ITT - Pleb Filters

ITT - Pleb Filters

>must read

>pleb filters
>posts high-school freshman summer reading

Only a pleb with all of its plebby """thoughts""" would disregard the Catcher in the Rye as a pleb book.
>b-b-but high school
Be gone.

The book does serve as a pleb filter in one way. You can generally dismiss the angsty faggot who gushes over it. And a trip code in multiple threads serves the same purpose.

There are no angst faggots that gush over the Catcher in the Rye. There are only angst faggots that obsess over imaginary people that gush over the Catcher in the Rye. Salinger is, however, a talented writer and the Catcher in the Rye is a very well written work of fiction--that's only up for debate if you're spending your life as a mere contrarian pseud, a shit-poster with no real opinions of his own.

So it is a pleb-filter, actually: it filters out the plebs that dismiss it out of a culturally inherited bias against it.

To an extent, The Great Gatsby as well.

Agreed.

Not an argument.

read franny & zooey

I love F&Z so fucking much

Salinger, J. D. By far one of the finest artists in recent years. - Vladimir Nabokov

>pleb filter
>posts one of the most overrated books of all time

>uses words like "overrated"
You know which you are.

is there any legitimate argument against this book other than "i didn't like the character in this character study" and "there wasn't enough of a narrative in this character study" both?

What are the actual criticisms of TCitR?

I only ever hear:

>Ugh, Holden is so unlikable, he complains too much!

It's a pleb filter in the way that when people say that book ranks among their favourites, you know he's a pleb.

the main argument I see is that some people think its more boring than a real slice of life day

but that's ridiculous because it's about how we perceive Holden's outlook on life and whether we relate or sympathize (you should be doing one, in subsequent reads your view may change as well) with him based on these occurrences.

It's one of my favorites and I think OP posted it as a pleb filter book in the sense that only retards can't understand it.

I just finished it. What do you think about Salingers shift on opinion regarding "phonyness?" I feel like Catcher was so ripe with grave criticism against egomania but in Franny and Zooey he seemed, presumably, appreciative of humanity and religion and all that. Is Salinger a hypocrite phony himself?

holden isn't salinger

If Salinger doesn't hold the beliefs that Holden does, then what is the point of the criticism? I mean, he wrote the book so Holden must emulate his feelings in some sort of manner.

Holden is a sad teenager. There's no reason to assume his feelings align or were meant to align with Salinger's.

i tried so much to love that book. Maybe i should read it again?

It's boring for the generations raised on tv and video games, maybe.

Hahaha holy shit

more just bad readers. it's not even a dense book, you could easily read it in an afternoon.

but most people fucking suck at reading for some reason so for them it's an ordeal.

>goddamn goddamn goddamn goddamn
>I really was. He really is. It really did.
>goddamn goddamn
Im reading this for the first time and finding it cringeworthy tbqh but I'll stick with it, it's not very long at least.

>best fantasy book I've ever read ever dude seriously

This

Ironically, I didn't really get Catcher that much until I got screwed into dropping out of college.

Nice work.

Austen as pleb filter for men.
Hemingway as pleb filter for women.

This. It's good to see someone else whose favorite book is contemporary. Wise Man's Fear was incredible

You have to go back

Yeah, this and his short stories are better.