What happened to the global warming meme?

What happened to the global warming meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

epa.gov/climate-indicators/climate-change-indicators-glaciers
ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201712
youtube.com/watch?v=pbrKLnh8wLA
slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/ann-curry-not-surprised-matt-lauer-sexual-misconduct-allegations.html
slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/07/20/sea_level_study_james_hansen_issues_dire_climate_warning.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What happened to the global warming meme?
a small minority of people realized that al gore was running a scam

Why do you keep making this thread? What do you hope to accomplish?

Climatologists pushed glaciers melting/sea levels rising/temps going up and shit too hard. They said in 1998 that in 2018 there would be no more glaciers, all the coastal cities would flooded, and global temps would be way up.

Turns out we are in 2018 now, and there is more ice coverage than then, the sea levels are lower, and the average temp is the same.

So what do you do with a discredited theory that makes only wrong predictions? Make an incremental change to it, and then rename it so you can pretend its new and better.

This is the first time I've ever made this thread.

Why make yet another climate thread? Can’t you just read the archives? Do you honestly believe new information will be unearthed in this thread?

Sorry for triggering you. I sense that you have a now worthless degree in climate science and feel slightly butthurt.

so is there anything other than CO2 that concerns climate change experts right now?
it used to be the CFC craze and the ozone layer, I wonder what happened to all that

No, I’m a PhD student in Computational Science and Engineering.
I’m not triggered, I’m genuinely curious about what you think this thread will accomplish? Do you think actual discussion will occur? Are you even willing to have an actual discussion?

We have this same thread everyday and nothing new is ever said.

the same as the gravity meme
it's a fact, get over it

Lrn2meme fgt pls

Global warming was actually a scam put out by Al Gore. Sadly in science today if you pay "scientists" enough money they get you the results you want.

>gets called out for his shitpost
>"y u so triggered?!"
Honestly, fuck off.

Why can't /pol/ fuck off?

The ozone layer was fixed, that's why. Why are you on Veeky Forums when you are so uninformed?
Why don't climate change denialists ever bother to actually learn something?

I wrote the second sentence just to bait for a response but I still would like an answer for the first one

>They said in 1998 that in 2018 there would be no more glaciers, all the coastal cities would flooded, and global temps would be way up.
[citation needed]

It stopped being a meme.

Look you can scam some sob by telling him the sky's falling but you gotta change the scams from time to time or at least the wording. No matter how dumb he is it won't work more than few times unless changed a bit. Doesn't mean you gotta keep making stuff up though - the old tricks will work on his kids.

It stopped becoming a meme

It cooled down :^)

THE HURRICANES COOLED THINGS DOWN. HURRICANES WERE CAUSED BY CLIMATE CHANGE. CLIMATE CHANGE IS CAUSED BY GLOBAL WARMING, AND GLOBAL WARMING IS CAUSED BY CLIMATE CHANGE. GET WITH THE PROGRAM.

Fake data. The winters of WW2 were bitter cold.

You know there is, "more ice," because pockets of freshwater trapped under Arctic sea ice (Which has a lot of minerals in it, bringing down its freezing point) that has melted exposed the underlying fresh water (Higher freezing point) , right? This would imply Arctic sea ice has melted.
Also the sea level HAS rose
The ocean is becoming more and more acidic
Consecutive heat record years/months
Greenhouse effect experiments
Fucking Venus

Mind fucking off on to /pol/ or /x/ with your contrarian mindset? They eat up pseudo science and other bullshit ther

science

>more ice coverage than then
That's a complete and utter lie. The republican party folks.

epa.gov/climate-indicators/climate-change-indicators-glaciers

as was every other winter people didn't just have to march through snow when they weren't fighting

Lrn2meme fgt pls

A lot of fake data was pushed or extrapolated to try and fright people into doing something.

Fact is that the data at the time, the measurements at the time, didn't suggest that the glaciers were going to disappear that quickly. The models made 20 years ago weren't perfect, but we are still roughly in line with the predictions from them. More sources of data have been added since then, climate science has improved.

The big problem is that people like to cherry pick one piece of data and use it to "debunk" global warming/climate change when there are many sources of data used in conjunction to support it.

No one gives a shit about your websearches. No one gives a shit that it's the "coldest winter you remember". No one gives a shit that Antarctica is gaining ice (while Greenland loses ice at something like 5x the rate).

The fact is that our species will have to deal with the effects of climate change in the decades to come, and we should start doing things to improve our resilience against it instead of bickering over whether it is happening at all.
As nations we should be working to reduce our emissions, not sweeping cuts within a year but slow reductions by moving to cleaner technologies and less wasteful use of resources. We should be looking at what we can start doing now to mitigate the problems we will have in the future as drought patterns change and more violent storms hit, problems that could cost nations billions of dollars in a year.

Instead a lot of nations are just sitting on their hands because governments can't decide if climate change is even a thing, or people protest against actions they want to take against it.

data scientists btfo! Xdxdxd

Climate only changed when humans appeared! All that climate stuff that happened 4 billion years prior killing dinosaurs mammoths and stuff are FAKE republican drumpf pol news! BTFO XDXD

Pls donate all your US tax monies to China India and other 3rd world countries to combat climate change thank you

>They said in 1998
>They
sigh.

We changed the name because some retarded don't understand the difference between climate and weather

Look at this Weather Channel's Map

Even Florida & Mexico are Cold now

Global Warming is not just a Meme or Hoax, is a Scam.

>look, this portion of the world is cold/colder than usual right now
>global warming is a hoax!
The minds of the mentally ill equipped.

Without helping the developing world there is no hope in combating Climate Change.

>Pls donate all your US tax monies to China
No need to do that cause it's already happening

it's 66 in miami rn tho

Oh wow, that does it! It got cold a few days in winter, that's it! global warming? LOL warming? XD It's over, debunked! We can throw away all the scientific literature now, see guys it got COLD IN WINTER HAHAHAHAHA Fucking liberal lies XD fucking liberal al gore elitists said it wouldn't get cold ever again with warming! Fucking liers fucking liberal lies!

people stopped searching for it because they know what it is now

Mysterious vanishing of climate sensitivity happened.

the truth came out

>certainty improves
>sensitivity goes down
wow what a mystery

>look, this portion of the world is warm/warmer than usual right now
>global warming is real!
The minds of the mentally ill equipped.
Works both ways buddy.

I know it's hard for 56%ers to understand, but America isn't the entire world, and right now the vast majority of the world is experiencing higher than average winter temperatures. Only parts of North America are seeing below average, and that was only for a few days in certain regions of NA alone. In fact, NA has also experienced warmer than average temperatures between the two arctic air infiltration periods. Before the last one we had higher than average temps throughout the southern and Eastern US states. The cold phase ended today anyways, it lasted about three days and now we're back to normal winter temperatures in NA.

How about some data to back that up?
You can't even do that since temperature is a terrible metric for warming.

ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201712
January will be available next month.

> noaa
> believing a mouthpiece of the deep state

Oh, see there's the classic mental gymnastics at work. I present evidence to support my claims, and suddenly the evidence doesn't meet your standards because it conflicts with your cognitive biases. Splendid, now I can see that there's no point arguing back and forth with you, take care pal.

Not him but I do have some specific examples.

An Inconvenient Truth came out in 2006, and made a series of very specific predictions that will come to pass "within the next 10 years," as in by the year 2016

1: Mount Kilimanjaro will no longer have snow at its peak
2: The Arctic will no longer have ice
3: There will be a worse heat wave in Europe than the one in 2003 that killed 70,000 people
4: There will be a worse hurricane in the Gulf Coast than Katrina

Did Al Gore actually manage to fuck up the environmentalist movement with his enthusiasm?

1) Al gore definitely made a mistake on Kilimanjaro, and the reduction in its glaciers has been linked to deforestation surrounding the mountain. Again, this doesn't disprove global warming.

2) I think he was wrong about this too, but there has been a large reduction that has been observed in multi-year sea ice, as well as an overall reduction of sea ice during summers in the Arctic, which has led to positive feedback loops of further reduced ice because open ocean absorbs more heat and thus heats up faster in summer, leading to more ice melting and less multi-year ice.

3) I don't remember him making this claim, cite the source because I can't find information about it, but regardless the general hypothesis that there will be worse heat waves in the future is not inaccurate. Extreme weather will become more extreme because it's all driven by heat, and higher average global temps mean warmer summers, meaning more heat, driving more extreme weather.

4) There have been hurricanes worse. Katrina was a bad storm not because of the damage the storm itself did, it was because of the poor quality of the levee system in New Orleans in particular that led to the flooding which caused billions of dollars in damage and all the deaths from the poor governmental response to the disaster. NOLA didn't even receive a direct hit from the storm, and the levee's breach was caused by massive storm surge from lake pontchartrain.

you cant argue with these people user. they will continue to do what ever the gop and oil lobby's tell them only to just be different. they cant even see how having the worst winter in the us in memory that tells them something strange is going on. you can just tell people facts and if they dont believe them hopefully they will be the first to suffer the consequences

what annoys me is that they probably wont be

India and Africa will be the first to suffer the consequences

So... yawn.

Just after the 27 minute mark in the movie is when the claims about deadlier heat waves and hurricanes in the immediate future are made.

You CAN quite fairly chalk it up to dumb luck instead of science that 2003 to 2006 saw several of the deadliest environmental disasters in history and there hasn't been anything that bad since but that doesn't help the common person lend credence to the guy sounding the alarm

Scafetta literally cherry-picked the studies for that one; he chose old studies that came up with high values and new studies that came up with low values.
most importantly, though, the lines drawn on that figure aren't the result of an actual regression.

First it's all bullshit and it's not real, but when evidence contradicts your argument suddenly it's real but it's not gonna impact me so I don't care if it's real.
Seems like climate change deniers are constantly changing their argument on climate change / global warming to suit their needs.

I'd assume that's because we took precautions to make that not happen during the Clinton, Obama, and even somewhat Bush years, and so the climate change has slowed.

>Turns out we are in 2018 now, and there is more ice coverage than then, the sea levels are lower, and the average temp is the same.
This is not true. Citations for all of these.

It's literally "shitholes btfo"

> Africa, ME, and Commiefornia fucked over
That's the best argument I can think of for speeding up climate change as much as possible.

Climate change is not just desertification, but yes it's a lot easier to rationalize it when you cherry pick the factors that will impact one region more than another, rather than looking at all of the various impacts that will have global repercussions.

"Global Warming" is less accurate to what the individual would experience. The average temperature of the earth would increase, but additionally, the extremes would become far more likely. Hence the rise in the popularity of "climate change".
This is seriously a simple radiative heat transfer problem, you can't dispute the sensitivity of average global temperature to GHG emissions if you've taken a heat transfer class in your life.

global memeing warm?

>temperature is a terrible metric for warming.
Isolated (in position or time) is a terrible metric for warming, you mean.

Stringing together years of record high average temperatures is a reasonable metric for warming.

ITT: climate change denialists deny the collective work of scientists
>inb4 muh appeal to authority

>there hasn't been anything that bad since
Was 2017 not the worst year ever for such disasters?

>Works both ways buddy.
But that's not actually the argument being put forward for AGW. It doesn't matter if newspapers put out shitty "It's hot in summer, so global warming" articles, because we can always point to actual climatologists who can demonstrate humanity's impact on the Earth's climate with real data.
Meanwhile, the "cutting edge" of denial is PR groups like Heartland and Cato, and all they can do is use fancier language to phrase the same retarded arguments that random bloggers use. Which makes sense: they're not actually climatologists, they're marketing and business people.

Seasonal Fires in California
>Global Warming is reeeeeeaaal
>Pay your Carbon Taxes Goyim

Freezing Winter
>Nothing to see here Goyim
>Just ignore it. It will go away.

>But Al Gore!
Stop.

It's about to solve itself with wind and solar becoming ridiculously cheap over the coming years and electric vehicles generally being seen as desirable because of superior acceleration and lack of local exhaust emissions.

The arctic ice does not cooperate.

>HAHAHAHAHA
Mom let the hyaena use her computer again.

>Al Gore
No one cares

>"I predict the ice caps will melt by 2014"
Fake quote.

>2015 NASA report says: more ice than ever
False.

Why do deniers always resort to lying if they actually believe what they're saying?

>Climatologists pushed
>An Inconvenient Truth came out in 2006
Try again.

>Science & Math board
>it's actually full of retarded hicks

It's called climate change now goy

Nothing still equals nothing.

Global Warming is subject to proof, the burden is on commie soyboys such as yourself.

>5 trillion dollars unaccounted for in the Pentagon
>worried about drop in the bucket change being sent to shitholes

glad to see priorities in order

Are you the same idiot that calculate Hilary had 99% chance to win

Putin disagrees
youtube.com/watch?v=pbrKLnh8wLA

Hillary got 3 million more votes

Feel free to read the latest IPCC report yourself, rather than having me spoonfeed you what it says.

>al gore being a lying hypocrite means all the danger is gone

fuck you

with plenty of admissions of voter fraud in an election that is based around winning acres, not people

If the election is about winning acres (land mass?) then why are votes based off of population?

Right? Fuck that guy for making a point. Amirite????

slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/ann-curry-not-surprised-matt-lauer-sexual-misconduct-allegations.html

Hansen

>voter fraud
Trump is that you? Are you really so insecure about your small election weewee that you need to lie about shit that doesn't even matter?

>slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/ann-curry-not-surprised-matt-lauer-sexual-misconduct-allegations.html
Try again.

come get some, faggot

>spoonfeed me the evidence
>I can't into Google

slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/07/20/sea_level_study_james_hansen_issues_dire_climate_warning.html

>They said in 1998 that...
>Discussion paper (published on 23 Jul 2015)
What?

You can't dismiss that some wild claims have been made by some climatologists

I remember watching a show on discovery channel when I was little talking about how NYC would be completely submerged by 2030, empire state building becomes a reef.