>Pride and Prejudice
>Eragon
>Ulysses
>The Savage Detectives
>Any good history book on The French Revolution
>Judy Blume's Fudge series

And it helps to bruch up on your Marx and Freud

The Gruffalo

Whatever, symbolistic french poetry, maybe.

ambitious books by great writers and their "lesser" works too.

He missed the bible

When I read it I didn't get the sense that you needed to read a bunch of stuff first to fully understand it like you might with something like Ulysses.

Definitely reading some pre-1990's POMO like Burroughs, Delillo, Gaddis etc would probably help you appreciate it more because it's for sure influenced by POMO. He name drops Kafka and Debord in the book as well so I guess you could read them.

She was raped, vaginally and anally.

Archimboldi, of course.

The savage detectives

Amberes by the same spic

lel

Probably just don't.

Gravity's Rainbow
JR
Bottom's Dream
Finnegans Wake
The Sound And The Fury
The Gulag Archipelago

Nothing, just read the book, it's clearly written with references anyone would get or get via googling

Archimboldi

really tho The Savage Detectives and Last Evenings on Earth

Do you guys want to do a 2666 book club this summer? I was going to make a thread for this.

nothing really, its middlebrow at best. if you are from latin america you may relate more than americans, I feel (im from south america), since it showcases our corruption and structural poverty to excruciating detail.

its overall a very interesting and fun, yet very accessible book.

piggybacking on this guy, this book is making a statement throughout the murders. the goal is to desensitize you, to make you think "another one" and not care. its very powerful in the sense that we go through this desensitization regime every day of our lives and we dont notice.

"shooting in a mall, eh". "woman raped on college campus, eh"

Angels & Demons - Dan Brown

This desu

that has literally nothing to do with that section is about and the fact that the
>desensitize the reader to atrocity
line of interpretation is so widely parroted on this board and middlebrow publications speaks volumes to how poorly people actually read these days

You should probably read every book ever written before the publication of 2666 to give you the proper perspective on the state of literature 2666 emerged from and was a reaction too.

But it's true you fucking pseud.

>i get all of my opinions from the new yorker and consider myself an intellectual

go back to r/books

meant for

not that guy but what's it about then? i only read part 1 it but it does some like he's writing about the difficulty in imagining the violence/connections of globalism, not exactly that 'were desensitized to violence' but more of 'if you only knew how bad things really are'

that's basically how i interpreted the profs beating up the paki driver in part 1, to use zizek's phrase, they're 'clueless about the global flows of capital' and the fact that the writer they're looking for is...

con't.

isn't that the whole problem of the femicide in ciudad juarez? all these women get killed for not one specific reason but a bunch of reasons which coalesce through globalism

>2666 is about globalism

nigga dont you get tired of posting this stupid shitpost for 5 years in a row? i see you invented a new persona to propagate it

he doesn't have to mention the bible, if you don't read the bible before anything else you're a fucking pseud and probably not white so just give up on western lit.

meh...it was recommended to me by a prof who said it was about globalism and i really do see it like that

tell me how it's not about globalism? scholars are looking for a reclusive author who turns out to be a really tall nazi living in latin america and every fucking blurb says it's about post-nationalism...

whats it about, asshole?

>meh...

so i was right, it really is about globalism

globalism implies the acknowledgment of the legitimacy of borders and polities which is obviously not what bologna man was getting at

his work is about timeless unifying forces that underly all of human history, transcending boundaries

globalism doesnt really play into it because it is a fundamentally different conception of how the world works

>Last Evenings on Earth
Fantastic short story

>his work is about timeless unifying forces that underly all of human history, transcending boundaries

sounds pretty globalist

> globalism implies the acknowledgment of the legitimacy of borders and polities which is obviously not what bologna man was getting at

maybe if you think alex jones invented the word but people have been using it before him

jfc you're insuferable, It's abvious that BolaƱo meant the reader to have an adverse reaction to that chapter and challenge them to finish it, he even has a bit in the Fate part where talks about how readers are content with reading the master's shorter works and not challenge themselves with the big ones. Even the cops get tired of the relentless deaths. I dont need an online blog or some college course to notice the obvious.

I agree that there was a heavy force behind it all, but that's just subtext that encompasses the whole, there are more themes than just that.

If you weren't born in latin america you aren't going to get most of his work. Dead serious

Look dude, I'm not either of these dudes you're talking to but you seem like an argumentative asshole and you're wrong. I've read the book three times, twice in Spanish. The fourth section absolutely deals with globalism, Ciudad Juarez aka Santa Teresa is so affected by its presence to the United States, NAFTA, it's seen by the scores of women killed working in maquiladoras and is representative of the wealth disparity between itself and El Paso/Other US border cities--the violence rhymes with this neoliberalism/globalism, it's the capital byproduct of it.

Furthermore, it /is/ absolutely desensitizing, this violence/disparity and the fourth section absolutely does narratively and stylistically utilize a detached or distant voice(s) to emphasize that. Simply because that interpretation is 'mainstream' doesn't make it untrue.

If you think your idea so differs from that, why don't you try to actually make an educated and analytical post. I'd genuinely be interested.

>read it in spanish

that's how i know not to take you seriously

>reading it in only one language
>reading it in an excellent translation and reading it in the original

Who the fuck do you think wins here? You still haven't put forward an argument counter to anything I have said. I genuinely encourage you to make a thought out and well written post with some of your convictions. Let's see if you can make a reasoned post.

are you retarded?

ur retarded too

>everyone here is retarded

PLEASE, IF YOU THINK TO THE CONTRARY WRITE A COGENT POST EXPLAINING YOUR THOUGHTS HOLY FUCK

(>TIMELESS UNIFYING FORCES [DOES THIS ACTUALLY MEAN ANYTHING FUCKING EXPLAIN HOLY SHIT])
Seriously, one of you posters, write out what you think. A successful threads is one of discussion, stop shitposting

hello retard

> tfw I read 1/5 of 2666 and understand it better than 95% of the readers on Veeky Forums

i guess i'll read the whole thing now

Report submitted! This window will close in 3 seconds...

dont flatter yourself user, no one itt understands anything

you certainly dont understand the comma

t. American Public University Student
If you think that's how you honestly read books, you need to start with J.K. Rowling all over again, or transfer to an Ivy if you can even get in

>only reads in english

lm@o fucking languagelet