Why does Veeky Forums never discuss one of the greatest modern philosophers?

why does Veeky Forums never discuss one of the greatest modern philosophers?

postmodern bourgeois semantics are not my cup of tea

His ideas aren't edgy enough.

Utterly boring and inconsequential

Basically this, Veeky Forums only discusses philosophers you can shitpost about. Because if you can't shitpost, you have to actually read.

He's what happens when crit theory stops chasing rebellion and utopia, and grows the fuck up:
>For the normative self-understanding of modernity, Christianity has functioned as more than just a precursor or catalyst. Universalistic egalitarianism, from which sprang the ideals of freedom and a collective life in solidarity, the autonomous conduct of life and emancipation, the individual morality of conscience, human rights and democracy, is the direct legacy of the Judaic ethic of justice and the Christian ethic of love. This legacy, substantially unchanged, has been the object of a continual critical reappropriation and reinterpretation. Up to this very day there is no alternative to it. And in light of the current challenges of a post-national constellation, we must draw sustenance now, as in the past, from this substance. Everything else is idle postmodern talk.

>Up to this very day there is no alternative to it.

Aaaaahahahaha.

because he's a cuck and probably a jew as well

Where to start with Habermas?

(Please don't say The Greeks)

i have immense respect for the Frankfurt school but habermas is by far the biggest hack of the lot

The Sumerians

He's the most boring of the cultural marxists.

I found Theory of Communicative Action V.1 for 15 bux in a used bookstore the other day. V.2 is on the way elsewhere.

I want to read his habilitationschrift first though, as I've had it for years and it's shorter. a few pages in, I'm reading some light fiction first.

TCA will then become the new Veeky Forums meme.

The hilarious thing about Habermas is that you can't even fit him squarely among continentals, analytics or pragmatists, he takes from all traditions, you kind of need an encyclopedic knowledge of some two centuries of philosophy inside out and across all boards.

So to "simplify" things:

Greeks
Bible
Continental philosophy: Kant, Hegel, Heidegger
Classical sociology: Marx, Dilthey, Mead, Durkheim, Weber, Talcott Parsons
Pragmatism: Peirce, Dewey
Analytic philosophy: Wittgenstein, J.L. Austin
Psychology: Freud, Jean Piaget
Critical theory: Horkheimer, Adorno, Marcuse

The fun hasn't even begun yet, because he's been a busy, prolific writer since The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere in 1962.

He's quite difficult to understand

Who is he? I'm not very familiar with modern philosophers.

I know Robert S. Corrington and Timothy Williamson - that's about it.

Any recs?

No he's not. Although he's definitely Frankfurt 2.0, and is influenced by Marx, it's a stretch to call him a Marxist. Legitimation Crisis is a great work of theoretical sociology.

Hmmm. He sounds level-headed. I'm interested.

I propose a reading group for TCA at some point in the near future. The trick is to present an English language link for the text.

I have a vague memory from an undergrad class on early-modern philosophy where the professor (who really was good, intelligent, even-handed etc) described to us three of the most difficult philosophical texts he had ever read. One was Kant's pure reason, the other in his acount (if I remember correctly) was Habermas' TCA, and a third I forget. the university library had V.2 "lifeworld and system", and I checked it out around that time and something-something-Hegel something and I was totally lost and impressed all at once. This "challenge" is what impressed itself upon me at the time.

Flipping through V.1, things don't seem nearly so bad now. Habermas cites his sources and gives good context to what he is talking about, for people like me who don't have full context (le Weber, le Protestant work ethic, etc).

Does anyone have any interest in this project, which would be loosely executed by means of a few Veeky Forums threads, over a few months.

does anyone have that copypasta about the get with a phd in habermas studies with an unpublished biography of his who moved to mississippi looking for a adjunct teaching gig but it went to some other habermas scholar so now he's stuck in some town in the middle of the deep south working at a denny's or something...oh god that was gold...

it was a Husserl scholar you goddamned pleb

also, I have the .png but I'm not giving it to you

What about me?

Wanna play cs together?

No, I'm procrastinating on doing reading on natural rights theory/grading papers, I want to commiserate through Veeky Forums with the lonely Husserl scholar.

>Up to this very day there is no alternative to it.

What a weird thing to say.

you seem nice

cultural marxist frankfurt school cuck. worthless

some are easily deceivied by rabulism

Because no one has actually read him (or if they have, done so poorly) because everyone on Veeky Forums is a pseudo-intellectual (myself included).

Because you liking someone doesn't make them the BESTEST EVAR