How important are female characters

I'm currently writing a scenario of a sci-fi story taking place in a futuristic city. I just realized there were no female characters and it seems the script has weakened due to this lack.
I've never been in a relationship and don't speak much with women in general, so I might not understand well there character type. Is that a drag on writing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0g9_wfkYjfo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If a writer can't include well written female characters, that's a shitty writer.
get gud, then try again

You can't write good fiction about the world if you don't know the world: seems like you know nothing about half of the population.

Write about what you know, user.

there's a rule in script writing, i forget what it's called. but bascially a reader (producer) will test the script by determining whether there is a single instance of a female to female conversation that is not about one of the male characters. obviously, its not great to fail the test.

though it sounds like you dont kno much about women, just make it up. often i find peoples conceptions about shit more interesting than the reality. just create female characters you'd like to know or not know. additionally, you must know your mom, no?

There is no well written female character. But I can help you create one, -she must be an evil snake piece of shit son of a bitch

Bechdel Test

To write good female characters, your soul has to be consumed by lust and frustration.
If you have a gf, dump her. Become very depressed until you could just punch walls out of mere resentment
You have to dream of nude bodies constantly, you have to forget that girls can talk, you have to see them as moaning, sweaty curves

If you can do that, you are in the appropriate mindset to write good female characters, otherwise don't bother

what sorts of books do you read?

Just write a man and change the name, they're just people. Remember it's better to have a female character lacking in femininity than a character lacking any kind of personality.

Then shit, I think I'll try and write my story with one, and ask people if the character is weird or not.

Besides comic-books (mainly europeans and manga), I only read philosophies, rarely novels but I do like plays like the Ibsen's ones ("A Doll's House" particularly) or some without any female characters (scifi ones). Do you have any books to recommend me?

Jane Austen should give you a good grounding in the female of the species

>Will you tell me how long you have loved him?'

>It has been coming on so gradually, that I hardly know when it began. But I believe I must date it from my first seeing his beautiful grounds at Pemberley.

You should consider reading more novels in general, your writing will only be the better for it. as for recommendations, I'm not an expert, but some of my favorites include Madame Bovary, the Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy (Tiina Nunnaly translation), maybe the Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Maybe some Virginia Woolf.

Just pretend to be Herman Melville and you don't need to write about women

>not setting your novel in a Utopia where the female race has been eradicated and replaced with incubation tanks

Write a male character, but give him a emotional maturity of someone 5-10 years his junior

There, you've written a woman

There are tons of great stories that don't have female characters in them. If you don't feel the need to have a woman in your story, then just don't have one.

/ic/ bro

Reminder that Hemingway wrote almost exclusively males, and aside from some revisionist nonsense interpretations all his women are one-dimensional sex objects in the most literal sense.

OP, if your script is truly weakened due to you not conforming to social ideals about the portrayal of certain people, it's mediocre trash anyways. Like the others said, write what you KNOW. Don't write dilettante pandering garbage because that's what's expected of you.

Do not. Force in. Female. Characters.

If they work, put them in, but putting them there just for the fuck of it will ruin your novel.

The Bechdel Test is feminist bullshit which disregards how relevant that convo may be to the plot.

For example, two washerwomen could talk about how best to cook a chicken for ten seconds, and that would be a "better female presence" then Princess Leia in Star Wars.

It would certainly be a good reply to the all-female utopias that are so socially acceptable in sci-fi/fantasy.

>all-female uptopias

Name a single one

Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

I prefer works without female characters.

>Hemingway wrote almost exclusively males
And Hemingway is considered quite limited as a novelist.
You can get away with it lie Hemingway, or Melville or Conrad, if you manage to set your work in a male dominated environment, but those are much rarer now than before.

>And Hemingway is considered quite limited as a novelist.
>is considered
Considered by fucking whom? If that's what you think, just SAY that Hemingway is limited as a novelist.

huh?

All I want is to be the cum tank

If it's a city, it's going to be weird if there are no women without some explanation. Shoe-horning in women will almost certainly suck and your reader will know. Either read some books by/with/about women to get an idea of how to write women, or come up with a reason why there are none. Maybe the space station isn't a city, but an asteroid mining colony and all the inhabitants are rough-neck/super-masculine types, like at the shale oil fields.

TL,DR; Either way, you're going to have to use your imagination harder.

>how important are female characters
generally if there are female characters in a book, I avoid reading that book

What books are left?

>Has never read a book

Ok, by Nabokov, Orwell, Tom Wolfe, Gore Vidal. And me.

Christ BBC3 made some weird animated shows in its time

if any of them talk to each other, you're a cuck

I like break the 4th wall and have a male character violently torture and kill the female characters anytime they try to have a conversation

>makes bitter posts on Veeky Forums
>thinks he's emotionally mature
bro please

That shit is ancient, along with all the other all-female utopias

I love how Veeky Forums struggles with women. As authors, characters, critics, always that hilariously adolescent combination of fear and desire and self-delusion

>bitter
It was surprisingly tame.

>bitter posts

It's a movie reference

youtube.com/watch?v=0g9_wfkYjfo

bump

Just finish your book and then use CTRL-F to change a couple character names to female?
>profit

literally just change the sex of some of your characters and there you go.

Don't forget to also change penis into vagina where applicable.

You don't have any women in your family? A mother?

My mom died in a hospital stretcher collision literally minutes after giving birth to me

lol

wow
you should write a book in which a character's mother dies directly after his birth

so you killed your mom ?

No, it was some drunk nigger orderly

Not necessary these days, this will reduce sales.