French philosophy is shit

Come on guys. You know it. Sartre, Camus, Deleuze, Derrida, Foucault... These are fucking idiots. The only things they say that are even slightly relevant are ripoff from (misinterpreted) German philosophers).

Only literature students read this stuff and take it seriously - also because most of the times it supports the shallow relavitistic and/or nihilistic views they hope will help them picking up girls.

No one take French philosophy after Descartes even remotely seriously in philosophy departments. If they do, your university is shit. Stop reading this stuff, 1968 has long gone. Engage with good philosophy like Plato and Kant: don't be a literature student, who reads this stuff on manuals or has read the Symposium for that one course on the Renaissance.

Ascend.

t. hasn't read a word of French philosophy

Camus fucking sucks.

>DUDE absurdity of existence. Nothing really matters!

That's it?

How is Foucault nihilistic? Also I think Camus works hand-in-hand with Kant. Come on senpai.

>Not an argument

>and/or nihilistic

I didn't say Foucault was nihilistic. He's the one that is continuously used to justify relativism.

>concept x does not exist in itself but it is a construct resulted from human practices
>Here is one hundred anecdotes selectively chosen to persuade you

Here, this is Foucault. Nice move.

Also, nobody here is addressing the problem that actual philosophers don't read this shit.
Except that crack addict meme that is Zizek, possibly - but I wouldn't know, because the philosophy I study usually doesn't have pictures nor videos of hyperactive sweaty guys rubbing their nose compulsively

Also, Camus is well known for not reading the philosophers he quoted. He read Heidegger from manuals and criticized his thought for fuck's sake. I have nothing against him as a novelist - but as a philosophers he's objectively very weak

I wouldn't call Foucault a philosopher though. He's more of a social theorist, so I can understand your damage with him. As for his justification for relativism-- fuck, you must hate most of the existential thought from the past seventy years.

As for tug tug sniff sniff man I have no opinions other than he and Chomsky just need to fuck already the sexual tension is just plain palpable.

In fact, I do. Existentialism was a fashion, not a philosophy.
Nietzsche, Kierkegaard and Heidegger (for as much as I dislike this last one) were serious philosophers who got endlessly exploited and misinterpreted by barely alphabetized frenchmen who turned them into black turtlenecks 'my life so sad' memes

What's your damage with Heidegger? Like, you dislike him and Camus and they're both very Kantian dudes.

Do you dislike the fact all of them skirt the question of reality and it's our moral imperative to act?

Daily reminder the French translations of Nietzsche are Nietzsche approved. :3

The 'question of reality' is not kantian. The answer Kant gives it's Kantian.
If you believe that someone is Kantian just because he says 'there (may) be something outside of our interpretation of reality that we can never know' than basically every skeptic ever can be classified as Kantian.
Kant's answer is Kantian - that is, saying that there is an actual field of knowledge, which is that of the pure forms of Intellect - namely, of the way Intellect builds up our interpretation of reality.

Neither Camus nor Heidegger, as much as I know, follow this claim. They both focus on how to reach what is beyond ourselves - or on how to live despite the fact that we cannot know it.
None of this is Kantian.

How is this relevant? Translation is philology.
And I don't think Nietzsche would have agreed with Foucault's interpretation his philosophy.

I haven't a speckle of French ancestry. Why should I read anything that comes out of France?

who are you quoting

>actual philosophers

What?

French will soon only be spoken by West Africans as it should be!

GOOD POST! finally

Actual philosophers do read Foucault you fucking idiots.

I agree, being french just discredits any philosopher.

I am glad we could have this thread.

They had the GOAT tho.

>mfw mostly french ancestry
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

North Africa exists. I've heard that it is expanding north, too.

No they don't. The analytic ones don't even bother reading stuff that's longer than the average article, and the continentals read Heidegger