I started reading blood meridian but stopped like 80 pages in and i don't feel like picking it up again...

I started reading blood meridian but stopped like 80 pages in and i don't feel like picking it up again. It was just a edgy murderfest with a meme prose. Why do so many people like it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8WZGK2kziPM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

its violent and pretty.
its easy to like if you are not really into esoteric shit.

Sounds like it all went over your head.

probably

If you're not baiting OP this is unfortunately true for you. :(

Its seriously reddit

i want to add that i have seen so much media with "2deep4you" psychopaths and violence that i have grown completely tired of it.

>he stopped reading before he realized that the Judge was literally (not figuratively, not symbolically) the devil.

That being said, still not too huge on McCarthy. The Judge really does elevate this work single-handedly, but I feel he could have been implemented better. In the end it's just very beautiful 20th century "muh gnosticism" Bloom-bait.

The violence isn't supposed to titillate you. If it doesn't shock you, yes, you may be desensitized. But that is not on the book and it certainly shouldn't stop you from enjoying it and engaging with it seriously.

yeh, i've been struggling through it. it's pretty, but some parts that use archaic language have me looking up words on every page and this is distracting. also, i could not find the meaning of 'awap' anywhere.

won't be reading any more mccarthy, i think. i've heard the road is worse. and there's the other meme westerns to read: butcher's crossing and warlock.

honestly would rather read more palahniuk.

yeh. i guess they were a lot fresher back in 1982 or whenever.

spoilers dude. i mean it's kind of obvious by halfway through but yea spoilers pls.

>would rather read more palahniuk

sounds about right

Thats really not whats happening in Blood Meridian.

The fact that you think that means You sound like a terrible pleb.

I wouldn't say that his "theme" is the absurdity of life, but rather the weird absurdity that humans create for themselves, and the constructs we consider it necessary to uphold -- power, honor, violence, etc.

In his more "happy" novels (The Road, All The Pretty Horses), one of McCarthy's strongest devices is creating displays of beauty by showing the pain of loss: What better way can exemplify love than heartbreak? What better way can we exemplify the bond of a father and a son than by straining it to its natural conclusion?

McCarthy has been called the "heir" to Faulkner's tradition, and I think that's the key to what you're looking for. A common gripe about Blood Meridian is the excessive scenery description. However, McCarthy is never one to include that which is unnecessary -- juxtapose the beauty and peace of the landscape to the violence and carnage that follows man in a "new" frontier. McCarthy isn't implying that violence is inherent to our nature, but that we THINK that it is, and therefore we follow it to uphold the atavistic tendencies we can justify. All The Pretty Horses: The honor and loyalty of remaining with ones family instead of following one's heart isn't inherent to our nature, but we THINK that it is, and therefore we perpetuate our unhappiness.

Retaining the Faulkner point, look at books like The Sound and The Fury or Absalom!, Absalom!. Both of these seem to put the strange "have to's" of life under scrutiny -- the toxic, unspoken values and culture of the South exemplify the strongest the absurdity of social values. Unspoken rules and social gestures are key in navigating these societies, yet everybody can equally recognize their baroque and superficial nature.

Crossreference this to upholding the constructs of honor, violence, forbidden love, etc. and you've got a good look at McCarthy.

get a load of these plebs

get off my board

Because Americans are insecure and cling to meme authors to pretend that they are good.

>80 pages in
>murderfest
You probably didn't even get 80 pages in, you are just posting from meme knowledge.

this. opie is simply aping harold bloom's direct quotations on blood meridian.

The road is worse except for the last couple pages.

Anyone remember that quote about Glanton sitting at the campfire? I remember it being really pretty. something about the fire reflecting off his eyes. I'm trying to pick out a few quotes from the book to cite, but i'm having trouble finding it. looking for..

>glanton's eyes description
>the foal being slaughtered and roasted
>The Mastiff and mutt being burned

pseud post

read more literature instead of regurgitating shit you read on the new yorker and dropping in keywords from literary analysis 101

Why is Glanton so overlooked? He is by far the most compelling character but I only ever see discussion of the kid and Holden, it's like discussing Moby Dick without Ahab and Fedalla

>The magician family
>The mexican gang who compares the kid to a baby sheep lost in the hills
>The DIY gunpowder massacre

This book is the shit OP

It is literally the only book where you can come face to face with the devil and leave without being cursed for life

I am into esoteric shit and I fucking love it (I know several others who have my same tastes and do)

You're just not ready for it. I don't mean that in a bad way. I couldn't get through the first three pages when I was a pleb. Come back to it later.

hahaha holy shit there are actually people on this board that think BM is a "deep" book

this book is like half a step above YA genre fic senpai there's barely anything to "get"

>you can't have an opinion

:^D

Its seriously try hard 2edgy4u reddit genre fiction trash. If I was balding and had a copy I would put it into the wastebin and film the results to trigger you fags.

youtube.com/watch?v=8WZGK2kziPM

alright I'm filtering "meme" hopefully I'll be shielded from "some" of the idiocy that's posted here on a daily basis

so long

you're a champ, user