So, I've always been fascinated in con artists and the like...

So, I've always been fascinated in con artists and the like. This goes back years to when I first started to learn about conspiracy theories. One thing that I've always been confused about are the con artists who believe their own game.

So, take Alex Jones for instance. I don't think he doesn't believe what he says, on the contrary, I think he believes every word that he says. It's his web store that brings him to mind, and how a great amount of his products are obviously preying on people who are far worse off than he is when it comes to critical thinking skills. Other examples are televangelists, prosperity gospel preachers, etc. People who BELIEVE in their product, but still engage in very obvious con artistry.

And that brings me to my question. Are there any books about the psychology of con artists, especially of the type that I've mentioned? I'm not interested in learning tricks, or reading autobiographies, I want to know more about the subject as a whole.

>Alex Jones
>con artist
Alex Jones is one of the greatest philosophers of our time, and will be remembered long after we are dead.
>A humble water filter salesman born in Florence, Italy, he devoted his life to uncovering the mysterious forces that drive society. Although mostly eschewed by the people of his time, his works have since been recognized for the masterpieces they are, and are now taught in college classrooms across the country.

I recall reading an article that said that compulsive liars will eventually believe their own lies.
The guess was that to avoid stress, detection and extra work, the brain starts handling the situation more efficiently.

Zizek talks about this, he calls it "Fetishist Disavowal". He characterizes it as "I know very well, but...", a tendency to compartmentalize part of your knowledge and behave as if it wasn't so.

It's also related to "Belief through another", that is that no one believes sincerely, but believes because they know someone else who believes the same thing. This is key to 'gas lighting', if you can isolate someone and convince them that they're the wrong, they'll start taking on false beliefs.

Jones has been proven right on practically everything. Don't believe reddit and colbert, letting do you really want to let the lowest common denominator shape your entire belief system?

You guys should check out his divorce trial proceedings. He is claiming that he is a performance artist and doesn't actually believe the content of his show.

not an intelligent post

is he mentioning this on his show? assume he'll say 'I was just saying that...moving on...is Hilary an interdimensional child molester?'

>He loves his kids to the point of throwing his honor in the mud to get them
Are you jealous of his kids?

>>He loves his kids to the point of throwing his honor in the mud to get them
>Are you jealous of his kids?

He isn't throwing his honor in the mud, but rather his credibility. He either believes the content of his shows, or he doesn't. He's confused that point now.

I'm guessing he does believe the content of his shows, but is just perjuring himself in court to maintain custody. It's desperate and pathetic. I sincerely hope his wife gets custody and keeps his children far away. He's a nutjob.

go to bed, Stephen

When you grow up and have kids of your own, you will understand how you'll do everything to keep them. I don't even know the person in question or use his media, but that kind of arguments are childish and have no place in Veeky Forums.

>I don't even know the person in question or use his media, but that kind of arguments are childish and have no place in Veeky Forums.

Believe me, I'm all for parents keeping their kids, but since you apparently don't know who Alex Jones is, understand that he is an exception.

He is a paranoid, delusional, conspiracy theory nutjob. His wife claims he is abusive, and given his conduct on his talk show, I really don't doubt this. Their mental welfare is at stake. Imagine being raised within a cult that taught you left is right and up is down, that well known facts and events are government hoaxes. It's very much in the children's best interest he not be around them to fill their minds with nonsense.

Not to mention that they aren't vaccinated due to his beliefs. I've heard that their mother isn't much better, though. I feel for those kids, they don't deserve this shit.

>He is claiming that he is a performance artist and doesn't actually believe the content of his show.

what person with an education beyond high school believes the content of his show? it's fucking conspiracy comedy, pizzagate was one of the dumbest conspiracy theories ever

>that well known (((facts))) and (((events))) are government hoaxes
first you say he's a persona, then you say he's brainwashing his kids. Why would he let his professional life intrude on his personal life?

Jesus christ you guys are fucking retarded.

Actually check out his divorce trial proceedings, he said he forgot the grades his children were in because of a hot bowl of Chili

>Why would he let his professional life intrude on his personal life?

Hey, welcome to the central question that's at the heart of the thread.

See the problem with that is that psychologists are con artist who believe their own cons.

L. Ron Hubbard? I thought you were dead.

Did he say where he got the chili? I gotta try this stuff, sounds like the food of the gods to make you forget your own kids.