Atlas V SBIRS Flight 4

Launch scheduled for 7:48PM EST.

This variant of the Atlas V has only one strap-on booster, meaning it uses asymmetric thrust kind of like the space shuttle.

Stream should start in about 32 minutes.
youtube.com/watch?v=eV03W0mnxkI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tNveMjoSxp0
youtu.be/1K9PVmjjI_c
twitter.com/RocketLab/status/954526025026699264
youtube.com/watch?v=eg5234BOED8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why do I love ULA so much? It's pretty simple when I think about it. ULA isn't just the best launch provider in the country; they might just be the greatest launch provider of all time. Just imaging the Altas V riding through the skies of Earth, the wind on its fairing, the mighty RD-180 below it. As she rides through the red sky, NASA swoons at her very scent. They know how she smells; the essence of burning RP-1 smell is sold in Orlando under the name of "Space Orgasm." The very nature of ULA is mystery. Could they be playing a deeper game than even Tory Bruno realizes? The answer is yes, ULA has transcended such boundaries as the physical world, and has free will to do whatever they sees fit. However, ULA is filled with such guile, such arcane craft that they does not even use these powers. Why, you might ask? You will never know, for the mind of the ULA is not one that is easily penetrated. ULA rockets are such a force of nature in this realm that nothing can truly touch them, the only thing keeping them bound to this world at all is their will to exist within the preordained boundaries understood physics. ULA is not only beyond the comprehension of us, it exists within a plane of true focus and beauty. Observe the plume of exhaust gasses from this Delta IV, the gorgeous and rippling flames, the gallant fairing, and most importantly, its engines. Her engines, like cauldrons straight from hell, provide the only glimpse into the true machinations of ULA. Do not stare into them. Many good men have gone mad in the attempt. ULA is not just a launch provider, a formless collection of engineers and rockets; they are themselves the binding that holds the word together. Without ULA, Musk the Menace takes over and the entire space industry as we know it crumbles. The Mississippi would stop flowing without ULA, Kessler syndrome would take over in orbit, and the space station would fall without their fiery gaze. These are just of a few of the reasons why I like ULA so much.

T- 4m and holding, polling soon

final polling happening now

are things nominal yet?

Go for launch, T- 4min and counting

COUNTDOWN CLOCK HATH RESUMED

T-2 minutes

90 SECONDS

LAUNCH THEME
youtube.com/watch?v=tNveMjoSxp0

LIFTOFF

IDS HABBEIGNG

Absolutely nominal

Stage 1-2 sep and RL-10 ignition.

If we're lucky, there will shortly be an orbital launch by RocketLab's Electron in New Zealand at around 1:30 UTC

youtu.be/1K9PVmjjI_c

First engine cutoff, 10 minute coast

Could something bad happen now?

yeah, but RL-10 is pretty reliable.

Second ignition OK.

Second cutoff OK. SBIRS separation in about ten minutes.

Where the videostream at?

SBIRS separation! mission complete

is there one of these for the mcchicken?

No I mean the Rocket Lab stream.

oh, weather delay

twitter.com/RocketLab/status/954526025026699264

it is a four hour window, so there is some time for the weather to clear.

(still, when is it ever not windy in New Zealand?!)

Electron delayed to 9:36PM EST

finally started!

Electron is live

4 minutes to Electron launch

>[SUDDEN ZAPPING NOISES]

Go little Electron!

BE GONE GULL

1 minute

HOLD HOLD HOLD

HOLD

Hold Hold fuck

>those gaymen headsets

fucking ULA boats

Rogue vessel entered launch area.

(Fucking boats.)

Rogue leader standing by

Electron a cute

2nd attempt in six minutes!

Electron launch attempt : T minus 4 minutes

new livestream: youtube.com/watch?v=eg5234BOED8

FINALLYYYYY

Stage 1-2 sep!! Fairing sep!

beautiful views from the onboard cameras!

what's the payload?

>Hotswap

I think that is switching between battery packs for the electric fuel pumps. I think the depleted batteries were ejected right after that callout.

Mission success!!

That was great

Experimental cubesats from Spire and Planet Labs.

Several records set for this flight:
* First successful orbit by RocketLabs and Electron
* First successful use of electric fuel pumps on a rocket engine.
* First orbital flight by an all-composite launcher
* First orbital flight from New Zealand, joining a rank of only ten other countries.
* Second private company to orbit, after SpaceX. (But Falcon 1 took four attempts before success.)

Proud day to be a Kiwi!

I also heard this may set the record for lightest vehicle to orbit, thanks to the composite tanks and electric motors. It weighed less than 13 tons at liftoff.

>all those spaceX fanboys in the comments

fuckin sheesh

>All these retards on reddit blaming Republicans for the shutdown

fucking reddit retards don't know how to count