At what age did you become a serious reader?

at what age did you become a serious reader?

I'm 22 and only started reading regularly last year. is it too late for me?

Late for what? For reading? Are you developing some kind of blindness?

you're fine, but Pound isn't the most valuable of the canonized poets.

what is a serious reader? i've been reading since i was born and have progressed since. there wasn't one moment where i became a "serious reader" and there will not be.

no but he is very cute

I read a bit as a kid, but started again at 24 with LotR, GRRM, etc. 4 years later, I'm probably the most Veeky Forums person I know by quite a bit...In fact, that probably only took me 1 years. So no, it's not too late. Never to late to get serious about it because hardly anyone reads more than a book or two a year.

Eric Andre?

Kekd

Name a more fedora writer than Ezra Pound

Protip: you can't

I still don't think I'm serious.

Sure, I read classic and literary works. But I'm just some asshole who reads to fill the empty hours of my day. I'm not writing critiques or even having serious discussions. I'm just a mindless consumer.

As with Nietzsche, there are fedora readers and good readers. Pound was not a bad poet.

You?

My parents would pass me piles of books on car rides

his work in Blast! are the shittiest pieces i've read from a published poet outside of legendary doggerel of 'A Tragedy' or Mina Loy's "Lunar Beadecker"

>shittiest pieces i've read from a published poet

Such hyperbole. Just have a look through Milk & Honey next time you're at a bookstore.

I was a Heroin addict from 16 to 22, and I started reading seriously right after I got clean. It's kept me sober and has become my new addiction. That was almost 4 years and 200 books ago. Much happier now.

I didn't get into literature until age 20. I doubt it's too late for you.

I never willingly read anything growing up other than captain underpants, hank the cowdog, and the harry potters. It wasn't until I was 22 and living in a hammock and malt liquoring myself to sleep every night that I thought books would be a good way to spend some time. Right now i'm 26 years old, finishing my second semester of college with perfect scores in one class and As in the rest, and there isn't a professor i've had yet that I haven't impressed. No it's not too late. It's good to get some life experience outside of books too. In fact, those opportunities come and go while books will still be there.

Some of Pound's stuff in Blast! is legit worse.

No, it's not too late for you. People pick up and master new skills even in their late midlives. It is a matter of diligence, intellect, and what you personally want to get out of it.

we don't speak of such filth here.

define serious reader.

I would read my departed dad's Time Life books about airplanes for hours at ages 6-11. Mostly looking at pictures and shorter sidebars, but occasionally a whole chapter as I got older. Lindbergh, Alaskan bush pilots, Amelia and Noonan, Howard Hughes, the Wright brothers. All familiar. And the basic bitch shit at the school library, of course.

I started reading novels around 12. Stephen King, Larry Niven, Ursula LeGuin, Tolkien. Lots of other no-name shit that was terrible but I didn't know better.

I started reading The Greeks with an aim to self-improvement maybe 10 years ago.

I'm up to post-modernism. It's shit, mostly.

Sorry, I rambled. I'm mid-30s. Point is: me at 22 was a tard. Almost every 22 year old I've met is a tard. It's not too late. Veeky Forums is actually a pretty good place to be if you want good book recommendations. If you aren't an absolutely shit reader (ie, not stumbling and slow when reading aloud), you'll be fine.

But don't worry about your age. If you've got a good brain, you'll be fine.

no. you have a lifetime of pleasure ahead of you, no point rushing it.

The only good thing Pound did was Cathay

i became a serious reader around the age of five or six.