Tfw finals are over in a week and I can focus on reading all summer longer

>tfw finals are over in a week and I can focus on reading all summer longer

What are your goals for this summer, lads? I'm going to try to finish the Bible (currently about halfway done), the Odyssey, and the Silmarillion, since I just finished rereading LOTR.

>tfw graduated and employed so summer is just like regular wageslavery but it's fucking hot

The Silmarillion is the crowning jewel of fiction. Enjoy it.

Working at a firm and taking classes. During the time between classes I'll be writing onto the law journal. Rest is for the dead.

My semester stared this week.
I still have till end of october with exams and classes and you kids are off on summer vacation already.
I want to give up on everything and simply lie carefree in a field every afternoon and take a nap.

I've got a long reading list for this summer. I'll be out in the middle of nowhere tending to a campground in Northern BC, with no internet or cell service. So I plan on getting a lot of reading done. So far my list consists of:
The bible
Brothers Karamazov
On The Road
One hundred Years of Solitude
Walden
Ivo Andric's Bosnian Trillogy
The Plague
Dead Souls
Several Plato Dialogues
and various history books.

ooooh I'm gonna make my own summer reading list now.

Can we just ban collegecunts? I don't give a fuck that you're technically not underage, you think like one

>let's ban the main age demographic for the entire website

How about you leave, oldfag?

This board is mostly populated by college aged individuals. If you're over 30 and still browse this board I feel sorry for you.

This. No one over 22 should even use the internet.

Where is her tooth?

I'm new to Veeky Forums and I'm a little surprised to see some user are reading the bible.

Think a little about why the bible perhaps can be considered a very profound piece of very important literature to the world and that people who seek at least a general knowledge of various cultures and willingness to appreciate and understand different pieces of art would see it necessary to read it.

I am not interested in the institution of religion, but as a human mythological document the bible sounds fascinating. That isn't a fedora comment either, cause I can respect people who chose to believe or find meaning in its stories, but it is interesting as a mythology that has shaped a large part of humanity.

The more I hang out on lit, the more I warm up to the idea of reading the bible... one day.

bro, make sure to read the Robert Fitzgerald translation for the Odyssey. Fagles if you really want an alternative.

Yes! Read Fitzgerald.

You and me are part of a small effort who is pushing Fitzgerald into the Veeky Forums-consciousness. It's working, friend.

Honestly, I can't consider anybody educated if they haven't read the Bible. Knowledge of the Bible is necessary to fully appreciate so many other great works of art that you're handicapping yourself by not reading it.

I can understand since I took a similar interest in the Kalevala, Book of Enoch and Poetic Edda. Sorry about that, just assumed that Veeky Forums were uptight atheists that just read classic philosophy and Glenn Beck.

>uptight atheists

This board is full of unironic Christians.

On my dick

wut

Which edition do you read if you're just trying to get the "plot" and literary importance from it?

>This
I have a copy of my bible from when I was a Jehovah's Witness as a child. I feel like mine is gutted if I ever decided to read it, also not just gutted but misinterpreted as well.

good stuff, my man

Classic philosophy and literature, if not pagan at least, is heavily religious until one gets to modernism and postmodernism, which have only had little over a century to mature under the background of nearly 2000 years of classical lit. And in the Bible of course, one can find practically every narrative ever conceived

I read Fitzgerald before this meme. I am cool. I'm cool.

Fuck...off...

Me too.

lmao...?

i'm looking forward to actually finishing up the rest of "Glasperlenspiel" by Hesse, and I'm reading Thus Spake Zarathustra in both English and German at the same time. I'd like those done before summer tho.

My list rn for the summer is:
Runaway Horses (english)
Crime and Punishment (German)
Magic Mountain (German)
Fourth Political Theory (English)
Confessions of a Mask (English)
Days of Rage (English)
The legacy of totalitarianism in a tundra (English)
and get started with Sein und Zeit by Heidegger in German.
Any suggestions to add to this list?
t. German language student

> just read classic philosophy and Glenn Beck.
well most internet atheists can't basis their disbelief in anything, they even don't know who Hume was!

also: if you dismiss centuries of christian tradition and philosophy you are dumb

I'm feeling stupidly ambitious. This summer, I'm reading:

Demons
The Idiot
The Brother's Karamazov
Anna Karenina
Ulysses
The Recognitions
The Sot-Weed Factor
Giles Goat-Boy

With the exception of the last three, these are rereads.
If I have time after these, I'm going through Borges's short stories.

>The Odyssey
>Ulysses
> Pale Fire
>Underworld
>Mason and Dixon
>The Magic Mountain

you have the summer off and that's what you're gonna fucking read???
get you a pile of fiddy short novels and novellas and short stories and plays etc from a big variety of authors and actually enjoy yourself
>also mfw read the silmarillion in a day when i was 18 and never gonna waste another minute on it again

>tfw dropped out and unemployed so summer is just like regular freedom but you get to drink and read in the sun

Planned to read this summer:
Demons
Anna Karenina or War & Peace
Blood Meridian
Hunger
Faust
Leiden des jungen Werther
All quiet on the western front
Master & Margarita
100 Years Solitude
Satantango
The Melancholy of Resistance