Being new to lit and having read C&P, Master & Margarita, Pynchon and some Murakami, I'm dissappointed...

Being new to lit and having read C&P, Master & Margarita, Pynchon and some Murakami, I'm dissappointed. Could you appease a normie taste and recommend something with a heart, a coherent plot, dynamic cast and not willing to waste the reader's time with pages upon pages of fluff? No edgy overwrought genre fiction pls

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Read_a_Book
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I unironically recommend you go to reddit instead

Infinite Jest

>coming to Veeky Forums for decent advice

Read Tolstoy. Begin with a few shorts-- Master and Man, for instance, then Hadji. If you like it, read Anna K. To me you sound like a budding Tolstoyan. Another GREAT author whose scarcely receives a notice on Veeky Forums is Prosper Merimee. Read Carmen and some of his shorter work. A very short intentionally heartless story by him (maybe 8 pages) is Matteo Falcone.

Start with Celine, journey to the end of the night

I've read the first half of War and Peace and didn't enjoy it a whole lot. Felt it was inflated and the morality was basic af.

Isn't it one of those "life is utter shit" novels like American Psycho or 2666? If so, I won't enjoy it. I don't need a lengthy script to tell me that the world sucks, it's not as one-dimensional as that.

Well? Fair enough. I disagree, but so what?

Just saying that recommendation won't work for me, that's all.

Why would I waste my time recommending some p-zombie books?

What books to read to experience qualia?

Great Expectations you basic bitch

Google your interests. Read what seems interesting. Asking individuals (especially on an anonymous board) is going to leave you disappointed.

Read Maugham or Greene, then. More understated, subtle, psychological without being overburdensomely so. (You) want 'heart' sans overblown situations. Not easy to recommend with any literature over 100 yrs old. Tristram Shandy is intentionally overblown mundanity, your criticism, almost. Make sure (you) don't mistake a character's overstatements for an author's. Overstatement is a fact of life.

If you haven't already, read Stoner by John Williams. It's a pretty common recommendation here, but it's fantastic. A nearly perfect book. No fluff. Very straightforward.

I'd like to give you a recommendation based a bit more on what you're interested in. If you want to give aome more info, feel free. I'll try to give a better rec.

You could also try the short Stories of Flannery O'Connor. If you really want no bullshit, read Raymond Carver. He's a well-known author for good reasons. He's great. Joyce's Dubliners. Denis Johnson's Jesus' Son.

Hope you find something you like. Those big, "fluffy" books are great, but they can get old after a while. It's nice to take a break from them. Try those short story collections.

I second Maugham. The moon and sixpence and the razors edge are both great and not too filled with "fluff"

Best contemporary mass market fiction recently desu. I'm not convinced it survives as literary fiction but as a crime epic its fantastic.

Well, Evangelion is my favorite piece of fiction so far, take that as you will.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh

Stoner is an absolutely beautiful book. One of the top 5 books about the lives of normal people I've ever read

I am interested in literature and other art forms. What the fuck should I read, going by your logic?

He is talking about subject matter. So if you like Evangelion I would suggested genre fiction, but since you dont like that, maybe something arguably literary (but still genre fiction) like Gene Wolfe or Stanislaw Lem or Phillip Dick

Guy you replied to here. Had no idea what that was until I looked it up.

Assuming I found the right book, I have no idea what kind of literature manga-readers enjoy. I guess I'd say start with the the Veeky Forums starter pack. They're honestly good books. Pynchon probably didn't do much for you. His work is so tied in with the way literature itself functions. Half of the enjoyment of reading his works comes from understanding what he is *not* doing (i.e. not following typical narrative-arcs).

I dunno, man. I'm kinda surprised you didn't like Murakami. Just read the lit starter pack. If those don't interest you, google your hobbies: "books involving..." Maybe Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay?

Let me/us know what you end up going with.

Anything by Hesse
Ayn Rand if you can put up with her philosophies
unironically Franzen

Read this and not only will you learn how to find and judge books for yourself, but you'll also learn to get much more out of whatever you choose to read after it.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Read_a_Book

Jfc I haven't seen someone run into the doorframe this earnestly on Veeky Forums in a long time

>morality was basic af
what? you must be parroting some meme about tolstoy being a simple moralist; i know because i picked up that same opinion (from somewhere, i don't know) and used it until i read tolstoy myself.

tolstoy presents the moral standards of different characters throughout W&P, then lets the story judge them accordingly. however, very few characters have a simple moral codeā€”the old prince bolkhonski is such a complex character that i still struggle to understand.

the closest tolstoy gets to "basic af" morality is when he's denouncing historians for thinking that the fate of europe rested solely on a few ""great"" men rather than the actions of every soldier, woman and child who lived it.

"even cowgirls get the blues"

magic mountain u pussy