Real Literature = Sci-Fi

I'd argue that SF represents literature's real mainstream. What we now normally consider the mainstream—so called realistic fiction—is a small literary genre, fairly recent in origin, which is likely to be relatively short lived.

When I look back at the foundations of literature, I see literary figures who, if they were alive today, would probably be members of the Science Fiction Writers of America. Homer? He would certain belong to the SFWA. So would Dante, Milton, and Shakespeare. That tradition is literature's mainstream, and it has been what has grown out of that tradition which has been labeled SF or whatever label you want to use.

>I'd argue that SF represents literature's real mainstream.
[citation needed]

Those would more accurately be described as fantasy if you want to follow that logic. But you're not wrong, realistic literature started with the rise of modern capitalism.

Unfortunately, there are few works of sci-fi or fantasy which show any discernible talent. They often regurgitate the same plots over and over, have cliche ridden, terrible prose, and painfully unoriginal archetypal characters.

These days*CARRANZ Carrefour

>Homer? He would certain belong to the SFWA. So would Dante, Milton, and Shakespeare.

How can you cite a personal opinion?

you still writing kids books about chooks, Leone?

> no hats.
> and no genre fiction.

checked

>How can you cite a personal opinion?
Like so:

"I'd argue that SF represents literature's real mainstream."(1)

(1) Me. "My Hot Opinion". My Ass, 2017

>asking for the citation to a personal premise
>ignores the bulk of the argument that follows

Let me explain your funny joke, OP.

You are calling traditional religion and folklore science fiction as a backhanded compliment. Very fierce of you, super coy.

You are calling niche interest fetishism for virgins who think big guns in space are cool the latest incarnation of consecrated epic, tragic and sacred literature. This is deliberately smug of you, and doesn't reflect your non-defensive opinion, which is that big guns in space are cool.

I can't see Dante or Shakespeare in the SF, no matter how I try to spin it.
Whoever wrote the book of Enoch, though. There's your ancient Sci-fi. Revelation less so.

seriously big world and serious external enemies only exist in SF. this is foundation for new epics. op did nothing wrong.

Midsummer Night's Dream and Macbeth are obviously fantasy, which would make them sci-fi at Shakespeare's time, since the term 'science' wasn't around yet

Literary fiction with fantasy elements isn't the same as fantasy.

This. The faries in MSND and the witches in MacBeth are conceived from the outset as devices. SF/F authors insert these kinds of things in general as a form of escapism.

Well, this isn't REALLY sci-fi because my professor told me it's okay to like it

>mfw no one else notices OP is posting Gene Wolfe quotes

I don't like how only homosexual jews writing memoirs are considered "real" literature in modern times.

>whch would make them sci-fi at Shakespeare's time, since the term 'science' wasn't around yet

This is incredibly stupid

>realistic literature started with the rise of modern capitalism.
See: Realism.
Alternatively, see: New Tragedy.

The problem is that science fictions primary purpose is escapism, usually through rehashed plots and cliches which are exciting because they're unexplored.

If you believe this was dante, milton and shakespeares goal then yes, real literature = SciFi

>escapism
You keep saying this word, yet never explain why it's bad. Is literature somehow obliged to be about muh human condition and deep philosophical feels to have worth? Why is letting imagination run wild to weave a vivid, inspiring fictional world any worse?

You guys stink of english major and desperation to validate reading as a totally-important-thing-to-do

No.

Sci-Fi themes and devices become outdated too quickly, it makes disinterested contemplation impossible. basically the (outdated) tech aspect makes it to hard to take seriously

its genre fiction, not literature.

>scifi is about the tech itself and not about the implications and meanings that such tech can provide to humans has a species
nice opinions mongo