The Brainlet Effect

Is dumb the new smart? I have noticed for a while a trend among competitors, sports specifically, it doesn't matter if it's a physical sport or an esport; that at the highest level of play, players make retarded decisions that work because their opponent was expecting them to play intelligently and miss-reads their play or pattern or whatnot. Are these people actually brainlets? Perhaps. There are some useless players I've noticed in some of the sports I follow, (yeah they're usually black not trying to be racist or anything) who have made it to the top by being dumb, and I'm certain they aren't doing it purpose to trick their opponents, they are just brainlets. Anyone else notice this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2zFuzZbs8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anyone that plays esports is a brainlet.

Pretty sure faker is like 200 iq, but he's an honorary black to so your model is broken

>League of Assfaggots
>200 iq

either they aren't playing optimally or the game is shit

Deception is a strategic skill of intelligent people. If you or anyone else were duped by a particular strategy because you failed to anticipate it, you are in fact the brainlet.

But is it deception if it was unintended? If they didn’t know it would work?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2zFuzZbs8

Not what I'm talking about, say you compete at a high level, and you used to a high level of play. Some dumb shit comes along, and plays against you in top 8, you expect he made it this far so he must know what he is doing. Low and behold he is a dumb groid who chimped his way through.

If the executor is a conscious being with a track record of consistantly duping other people and succeeding because of it, I posit that person is choosing to behave in a certain manner.

Did you lose? If so, then either the game is poorly designed or you're the brainlet. The entire point is that you should be able to deceive your opponent and if the player does so until they win, that's a conscious decision. You need to modify your own behavior to the circumstances and if you can't, well...

You're talking of beginners luck. While that may get a brieft window of advantage, I doubt a top-tier sportsman would be able to carry that advantage for more than a game or two and certainly not for several seasons where they are competing with other very strong sportsmen.

The fact that you cannot understand this makes you a fucking dumbshit.

Getting outskilled by a retard makes you a retard.

if it works it's not dumb

It makes you worse than a retard.

so you're saying it comes down to consistency then. if they are not consistent they're garbage. I agree, but my original theory still stands, these people show up in every sport, get sponsors/money and half-decent results sometimes and make a living - by being stupid.

Did I stumble onto /b/ on accident? How is this Veeky Forums related?

double post but i got a perfect example in pic related. famous eports player on the right in pic related, never wins any tournaments, loses all the time in top 8 yet he makes more money than just about everyone in his industry because for whatever reason sponsors love to give him money and pay him to play.

Have you even looked at the rest of the board lately?

Yes

It works worse in games like (untimed or slow) chess where you can analyze the situation. esports usually involve more reaction and strategies where you have to choose a move randomly at the same time as the other person. If it's rock-paper-scissors then playing only rock might work assuming you only play one or two games.

This sounds as though you're complaining about personalities more than actual players. You don't have to be good at a sport to make money or have sponsors. Tiger Woods is often cited as the best golfer of all time but he's consistently performed poorly after his prime but remains popular or infamous because of his scandals and past experience. People would gladly sponsor him regardless of his actual performance because they know it will help their brand. Money in a sport isn't always based only on skill, even if it should be.

>Everyone else is acting like a retard. Why can't I :(
Retards like you are the reason for the rest of the board lately.

Assuming I'm also the retard that made this thread is poor judgement on your part.

I didn't say you made the thread, retard. Perpetuating it is part of the problem. Jesus you children are actual down syndrome tier.

But it's true. Science and maths and all that shit is for 130iq brainlet tryhards. True men of intellect know that this universe is just someone else's starcraft.

If someone consistently beats you and wins a lot, it's because they are better. Deal with it.

If you can't adapt your setpieces to novel strategy, it is your fault for being inferior and you suck. Sorry to break the news.

>esport

That isnt true at all you retard, you and I could play 100 games of chess and you could beat me 99 times. If I then win 70% of my games against the totality of the chess community excluding you, and you only win 30% I am a better player than you.

>sport

Your entire assumption is that player A messed up and player B was unable to adapt. That doesn't make player A worse because they made a mistake, it makes player B worse for their inability to adapt.

This thread has convinced me that Veeky Forums is a brainlet board. Rather than practicing and playing optimally, you guys are defending what is instead random luck based on what you assume your opponent will do. Judging from this thread which has League and fighting games, one time guesses in those games are enough to shift the tide in your favor and completely win. Very few of the posts recognize that there needs to be a consistent performance where the player deceives the other(s) to win instead of winning an entire team fight in LoL in one instance because someone loses to your retarded play or a fighting game where a single combo can cost you 80% of your health bar. Good players look to improve their fundamentals rather than relying on random guesses that are high risk high reward for both parties. All these posts defending this playstyle makes it clear the Veeky Forums IS the brainlet in video games.

Wow man you sure must be mad for getting your ass handed to you but a nigger. Just kill yourself.

To be fair, I'd be pissed if I bought a donkey and was handed a nigger.

How is it random luck for someone to win consistently? It means you aren't good enough to scrutinize and ken their strategy.

It's not. That's why he said and I quote "there needs to be consistent performance".
That's literally his point. Relying on luck isn't a strategy. Practicing fundamentals and knowing where your game lies is strategy.

Thats too obvious, literally everyone thinks of doing that, if you can figure out a weakness and feel your skill is higher in some ability you should always play to that.

>literally everyone thinks of doing that
Read the thread.

>if u hve strengths play 2 dat!
Gee thanks coach. Make sure you hand out orange slices at half time. Your question was: "how is it random luck to won consistently?"
And my answer was: "It's not, that's his point."

If you lose, ever, you’re the brainlet. There’s no refuting this outside of games that actually rely on luck such as the lottery. In a skill based environment, if you lose because you didn’t anticipate how stupid someone is, that’s your fault. Esports shouldn’t even be applicable to this example since you can already see the playstyle of everyone when it’s shown online. If you didn’t do your homework, that’s on you.

>if you lose, ever, you're the brainlet
Life must be rough for losers like you.

If you’re a better player, why didn’t you beat me?

t.

Genuine aspergers here
Wouldn't this be involved with a proportion of both EQ and IQ? I'm fairly certain most sports and esports players depend upon battle tactics and psychological warfare to bring down their opponent. Rather than using math and science, they would go with their "game-sense", or instinct, which is acquired via training, competition, etc. Why would they be considered "dumb" just because they didn't use the most logical pathway? Please correct me if I sound like I just pulled a Bill Nye.

What does that make you if you lost then?

Congratulations, OP.
You have discovered the incredible concept of playing dumb and/or doing something unpredictable.

Correct.

That's the Mango.

Isn’t the point of game balance to prevent that from being a viable strategy? A good player should be able to persist even against unpredictable situations, a better player will capitalize on them.

>this universe is just someone else's starcraft.
It's a little girl's The Sims.

OP you got tricked you dummy. Enjoy rationalizing your butthurt.

i did not notice this.
life is unpredictable.
and silly people are harder to control (same goes for smart people).
very smart people are even harder to control.

the whole world is a big pot of trickery. yes i understood the txdrill pull attempt with the new mex prof, not gunna happon. gunna drill psyberia or die trying.

You need to be smart enough to keep coming up with new workable bullshit. You can build a strategy doing the same gambit over and over again, but good luck winning more than once.

What are you even on about?

The loser, and yet still the statistically most winning and therefore better player.

As long as you understand.

He’s saying that you should take the loss gracefully instead of trying to justify reasons why you think your opponent is an irrational idiot and thus, the cause for your loss. Like the OP of this thread.

Data did this on Star Trek. Strategema.

Dude you are incredibly retarded. Don’t bother replying, I’m hiding the thread

are you saying girls can not play starcraft?

Deception by using less common and less efective methods is nothing more than a gamble. Throwing physical skill into the mix increases your odds

>I have noticed for a while a trend among competitors, sports specifically, it doesn't matter if it's a physical sport or an esport; that at the highest level of play, players make retarded decisions that work because their opponent was expecting them to play intelligently and miss-reads their play or pattern or whatnot.

>doesn't understand 4D chess

Adaptation takes time, possibly more than one game.

if it's pervasive enough good players learn to find patterns in the chimping or adapt to it
even then if the chimp is smart enough being able to just consistently outmaneuver players is the hallmark of a good player

At a low level of play anything goes, better players will rise beyond this.

At a mid level of play there are the "right" and "wrong" ways to play but people aren't always good enough to stick to this and can be unpredictable, but players who are better at playing "right" will move on.

At a high level of play the game has become limited to the "right" way to play only and the best person to adhere to these strategies will win.

At the highest level of play, the game has been refined to the point where anything goes again because anyone playing at this level knows their opponent is capable of perfect execution of the best play and vice versa.

This should be obvious to anyone who has invested any significant amount of time in getting good at any sport or game. You don't need to study it, it just becomes apparent as you get better and see how the game changes.

Dismissing this as "brainlets are in charge now" is a good way to seem upset and frustrated about being bad.