I fucking love this book

I fucking love this book.

Which authors have continued Hegel's arguments or responded to the arguments in this book? I am reading One Dimensional Man and the Hegel influence seems pretty big, what else can I read to now?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_von_Jhering
marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1843/critique-hpr/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_B._Pippin
youtube.com/watch?v=Ald0RZQSSmQ
youtu.be/ucJny0VR__Y?t=1m16s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Start with the Greeks

Rudolf von Jhering's "struggle for law" could be considered a response, but he makes a case for his own philosophy of law as a means to an end, hegel was already regarded as absurdist anomaly by then.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_von_Jhering

To put the question in another way: can I read a book that either agrees or disagrees with Hegel and attempts to apply Hegel's arguments to our modern state?

Marx wrote a critique of it:
marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1843/critique-hpr/

Robert Pippin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_B._Pippin

>Modernism as a Philosophical Problem: On the Dissatisfactions of European High Culture
>Idealism as Modernism: Hegelian Variations
>Hegel’s Practical Philosophy: Rational Agency as Ethical Life

He is one of the leading Hegel scholars currently. I'm taking a class on this book right now with him, kinda wish I could upload the lectures for you but think that'd be illegal.

>kinda wish I could upload the lectures for you but think that'd be illegal.
hahaha fucking Hegelians, always crack me up :^D

>I am reading One Dimensional Man and the Hegel influence seems pretty big

I really hope that by influence you don't mean that Hegel would not think that Marcuse deserves the prussian firing squad. Hegel albeit not deeply loves his idea of a State and is is the State that happened up until WW1 for most european countries.

probably gentile

>Hegel albeit not deeply loves his idea of a State and is is the State that happened up until WW1 for most european countries.

What did he mean by this?

> I'm taking a class on this book right now
Your lucky, the class that I took on the book was the highlight of my philosophy degree and really changed the way I thought about a lot of subjects.

If you could upload some lectures or give a link to some papers that would be great.

Alexandre Kojève - Introduction reading Hegel is all you need along with the source material

He is a hack, over simplifies Hegel to the point of dumbing him down. Read Jean Hyppolite.

Wahl, Hyppolite, and Kojeve are all historically important readers of Hegel. Michael Roth has a book on 20th century French receptions of Hegel that covers all three.

>the highlight of my philosophy degree and really changed the way I thought about a lot of subjects.

Can you share some more info about how it changed things for you?

I'm having a similar feeling but my understanding of Hegel (I mean, actual Hegel, rather than just Kojeve's Hegel like the other guy was saying) is still so murky. I'm getting glimmers of how you felt, but it hasn't all clicked together yet so I can't say for sure.

I'd upload the lecture stuff if I didn't feel like a dick doing it. Pippin is a very dense lecturer so I'm very glad he makes recordings. It's only on the second or even third listen that things really start to flow for me, and then I appreciate his style. You can get a glimpse of it here:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ald0RZQSSmQ

I'm planning on reading Gentile next. I have his Genesis and Structure of Society. Any recommendations?

>can you share some more info about how it changed things for you?
It's late for me so I will aim to respond with a proper post when I wake up tommorow, but in short I disagree with some of the starting premises of liberalism and the way that Hegel tries to conceive the family and ethics as an alternative basis for political philosophy is an extremely relevant topic today considering what politics is like lately.

Is Jean Hyppolite a lefty

so... yes.

I guess that's a yes

Who is a right wing reader of Hegel that goes into his militaristic authoritarianism and his racial opinions on history?

How did you come to that conclusion from the post? That's baffling to me.

Literally no one because that's stupid and self-serving reading of Hegel, albeit Marx is just as stupid and it exists.

>militaristic authoritarianism and his racial opinions

Stop making the right wing look bad

psychoanalysis

But didn't Hegel hold borderline racist opinions? Geist loves German culture and not African culture. African culture isn't historic etc.

Not justifying that guy, but it's not a big stretch to go from Hegel to racist statists.

Psychoanalysis of whom? Please explain, I want to understand.

i studied the man in the photo like freud studied michelangelo's moses.

sure

Fuck off.

Upload the lectures to a mega using tor. The school won't be able to trace you, and neither will the government.

I'm sure he did on some level himself yeah, but everyone did. And I don't recall him being NEARLY as antisemitic as some of his contemporaries, the Romantic Volksgeist guys like Fichte and Fries, whom he criticized harshly. Those guys were extremely antisemitic and cared a lot less about the bureaucratic State than Hegel did. They were the "spirit of the people" types, though they were also pretty cosmopolitan and anti-authoritarian when not hating Jews.

The old narrative about Hegel was that he was archetypically authoritarian, "the State is Right becaue the Right is necessarily the State!" guy, but that's really more associated with the Sonderweg era. The Prussian Historical School, which was actually very "the State is the only real object in History, the State is Geist" oriented, was in the Rankean tradition which began by repudiating Hegel. Those guys are the arch-conservative ultra-statists of the early 20th century and eventually Nazi period.

It's only in hindsight that Hegel gets thrown in with all this stuff, when the entire tradition of German idealism is considered as this romanticist self-annihilating state-worshiping death machine that was inevitably to result in the Nazi holocaust.

Good post, thanks user.

Just read something completely unrelated and draw the connections to Hegel yourself. Break out of the hegel-antihegel dialectic.

I'd recommend Schopenhauer, or you could start with the greeks after all.

That'd be awesome. I'm dealing with very similar interests, and trying to see if I can think about new options through Hegel. Any insights or further readings you could give/recommend would be great.

>Who is a right wing reader of Hegel that goes into his militaristic authoritarianism and his racial opinions on history?
Hegel himself and History itself. The guys whoinitially gathered his lectures and made them into readable material were of the right-hegelians, but they didn't leave much.

>But didn't Hegel hold borderline racist opinions?
Yes he did. Zizek takes his critique of eastern culture directly from Hegel.

>Zizek takes his critique of eastern culture directly from Hegel.

Could you elaborate on this? I haven't really heard Zizek talk about eastern culture very much at all, aside from a little bit about Buddhism (which it sounds like he views negatively).

Agree with the first part of your post, Hegel himself seems right-leaning based on what we have. But I don't agree with the shallow analysis Karl Popper gave of him as some kind of proto-totalitarian theorist.

The basic premise of racism in Hegel is actually based on the level of religion a society has. Niggers and africans have magic, which they see as a power that is all around us and that everything is this magic(gods, people and nature), there is not self or even a functioning self-reflecting Spirit. Asians have achieved the next level of religion, where not everything is magic/nature, since one is actually free(emperor or others). Persians with Zoroastianism bring 2 self-reflecting sides into their religion, so they are a higher level than other asians and then come the greeks where some man are free(not only one). By self-reflecting religion Hegel means a religion that gives the person a lot of agency regarding the world(the world being split up is considered complex, thus better). Zizek sees eastern religion as too detached(great cosmic dance and so on) and totally compatible with the worst atrocities of humanity after modernisation.

youtu.be/ucJny0VR__Y?t=1m16s

>anglo autist

Nope.

Everything references / says can be googled and verified

this user knows what's good

>reply with something anglo-autistic

anglo autist user, i..

I am the least anglo-autistic person that you have ever met. I am the least ango-autistic person.

I am a person who happens to very smart, and I am happen to have a certain street sense, and I know where things are going.

>for you but think that'd be illegal.
only liberals have faith in copyrights and intellectual property