Books on the Arthurian legend

What are the best books about King Arthur, Merlin, Knights of the Round Table etc.?
I just picked up A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, but are there any more serious books on the Arthurian legend? What are your favourites? Any input is appreciated, thanks

the only one i've found worth reading, IMHO, is "the once and future king." if you read this as an adult, you should have already read:
>"le morte d'arthur"
AND/OR
>the arthurian section of "bulfinch's mythology"
AND
>"sir gawain and the green knight"

even if you don't, though, it's still the definitive version of arthur.
makes me cry like a bitch in many places throughout the story desu senpai

strangely enough, last night i was looking for a good movie on arthur—couldn't find anything, so i downloaded "monty python" and resolved to watch it today and show it, for the first time, to my wife

Idylls of the king.
Tennyson is by far the most talented writer to deal with the subject

Idylls are great, but there are not enough of them!

This. Tennyson's Idylls and Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur. Another you may inevitably come across is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Pay special attention to the knights characters. They have been reused innumerable times in stories, plays, movies, etc.

My man watch Excalibur. Its so surreal.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is brilliant. If you're patrician you'll understand his struggle between his own values and the values society deems he is supposed to have.

Also, King Arthur and his Knights, Howard Pyle. It is filled with stories of heroism as well as comfy blessings from Mr Pyle, wishing you courage and bravery and a long, successful life.

Who is the most spooked man who ever existed?

Not OP, which editions of Sir Gawain and Morte d'Arthur should I go with?

Norton Critical?

>Sir Gawain
Borroff is the most recognized translation, I think.

>Norton Critical?
Sure, if you have the shelf space.

Read books from Chretien de troyes.

maybe; i'd like something more sentimental yet accurate over something fantastical like this. i'll definitely watch it sometime in my life, but i'd rather see someone like michael winterbottom adapt t.h. white.

i've never seen any michael winterbottom film except for the ones featuring Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan... but "Tristram Shandy" is THE best literary adaptation i've ever seen.

Only things I can recommend other than what's posted in the thread are:

The Mists of Avalon
The Once and Future King

Also, I believe Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat is supposed to be an Arthurian adaptation or something, but I haven't read it.

Read Chretien de Troyes and Wolfram von Eschenbach.

New King Arthur by Guy Ritchie looks decent

This guy gets it, Howard Pyle is absolutely wonderful - I'd actually reccomend reading it before you get into the thicker stuff like Once and Future King or Le Morte D'Arthur because it's such a joy to read all the stories as they're told here (not saying that Le Morte isn't a great read, but it is very ye olde and Pyle is a really good place for someone to jump in from)
Pyle's prose feels like it glitters off the page, and his illustrations uplift the whole thing into a truly spectacular experience.

Excalibur goes back and forth from good to wtf_am_i_watching.jpg. It has a young sexy Helen Mirren too, which is a strange thing to type. Williamson's Merlin is a campy hoot.

As far as what to read, obviously Mallory.

>Steinbeck

WITH A FOREWORD BY CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI

Without having read it or even heard of it, my senses tell me the confiness levels of this are off the charts. Anyone can confirm?

If you like Eragon you are sure to love this one!

Lol thats like the bible with a forward by stephen king