy
>these religions have existed for thousands of years
>have given birth to the most prosperous civilizations in the history of the world
>critique has had no effect on their power whatsoever

It made me think.

Man describes a dystopian future:
>govt. invades your privacy
>people are controlled and categorized
>only a few people are allowed to achieve their goals
>lies and deceit are used to control the populace

Woman describes a dystopian future:
>you have to have sex but not with chad
>you can't wear pretty clothes

this shit is retarded

30 million people will have to pay for all their health care, if Trump has his way.

>boycott book

I think you missed the train on this.

All of my keks.

Fundies are such fucking retards.

there's a tibetan tribe where the women make some important dicisions, and tibetans have the highest happiness values in the world. i think we should not be so quick to praise power over happiness. peace to you though brother

>women have literally no rights
>can't read, own property, have no agency whatsoever
>sex slaves forced to bear children for their owners
>lol whores don't get to fuck chads

I know you're trolling, but you could at least try a little harder.

Awesome

I couldn't get through the first episode, it was boring.

All this does is penalize workers who manage to raise their incomes above poverty level. The insurance gap is a huge barrier, those below it get free medicaid, but if they make one cent more, they lose healthcare coverage, but that cent isn't gonna make a difference in their actual ability to pay for healthcare. So they are gonna cut their hours to stay below the maximum. It's sad.

In order to surmount the insurance gap they would need to triple, maybe quadruple their income, which is literally impossible. The most they can do is maybe raise their incomes by several grand, which they have no rational reason to do if it puts them on the hook for an insurance bill much higher than that.

>t. medicaid recipient

The book was literally inspired by Islam though.

By the rules of oppression calculus, Muslims are the most oppressed people in the world today. Thus the left stands with them, views it as the responsibility of Western societies to offer them citizenship as restitution for imperialist wrongdoings, and feels that their reactionary views can be overlooked. The left has no consistent principle except standing with whatever group they perceive to be most oppressed, against the majority in society.

I wouldn't mind abortion being legal if I didn't have to pay for Tanisha to abort a baby every year.

In fact I wouldn't mind socialized healthcare being dropped completely but all the fat fucks in America need a safety net for when they inevitably suffer a heart attack because they can't stop gobbling burgers.

The essential issue with American welfare is that it's legislated piecemeal and the burden is placed on employers because we really don't want to be commies, so we end up with a system that fails to help the worst off, dis-incentivizes hiring and employment as much as a minimum wage hike if not more so, discourages entrepreneurship and self-employment, and produces an expensive and exhausting bureaucratic mess for everyone involved.

I'm a disgusting neoliberal shill, but this is a case where taking it public would result in greater care, living standards, and market freedom (along with fewer headaches) for pretty much everyone. It's practically designed to make everyone a corporate serf in a cyberpunk dystopia.

I did. But it didn't leave a strong impression.

>I wouldn't mind abortion being legal if I didn't have to pay for Tanisha to abort a baby every year
>implying abortions aren't one of the most cost-effective subsidies you can make

>so why are they using it to make Christians look bad?
I'm going to assume that the producers are jews. Christianity at its core has an issue with judaism, and vice versa.

The Feminist delusion that white Christians are most dangerous ever. It's a sci-fi fantasy of theirs, just like the colonization of other planets is to males.

llol

I bet shes a good fuck

ten bucks says she has a cock

Kek

It's funny because 'more relevant than ever' was an actual review by MSM, as if we're one step away from this actually happening.

kek

I shall go on a fact finding mission to verify the validity of this assertion.

> she has a cock

what do you mean by this?

Yes, let's make ourselves as content as possible so that when a stronger group tries to take control of us we can make it easier for them

if the tibetans are so happy why are they always crying and whining about china building transportation and communications infrastructure for them? dudes are the whiniest people outside of American universities

cost-effective especially for niggers

Why would anyone have a problem with this? Nobody is forcing women to have sex and get knocked up, they can pay for the consequences themselves.

You're better off paying for the abortions, than the alternative. It's not educated middle class women being irresponsible who're most affected.

LOL there are many reasons they might be happy

Isn't that basically eugenics though? Why not go one step further and just sterilize the lower classes?

then who is going to do all the work you fucking mong

inb4 muh robuts

>tibetans have the highest happiness values in the world
They really don't.

That's the Bhutanese

Pajeet

And tibetans are living in the fucking stone age, so whoopdedoo. Ignorance is bliss

if their so happy n shit why aren't they doing more take in refugees? i mean since the prosperity of the west is so horrible shouldnt all these africans and arabs be rushing to get into bhutan? or does bhutan not welcome illegal aliens?

>durr muh eugenics will give further advantages to the upper class
>despite the fact that genetic variances to extreme degrees already exist in nature, and that humans have free will to do as they please and are not slaves to their genetics
hurrrrr

Refugees are more interested in wealth than happiness, I guess

That's a popular meme, but no, not really. You're not forcing anything, for starters, it's just a kind of safety net.

wait, but angela merkel told me that refugees are just looking for a better life for their family, now u tell me they just want free gibs?

I never said I was against eugenics. I just think it's hypocritical of libs to want to abort babies just because they will grow up poor. Like is poverty so horrible that life is not even worth living? Why don't the poor just kill themselves?

I can't tell if you're a troll or just retarded.

FUCK

WHITE

PEOPLE

well as someone who can't afford to have kids, i do get sick of people attacking me as a white male for being "privileged" because most minorities grow up in poverty, well, i could choose to have five kids and live in poverty with them, but i'd rather wait and see if i can ever reach a decent standard of living first before i have even one kid, but i'm the bad guy, right, fuck off brah

literally the only problems are the prices and the regulations, prices are caused by everyone having insurance (thanks again FDR!), because of this hospitals can charge whatever the fuck they want. That would be pretty much the same if the tab was put on the feds.

He's not wrong.

It is hilarious to me that so many lefties sincerely believe that Donald flipping Trump is some kind of arch-conservative Bible thumping Christian. . .

Well his favourite verse is Two Corinthians so he's already displayed a disturbing level of familiarity with fundamentalist tracts. You'd have to be some kind of sheep not to see the warning signs!

>I just think it's hypocritical of libs to want to abort babies just because they will grow up poor
A: Nobody WANTS to abort babies you dense fuck
B: The ethical argument for abortion stems from the potential for greater suffering not only of the child and its family, but also the collective suffering of everyone else who will inevitably have to be taxed to provide for said child.

also the people that will be robbed and murdered by the young thug, and then the costs of imprisoning and eventually executing him

well that's harder to quantify solidly, but yeah

i saw a good argument against abortion the other day, they were like "a woman should have the right to have a doctor cut the legs off her foetus, since she has the right to do with her body as she pleases" and i was like hmmm, that's a good one

If you don't want kids right now don't have sex. Nobody's forcing you to have children.

Sounds like utilitarian mumbo jumbo. Why don't we just euthanize infants? Why does a fetus magically become a baby after an arbitrary length of time in the womb? I mean I can kind of see the logic but it's not being applied very consistently.

>magically
that's not even
just stop posting

>prices are caused by everyone having insurance (thanks again FDR!)

Do you mean that hospitals are required by federal law to provide services to anyone, even if they can't pay and don't have insurance (signed into law by Reagan, oddly enough)? Unless you mean Medicaid, which was an LBJ baby; he unfortunately signed into law a lot of big programs right before our economy started slowing down. But you're right, prices are the main problem with the US healthcare system, and the ACA has made this worse.

>That would be pretty much the same if the tab was put on the feds.

The idea is that the federal government would have greater bargaining power to negotiate prices for medical services, products, pharmaceuticals, etc, but I don't know how this would hold up in the long-term.

>If you don't want kids right now don't have sex. Nobody's forcing you to have children.

that's the point fuckhead, if 25% of black kids are being raised in poverty, take it up with their parents who had kids knowing damn well they would be impoverished, not white males

but black kids are raised in poverty because of white males

right, because black people don't have any agency of their own and their white masters should be responsible for them

and that is wrong, how?

Not an argument.

i didn't make a value judgement, just stating facts

Alder's Law

Sorry I misunderstood what you were complaining about. I understand now.

This guy knows how it was. Fear of Christians seems so quaint these days.

black people don't have any agency because it is denied to them through systemic white supremacy

Except since 1964 african americans and all other minorities have been assured the same rights under color of law in America, and we just had a Black President

>this shit is retarded
No, you are autistic
Every single one of the points in the men category apply to Handmaid's Tale

>happiness is awful because someone else will sneak up on you and enslave you
Never change /pol/

so are you saying industrious whites didn't sneak up and enslave half the planet in the 18th and 19th centuries? you can't hate whites for imperialism and then turn around and say imperialism is an anti-happiness conspiracy theory lol but you're right maybe european colonialism was a hoax

are you saying white males are secretly cucking black dudes and all these poverty births are a massive conspiracy of white on black cuckoldry? and people say /pol/ has some wacky ideas, Veeky Forums is like next level on the kook shit

Sterilization incentives are actually good. iirc the American Progressive Party used to be into such things.

The problem is that such ideas are unspeakable now because of the fucking Nazi shitters. Hitler truly was the worst person ever, not only was he a genocidal maniac, he also made sensible eugenics unthinkable and sent Europe into a state of collective guilt over collaborationism from which it may never recover.

>so are you saying industrious whites didn't sneak up and enslave half the planet in the 18th and 19th centuries?
I didn't say that or imply that and I'd be retarded if I did
>you can't hate whites for imperialism and then turn around and say imperialism is an anti-happiness conspiracy theory lol but you're right maybe european colonialism was a hoax
I don't hate whites for anything, I'm white and joke about my ancestors riding the coattails of more successful white people all the time. I also don't know what the fuck you're talking about at all. I just mocked some dumbass who was saying that happy societies are doomed to be conquered by people who will take our shit as soon as we're happy because such an idea is childish, paranoid, and a caricature of the /pol/ mindset.

>A: Nobody WANTS to abort babies you dense fuck
this what numales believe

>I didn't say that or imply that and I'd be retarded if I did

well i'm just curious how "white supremacy" forces black people to have unprotected sex, it sounded like you were saying there was a white conspiracy to increase the number of black births somehow, which seems kind of weird since wouldn't white supremecists try to reduce them instead? this sjw shit is real flimsy my dude

I haven't said a single thing about white supremacy or abortion, you're replying to the wrong person my man

Honestly I think a lot of the fear and actual threat is the cabinet and base surrounding him more than Trump himself; if Trump became POTUS in 1988 somehow, the biggest impact would be that Dubya might not have made the 2000 election. Trump opted to jump into a vacuum that at most can be credited to GOP establishment complacency.

Basically everything of significance about the Trump administration is determined by everything except for Trump himself, the fight against Trump is as much the fight against the God-Emperor of /pol/'s imagination as it is a bumbling guy who says silly things and golfs a lot.

Robots

350 million people will have to pay for all their healthcare + the healthcare of everyone else who shows up with a sob story if Trump does nothing

how did sovereignty of Tibet work out?

Well you see user, a lot of white people are still guilty of *unconscious* racism, so the fight for civil rights is far from over! After microaggressions have been banned we'll have to find some new thing to accuse white people of doing. Basically, this shit is going to go on forever, because me and my progressive pals are part of a secular cult.