So if I've read the 20th century meme trilogy and the 19th century meme trilogy, what is the 18th century meme trilogy?

So if I've read the 20th century meme trilogy and the 19th century meme trilogy, what is the 18th century meme trilogy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sAwLl5FW6Bw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Jacques le Fataliste et son maître
>Candide
>Julie, ou la Nouvelle Héloïse

Those three books aren't memes though, they're literary masterpieces unlike trash like Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest.

Tristram Shandy
Sorrows of Young Werther
Justine

Fucking thank you for recommending Tristram Shandy, it's so under-mentioned on Veeky Forums.

One of the others should be either Clarissa or Gulliver's Travels though.

Why are GR and IJ trash? Explain, user.

Take a Werther for Moby Dick.
And if you're criticizing Shandy, give me your address.
I see it mentioned every day. And both good choices there lad.

Justine is unironically one of my favorite books ever.

>Covers quite a few fetishes of mine
>More and more deprived as it goes on
>Fun satire of the common heroines of the time
>I once in a while agreed with the various libertine and villain monologues and speeches

I smiled almost the entire time I read it

Shandy, Ramaeu's Nephew, Wilhelm Meister (Lehrjahr). Also, Tom Jones and Moll Flanders rate strong looks. If we're talking meme, however, Robinson Cruesoe's perhaps unavoidable.

I dunno, all I know is this is the meme of memes.

>20th century meme trilogy
lemme guess the stranger, the ulysses and infinite jest?

For 17th century meme trilogy, I'm nominating

Pilgrim's Progress
Don Quixote
Paradise Lost

>Robinson Crusoe
thisss

I thought it was funny too

Faust
Robinson Crusoe
120 days of sodom

>Gravity's Rainbow
>trash
wew lad, you ought to explain yourself on why do you hold such a pleb opinion

Gulliver's Travels
Robinson Crusoe
Tristeam Shandy

Castle of Otranto
Caleb Williams
Pamela

I'm amazed. Absolutely every title in this thread is well worth reading. And I've read them all save Jacques and Pamela- both of which must be good because Rameau is fantastic and Clarissa (recommended to me by a Pound scholar) unparalleled. I want to die. The 21st c. sucks balls.

>Werther
>19th Century

Check your dates senpai

>The Sorrows of Young Werther is an epistolary, loosely autobiographical novel by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, first published in 1774

Oh fuck me; I saw the picture and assumed we were talking about 19th century memes. That's what I get for not reading the post (ironic, I know). Sorry

op axed for 18th century shit, read again brah

Back to /r9k/ you go

>19th century related

You literally can't be this new.

Oh wow, he actually fell for the memes

Moby Dick should stay included since it lends the other two real memes an ironic appearance of credibility like Ulysses does

>Lovelace, however, proves himself to be an untrustworthy rake whose vague promises of marriage are accompanied by unwelcome and increasingly brutal sexual advances. And yet, Clarissa finds his charm alluring, her scrupulous sense of virtue tinged with unconfessed desire.
Is Clarissa the 50 Shades of Grey of the 18th century?

this fucking picture hurts me so much every time

This is from the 17th century. I'm about halfway through and it's top-tier.

>19th century meme trilogy
>no dostoyevsky
like are you even trying

Marquis de Sade; Voltaire, Richardson

>Wilhelm Meister
does not belong to a meme trilogy. only werther.
meister happened after backlash against werther and goethe thinking "maybe the germs arent ready for real art yet, better give them something simple and didactic". fuck wilhelm meister.

Didactic? Werther too was didactic in the sense that it taught a generation of soft young men to kill themselves, which I suggest (you) do too, shitstain..

But really. I think youre right. Lehrjahr's not meme tier, Werther is. Still Goethe's quality is consistent and both Meisters are very good semi-autobiographical fictions.

> putting James and Eliot anywhere near Melville

gas yourself and leave this board

a catalogue of /r9k/ posts, basically

its trash

wasn't werther insanely popular at the time of its publication, though? i mean, even napoleon supposedly carried it around with him.

>implying anyone on /r9k/ has any Latin ability, much less a mastery of the language

>vintage meme Veeky Forums

PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN PIERS PLOWMAN

>unlike trash like Gravity's Rainbow

you poured what in your cup?

14th century trilogy would be that, The Divine Comedy, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

This description makes me wanna read the book tbqh. Anything I need to read beforehand to understand it?

youtu.be/sAwLl5FW6Bw

Will she ever be the same?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^hi!

>ywn
>mfw
>kms
>iad

it was what plebs call a success but behavior of the fanbase and backlash from critics made goethe change his mind about receptivity of audience.

Alright, quality thread boys. Here's the official list

I've categorized them by their importance in:

Prose - Movement towards the Absolute - Milieu

lol

GR really isn't as great as this board makes it out to be.

Wow the 20th century sucks

Moll Flanders

I'd avoid all European and pseudo-European novelists like Henry James. Russia and Melville gave birth to the novel in its significant form. Start from there, don't look back.

19th century, no pride and prejudice or transcendentalism

It's not about reading famous books, it's about understanding the century itself

Why must we destroy everything that we love?

Because "we" are made up of women and book hating thugs from /pol/ and frogs from /r9k/

Meme Trilogy: Reloaded

who the fuck wants to read transcendentalist garbage?

i still think meme trilogies should be all anglo, just for the convenience of it all. translations are their own meme anyways

>Russia
>Not European

Replace 2666 with The Tunnel