That kid who said learning algebra was useless

>That kid who said learning algebra was useless
>mfw he was right all along

Everything you learn is useless until you do something useful.

Why doesn't high school teach useful life skills like doing taxes or starting a business? 99% of people never use algebra outside education.

algebra is mindless variable bruteforcing
it shouldn't even belong to math, just like statistics

Because shithead normies like you are good at misunderstanding the reason. You don't learn algebra for algebra in high school, it's not about how to solve linear equations or a polynomial cause it has very little applications in real life.

It for starters, it's about teaching you a way of thinking and problem solving, which will help you more in real life than a 5 minute explanation of how taxes work. You don't have to pay taxes to really understand them, you could watch a quick youtube video about it and be done, in high school. Polynomials and analytic geometry requires teaching and doing exercises and exams to understand in high school. The way the school system is designed also plays a role. They assume that every high schooler is too young to choose career path, and at one point might want to be a musician while at the end of highschool might want to study engineering. If math wasn't mandatory then that person would've wasted 3 years in highschool and has to take algebra classes before going into university, which would suck for them.
I get what you mean that they should learn taxes etc, but honestly they aren't hard concepts and requires a few sentences and the theory behind them are taught in civics classes. Algebra isn't widely used outside education, yes, but some places do use it, and if it wasn't mandatory you wouldn't have the choice of studying it further in education where it's required, which would suck for you, and learning it at a young age is more beneficial. So, there you have it.

keep saying that when i rule the world using CLIFFORD ALGEBRA

>When american's talk about algebra 1 and 2 they're talking about highschool maths (that they do at university) rather than abstract algebra
Really activates my neurons

b-but they're both called algebra

best answer

Good luck understanding calculus without understanding algebra first.

Unless you were saying that you didn't need to learn algebra because you haven't used it in your adult life. In which case I'd ask if you used any of your high school knowledge in your day to day life

>In which case I'd ask if you used any of your high school knowledge in your day to day life
I'm a welder so I use what I learned in metalworking almost every day

>proceeds to disrupt discipline in class

civics and careers but it's like one course and it's easy af
They should totally teach you about things like taxes in more depth
basically how not to fuck up your life

>algebra was useless
to quote my elderly chinese calc teacher: WHO CARE???

the point of learning basic math isn't because there will always be some practical situation where you need to apply the specific methods you learned in math class. the point is to teach your brain how to think logically.

you -can- go study it more in-depth and then go on to have a career that regularly uses it, but learning basic math like algebra is something all students should do in order for them to become less stupid in general.

Sounds good in principle but for the most part high school math classes do not teach you to think logically.

>absurdly long and pointless response
>defending high school level math
>anime thumbnail

why is this board so autistic

>what is cryptography

agreed This is why Stem majors should be forced to learn History at a higher level.

Not really, learning algebra is middle school tier.

Go ahead and major in some humanities bullshit and tell me how useless algebra was when you are waiting my tables and I am making 6 figures.

larping undergrad weeboos everywhere, that's why

Institutionalised eugenics to differentiate between the high IQ from the brainlets

>Basic algebra seperates high IQ from brainlets
You'd like to believe that wouldn't you

yes, there is no point for learning algebra for 99% kids in high school
but the same is true for any other subject, so the problem is not with algebra