So if and this is a big if planet 9 is discovered to be real can we all agree that it will be named nibiru...

so if and this is a big if planet 9 is discovered to be real can we all agree that it will be named nibiru ? it just seems like such a fitting and perfect name for the hypothetical planet

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_deities
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_(mythology)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarqeq
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarnsaxa_(moon)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarvos_(moon)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makemake
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haumea
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90482_Orcus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50000_Quaoar
twitter.com/AnonBabble

kek that would definitely trigger those conspiracy theorists if there are any who still think its supposed to crash into Earth.

There is a 9th planet. It has a larger(calculated) mass than pluto and thats part of the reason pluto was demoted. Naming it Nibiru would be a misnomer because the place all these conspiracy nuts get that name is from Sumerian cuneiform writing. The Sumerians were, somehow, aware of the ninth planet you are talking about but that is not the planet that they referred to as Nibiru. The planet they called “Nibiru” was on a highly eliptical orbit and supposedly passed between the orbits of Earth and Mars every 3600 years or so. Note that i do not believe any of this is true, im telling you where the Nibiru origin story comes from and why the 9th planet is not what the conspiracy theorists are referring to. One thing that does strike me as odd though is that the Sumerians had knowledge of planets that are hardly visible even through the use of a telescope. If there is any truth to the Nibiru story it’s likely not a planet at all and more likely was a planet sized mothership belonging to some visiting Ayyyyy lmaos, who decided to come down and blow the minds of some stupid monkey people while getting some slave labor out of it before they decided to peace the fuck out of the solar system forever. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than any story in the Bible.

damn so the name nibiru won't be a fitting name still a cool name though but if not that what should we call it ?

NO! Don't feed the conspiracy nuts!
Pluto's big moon SHOULD have been named Proserpina for Pluto's wife.
Since they missed out there, the name is still available for a 9th planet.

Assuming it's decided that it is a planet. Even if it turns out to be the size of, say, Neptune, it probably won't have "cleared out its orbit", so the stupid definition may disqualify it.

>conspiracy nuts

If its discovered to be true, were they really conspiracy nuts?

yes

Enough with the greek names please.

It's not the 1950's anymore and I hate this euro-centring naming tradition.

Why not look for interesting names from the Asian or African mythology instead?

Or maybe even, *gasp*, drop the mythology and use modern names that resonate with all of us today?

This. The next object shall be named Bieber in honor of this millennium's most profound artist.

Persephone

>lets pwease name a planet a more modern name like Dotcom or Barack
Jesus Christ, neck yourself redditfag

Beautiful
Love that name and her story
>use modern names that resonate with all of us today
Bait or a legit retard here

At least in the modern era, it is useful to use a name that has minimal political bias. Latin/Greek suits that purpose well. Obviously this wasn't the original consideration but it suits this hyper culture pretty well now honestly.

the next object we discover

*unzips infinite set*

will be a mathematical one, kid

*dashes at the speed of epsilon*

Yeah, forget about the greatest civilization that ever existed already. Let's look for inspiration in the diverse and rich ""culture"" of Africa.

Its not true though. The 3600 year “orbit” of “Nibiru” would have had it making a fly by of Earth in the 1970s. It didnt happen.

>names that resonate with all of us today
So its settled. We shall call it planet Trump.

>I hate this euro-centring naming tradition.
Wow, it's almost like the discoveries themselves are part of Euro-central culture, technology, etc.

>Why not look for interesting names from the Asian or African mythology instead
*gets popcorn*

This is actually why Greek/Latin names are chosen. Astronomers naming planets after their own kings used to cause massive shitstorms back in the day. As a black person I say we may as well just continue the tradition for our solar system, I've never actually met a minority that cared that Mars wasn't named Xufufu'a'weh. Maybe have different solar systems with different ethnic names because we're gonna run out of Greek/Latin names one day anyway.

>Naming the planet Trump
I agree, it is only fitting for such a man to reach god status.

Europe would probably nuke America over this desu

Wouldn't be unprecedented.
William Herschel decided to name the object Georgium Sidus (George's Star), or the "Georgian Planet" in honour of his new patron, King George III.
The rest of the world wasn't happy and everyone eventually agreed on "Uranus".

I wouldn't object -- provided he'd leave immediately to conqu, I mean, explore it.

Use punctuation

*cough*
>Roman...
*cough*

Call it Olden, or Ulden.

Pluto the Second.

come up with something new. like Goofy or Foghorn Leghorn

Roman gods only!(fuck that one german dude who fucked EVERYTHING) Oh fuck, the best names are already taken.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_deities
I'm gonna nominate Diana, because she's the goddess of the hunt and being out in the boonies. We're gonna have to hunt like crazy for it and it's gonna be way the fuck out there.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_(mythology)

Of course if the people who discover it keep the initial sighting secret long enough for them to get the orbit and mass, they can name it whatever they want. The IAU has no rules governing what a new planet inside the solar system must be named. NONE whatsoever. They could name it after themselves, some anime girl, a living person, a commercial product(planet coca-cola), a profanity, or something absurdly long.

Pluto is called Pluto because it has an outline that looks like Pluto.

WE WUZ PLANETZ AND SHIT WE FINNA NAME A PLANET AFTAH OBAMA

Most of the roman names are taken by moons of jupiter and saturn

I'm going to name my first planet akari akaza

name one planet foghorn and the other one leghorn

If you're going to outsource planet names at least pick a somewhat respectable culture. Use some Hindu names from the Vedas and what not. I name the new one Vishnu, or Krishna.

>I hate this euro-centring naming tradition
It's part of our culture faggot, get over it.

I want a planet Jamaal

>Enough with the greek names please.
What? That changed years ago, go look at the names of the newer-discovered moons or Kuiper belt objects.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarqeq
>It is named after Tarqeq, the Inuit moon god

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarnsaxa_(moon)
>It is named after Járnsaxa, a giantess in Norse mythology.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarvos_(moon)
>The name, given in August 2003, is after Tarvos, a deity depicted as a bull god carrying three cranes alongside its back from Gaulish mythology.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makemake
>Its name derives from Makemake in the mythology of the Rapa Nui people of Easter Island.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haumea
>named after Haumea, the Hawaiian goddess of childbirth.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90482_Orcus
>the deity Orcus was the Etruscan equivalent of the Roman Pluto

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50000_Quaoar
>named after mythological figures from the Native American Tongva people in Southern California. Quaoar is the Tongva creator deity

>if and this is a big if planet 9 is discovered it will be named nibiru ?
but and this is a big butt I'd prefer it to be called planet Braaaaap

>Makemake

moar like bobbehbobbeh amirite?

“And finally, we have the nineth planet in our solar system, Deshawn Parsons”

Worth a sniff or two

I like that it is common to use deities and such for naming astronomical bodies. It immortalises the cultures and traditions.

>get a dog
>name it chupacabras
>OMG THE CHUPACABRAS IS REAL MEXICANS WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG

Please don’t ever post any more responses on the internet ever again for the rest of your natural life.

>there is a 9th planet
[citation needed]

(you) for the good b8 ;^)

>George's Sides

We could use the Windows naming convention and call it planet 10.

If you call out a jew for a real crime, are you still an antisemite?

Who cares, we'd all be dead anyways.

If it isn't named Yuggoth there will be blood.

of course you are - truth is never a defense against the charge of racism. like the politician who had a bunch of blacks demanding he be forced out of of office for using the word 'niggardly'. when informed of their stupidity for not knowing what the word meant, they doubled down and insisted he still needed to go because it was his fault for making them think he used a bad word