A die is rolled n times. What is the probability of getting at least one 5 and at least one 6

A die is rolled n times. What is the probability of getting at least one 5 and at least one 6

[eqn]1\,-\,\left(\frac23\right)^n[/eqn]
Tell me if you have more homework. :)

You mean
[math]
1-\left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^n
[/math]
which is not correct. It is the probability that there is at least one 5 OR one 6.

Then move your ass and do the shitty sum you get from the law of total probability if you're so smart.

The prob. for exactly f 5's and s 6's is:
[math]
\left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^{n-f-s} \left( \frac{1}{3} \right)^{f+s} \binom{n}{f} \binom{n-f}{s}
[/math]
so the answer is:
[eqn]
\sum_{\substack{2 \leq f+s \leq n \\ 1 \leq s \\ 1 \leq f}}\left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^{n-f-s} \left( \frac{1}{3} \right)^{f+s} \binom{n}{f} \binom{n-f}{s}
[/eqn]

[ n * 1/6 ] ^2

WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG

The only objectively correct answer

>t. MIT statistics professor

Is this the type of shit covered in a normal intro to probability book? This is probably my biggest weakness in math because I learned it early in undergrad when I was a bad student so never really learned it well and then completely forgot what little info I knew.

[math]\begin{align}P( 5 \wedge 6) &= 1-P(\neg(5 \wedge 6)) \\ &=1-P(\neg 5 \vee \neg6) \\ &= 1-(P(\neg 5)+P(\neg 6)-P(\neg 5 \wedge \neg 6)) \\ &= 1-((\frac{5}{6})^n+(\frac{5}{6})^n-(\frac{4}{6})^n) \\ &= \frac{6^n-2*5^n+4^n}{6^n} \end{align}[/math]

So what is the probability of geting at least one 5 or 6 after 12 dice throws in your formula.
Pro tip it is greater than 1.

This.

because after rolling it 12 times, it is impossible not to have gotten it. test it for yourself.

thx for doing my homework :)

I meant to reply to

Best answer

Wrong. You could roll 12 1s.

with n=1 you get 36/6.

1/6 chance of getting a 5 or a 6

At least one 5 AND at least one 6 is impossible in one roll.

(6^1-2*5^1+4^1)/6^1 = (6-10+4)/6 = 0/6 = 0

I got
[math]1 - 2 \cdot {(\frac{5}{6})}^{n} + {(\frac{2}{3})}^{n}[/math]
Which is functionally the same as

50%, you either roll a 5/6 or you don't.

correct answer

Why are people giving this genuine responses without him posting in stupid questions and providing none of his own work?

I literally don't mind helping anons with homework, but not like this. This thread should be removed imo.

n

Veeky Forums shouldnt have moderation