What am I in for?

Is it as tedious and shallow as many say it is? What translation would you recommend picking?

Tedious I get but I've never heard or read anyone call it shallow

Get the Everyman Edition. Prepare to fall in love with Settembrini. Stay for the Snow chapter. Naphta was a beast. One of my favorite novels -- slow to start like ascending the mountain but once you're an inpatient you'll stay for the duration.

Nabokov himself dubbed it topical trash.

Nabokov claimed to dislike a lot of great books. But who are the 'many'?

Its amazing

Females on goodreads.

Read it. I was happy to read it, if I had option of not reading it and reading it, definetly.

Swap the place of Naphta and Settembrini in that phrase :^)

Prepare for maximum comfort as not only the novel deals with a lot of relaxing things (in fact, relaxing is big part of the novel), but also that amazing feeling when you're reading a great book.

And then also prepare for maximum discomfort.

Also:
Seconded.

Bump

>tedious

Guaranteed you heard that from a plotpleb.

>Prepare for maximum comfort

This.

Read the John Woods translation. It's a major and needed update.

One of the greatest books I've ever read, I think one of the greatest books of all time.

a.k.a. the spawn of Satan.

A novel about time that will take a lot of time to read, and (sort of) makes a point about it.

Also the ending of the decadent early 20th century bourgeoisie.

You might pick up an interest for Schubert.

I dropped it, the guy is way too focused on showing off his philosophical power level instead of writing a novel.

Get ready for an extremely comfy first half and heartwrenching second half

a bit off-topic, but does anyone ever have to 'force' themselves to get into a good book? i read "if on a winter's night..." and was charmed by the first sentence. trying now to read "the magic mountain" and it's enjoyable, but not as instantly captivating.

It won't be -- it's a journey and I sat on the fence until 2/3 of the way. The Snow chapter blew me away -- it was only at that point that it finally clicked. And the ending sealed it for me.

>tedious
>Guaranteed you heard that from a plotpleb.
This
>Shallow
Literally never heard this criticism

I have a copy of Buddenbrooks from my recently passed great aunt but since it is from 1931 it is in Fraktur and I it is very tedious to read.
I would feel stupid going out buying a new copy simply to make it easier on myself to read a 700+ page book but then again I might not finish it if it doesn't feel right early on and then becomes infuriating to read Fraktur.

Was your gread aunt a nazi?

Is it true that Thomas Mann was bisexual? I still continue hoping it was made up by some Jew.

That's just a malicious rumour started by his jealous Jewish relatives.

She was a kid during the war so she propably didn't have much of a personnal opinion on nationalsozialism.