>almost fail real analysis I
tfw destined to be an engie forever

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IsCUlZahQMc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Let this thread die
Do not respond to it

No. Fuck you.

I wanna hear about the 'final boss' of math courses. I remember back when people were like "calculus, yeah good luck with that lul." I passed all of them, straight A's. Diff EQ's, so on and so forth to where I am now (coming up on abstract algebra and then analysis)... I don't appreciate getting 'advice' from normies and brainlets on how difficult math courses will be. So OP, what was it like? Care to post problems?

>'final boss'
No such thing. Math is easy and fun when you learn what professors ask of you.

OP here.

The notation is bloated and confusing.

I couldnt figure out what type of proof to use on the tests in time to finish them.

Prof always put a ridiculous question on the test.

I just have trouble going from words and general theory problems to figuring out which direction to proceed.

I did fine on proofs in the calculus and de courses. Even did some in mechanics and thermo. But real analysis pooped on me.

Math classes aren't hard or easy by definition. If you enjoy math and the topic involved then doing homework and studying should be reasonable enough. Difficulty is determined more by the professor than the topic. That being said, real analysis is very often considered the weed out course for many universities, probably due to increased interest from other majors besides math like physics or even economics.

>The notation is bloated and confusing.
f(x), g(x), epsilon, and delta is too much for you?

>I'm destinied to have money and to be able to support myself

Oh now what a fate

>tfw took Real analysis I on my third semester because "lol I've got the minimal preregs for it, might as well"

Still get PTSD when L^p spaces are mentioned

What is that? Real analysis for babies?

mein nigger

this is first/at worst second semester in germany or russia

idk how burger math/physics/compsci majors don't start proof based courses until later semesters

This is only a problem because you're used to brainlet books like Stewart that universities use for all of their freshman/sophomore math courses because physics and engineering brainlets take those classes, too. I suggest you go back to the beginning and use a book like Tom Apostol's calculus to get you used to real mathematics.

It really sucks how the course names/content are so different everywhere. Where I live we take "Analysis I/II" during the first year. Those are the proof based baby-analysis courses, i.e. sequences, limits, differentiability, Riemann integral, series, vector calculus, etc. Basically proving all the shit you'd learn in highschool "calculus" classes.

Here's what our Real Analysis I entails:
>Real Analysis I
The content of the course:
Lp-spaces, Hölder's inequality, Minkowski's inequality, completeness of Lp-spaces
Egorov's theorem, Lusin's theorem
Convolution (approximation of Lp-functions by smooth functions)
Covering theorems
Hardy-Littlewood maximal function
Lebesgue's differentiation theorem
Functions of bounded variation
Absolutely continuous functions

If you guys really take that shit during the first year, I'll just go and off myself. It's a grad level course here.

>tfw destined to actually be employed
ftfy

>hasn't taken analysis or algebra
>calls us normies
ok bud

Final boss? Real analysis is like the Raditz of upper level math courses. If you can't get pass this gatekeeper then maybe you're the normie/brainlet desu.

You can't be serious.
You're telling me there's MATH majors in 4th semester who haven't done the stuff you listed? No lp spaces? No fucking completeness? No measure theory?no lebesque? For germany I can say for sure that more than half of that list will be done in the first year. The rest will be covered in the 3rd semester (analysis 3).

How will you ever be able to do any mathematical research if you're not given the proper tools in undergrad? How do you even learn to write good proofs? That skill takes time to develop, if you don't start writing proper, rigorous proofs as a freshman it will hold you back so much later.

you can hear peter sarnak talk about differences in educational systems (us vs europe) here

youtube.com/watch?v=IsCUlZahQMc

its a good interview

basically US students don't learn a lot of what they're supposed to learn til graduate school/late undergrad. us undergraduate is a lot broader and less focused

I'm not a math major, but I got my undergrad in engineering with a minor in math. I wanted to take plenty of more specialized courses, but I was unable to, because my plan of study was crowded with forced electives such as English, foreign language, multiculturalism, humanities, etc. I went to a pretty good school and I believe there were something like 20-30 mandatory credits in these unrelated subjects (for reference, my degree was 128 credits total). Blame the indoctrination and multiculturalism

Gen ed is a time sucker, plus a lot of the more specialized classes I get interested in usually get cancelled due to low enrollment

I just failed my measure theory course. Am I a brainlet Veeky Forums?