Is physics the best major

I was originally planning on majoring in geology, but when you think about it, physics:

>Is the language of the universe
>Is useful for pretty much any STEM job
>Would allow you to pursue a PhD in pretty much any STEM field
>Is among the highest-paid degrees

I know it's one of the hardest degrees, but what else should I know before switching from geology?

Pic unrelated

Get ready to be working your ass off. This requires lots of patience and hard work. Not like in HS

>Is the language of the universe
No it's not, physics is just a set of models made by some apes trying to explain what the universe is

It's one of the worst degrees, along with every other pure science degree in existence, if you want to work in that field anyway. The highly-paid stem grads are simply people who went to do something unrelated to their scientific field and make big bucks. You don't need physics for that.

>>Would allow you to pursue a PhD in pretty much any STEM field
Where are you getting this shit from. No it wouldn't.

Just do engineering which gives you options to do relevant work for good pay and if you want to do something unrelated, you can do that as well.

It's biology.

>not useful for any STEM job
>will not get you into any graduate program
>working in the field => shit pay

I wouldn’t recommend Physics if you’re looking for a more general degree that you can go multiple routes with and get a good pay. It’s just not worth the trouble to be completely honest. Just do an engineering degree.

I’m in my 4th year (double in Physics and Applied Math), will end up needing 5 to complete my undergrad, and honestly would have probably dropped out and killed myself if I wasn’t genuinely interested in living a meme life and doing research. Like, I’ve literally abandoned any form of a social life. My only friends are the other Physics guys who also spend hours on end in the computer lab every day to crank out autistic levels of work. And I do say guys because there is literally only one female in the Physics department. And she’s disgusting.

Moral of the story: if you don’t genuinely want to study Physics, it’s a bad fucking idea to major in it.

I picked up a CS minor because pure physics prospects are a joke in industry

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to stick with my original geology plans

What field you're into?

>I picked up a CS minor

That's so fucking retarded. A minor will be 6 courses which for CS will be the entry level stuff:
>Baby Java Programming
>Baby Java Data Structures and Algorithms
>Discrete Mathematics with Duck (because real math courses are scary)
>Discrete Probability (because business majors will bully the cs kiddies in business stats and cs kidies can't into stats with multivarible calculus that the stem majors take)
>System Programming (because the slow kiddies need a whole course to learn C and unix system calls)
>Algorithms Design / Numerical Methods (because the math department's analysis course is too hard)

I wouldn't hire anyone who wasted 6 semesters on that shit.

Geology, but I may major in Geophysics because that is an option at this school.

Either way, I'm going to have to go to graduate school.

what about the opposite (minor in physics) that's what I'm doing

As a science graduate I can tell you. All my friends who majored in Physics are essentially jobless. One is working in a computer repair store, another is working for a company in online sales. Granted these are the guys who haven't moved on to graduate school yet but I can't see where they'll go from there anyway.

If you do get a job in physics I guess you can make a lot of money. Don't know where those are.

I'm also considering that

...but all is number and consciousness, senpi.

what courses you even get in a physics minor

>no quantum
>no stat mech
>no solid state

Seems like a meme

Yeah it seems kinda fucked.
I may end up doing a CS minor. I probably won't learn that much, but I feel like having any kind of degree in CS is better than nothing

That particular one is fucked but I doubt you go to that particular university and some also offer a fifth year to get a second BS in your minor so I'd at least check in to that.

I was a complete slacker in high school, so yeah, I do actually go to that university. Pretty unfortunate considering I'm not actually a complete idiot despite initial impressions.

The four-year graduation rate here is like 60% so that's probably not the best option for me.

If you want purity, go into mathematics. If you want zen, go into physics .

Quantum is part of modern. This is standard core reqs for a physics major. What OP isn't showing is the physics electives which include solid state, etc as options.

I want zen, but honestly I think based on everything that's been said in this thread, the best choice would be to major in another kind of STEM and watch some Nova doccus on physics like every other pleb

Quantum is a whole course, you cant just put it in another course without being shallow

if you go into R & D that is a massive shit
and i mean that's the coolest thing in the whole world

there was a really good list i found on google of jobs in every physics field, but my current google keeps bringing up jobs only in my city

Thus tbqhfam

look at me, I'm very smart

this so much. I'm in my 4th year aswell and even though I LOVE physics I'm fed up. I just want to finish my degree already.

DO NOT study physics if you're not absolutely sure about it. Even then, it will be hard.

I graduated geology and I'm jobless. It might depend on your country, but my professors told me that this is very common with geology.
I know some guys who got their phds, but nobody wants them cause they have no work experience.

>thinks counting valence electrons is quantum
>ahahahahahh

I'm about to graduate with a BS in Physics, and I don't know what to do.

Should I go to grad school? Or look for a job?

I'm not interested in going to academia, I want to go to the industry and make as much money as I can.

Should I just go straight to the workforce, get raises through the years? Or go for the phd/masters and get a better starting salary?

What jobs can I do? Data Analysis? Engineering?

Help.

geologists are the hippy outdoorsmen of STEM. if you want to have a job where you are perpetually camping/hiking, then be a geologist.

nginearin' is ded gud degre

I'm also minoring in math.

He is kind of right.
I'm a physics major.
I have no fucking idea what to do after I graduate.

People don't hire physics majors for CS or Engineering jobs. They would just hire someone that actually studied that.

Come chill in the chillest stem major my lad. Exploration is exploding up here in Canada and everyone is going to make a lot of money this year. Hopefully by the time you graduate the market is as good. Unless you want to go into petrol but that's a different kind of autsim and honestly really boring to most people plus a masters is required for a lot of that so dont fuck up your first few years. Hydros cool but the jobs are limited. See ya in the bush!

>>Is the language of the universe
Wrong, math is the language of the universe. Physics is the case n=3.
>Is useful for pretty much any STEM job
Wrong, the only STEM degree useful for all STEM jobs is a math degree with a solid track of applied math courses that should go over programming, algorithms, and simulations.
>Would allow you to pursue a Ph.D. in pretty much any STEM field
Wrong. The only degree that would allow you to do this is perhaps a full applied math degree.
>Is among the highest-paid degrees
Nope. Both payscale and various other surveys record that mathematicians earn more.

I am not saying physics sucks. I am just saying that you are second in the food chain.