Grothendieck or Von Neumann

both were some of the greatest mathematical geniuses of all time

but both had different mathematical skills. Von Neumann was always about the technical, the exact, getting the details right....essentially a concrete thinker

Grothendieck didn't care about that, he was always about the abstract, the bigger picture

what set of mathematical talent would you rather have, what do you find more impressive?

One that doesn't involve going to live in the middle of nowhere like a retard.

They are both impressive to me; but I'd have to go with Von Neumann. I mean the guy fucking came up with his best ideas in his parlor with TV at full blast.

hmmmm

Grothendieck was arguably the most influential mathematician of the 20th century

Von Neumann was a genius though

hard to say

i dont see the difference?

antyone else?

rfff

lame no one has repsonded

Neumann is overrated. Grothendieck only did crap with no real world applications. Edward "Big Head" Witten is the great thinker of our time.

>Ed Witten
>String Theory
>Real World Application

you're retarded

Poincare

he's even worse than a jew, he is (may Allah forgive me for uttering this word) a physicist.

Von Neumann often lied about shit like that because he liked to impress people. Like the story of the problem with the fly where he said he just summed the geometric series - that was a lie, he had actually seen the problem before. The same with memorising a whole book - he memorised the start of the first chapter and recited that if anyone asked.

Von Neumann because he found Christ.

Isn’t there room for both formalists, like Johnny, and intuitionists, like Grothendieck? Look at the success of Leonhard Euler with his, now considered, highly unconventional mathematics.

not to mention the whole "von neumann architecture" thing was actually done by two of his contemporaries, eckert and mauchly. he just wrote up the report and got the credit.

>hehe meme theory XD

Grothendieck was an intuitionist? All that amazing stuff he did and he chose the brainlet philosophy?

lmao

kek

keked

so the one that involves becoming catholic on your death bed despite being agnostic/atheistic for the entirety of your life because you're a major pussy and afraid of death

you'll do the same, pussy.

jokes on you I've been religious all my life

Proof?

Grothendieck was a genius, von nazimann was dumb, and probably an engineer as well

>was dumb, and probably an engineer
That's a tautology

obviously Grothendieck. he literally changed the way people think about math, forever

Grothendieck was better but people harping on Von neumann In here is weak

no he didn't. he didn't invent category theory let alone replaced set theory.

Anything recommendation for reading Grotehndieck?

I'm not there yet but I've been told not to read his work directly. It would be best to read what others have written about his work. The reason being, it's a dense and a tough read for the uninitiated reader

>professors defending the existence of their jobs
what else is new

who said anything about category theory? if you work in number theory or algebraic geometry (including anything langlands) then the foundation of your field is due to Grothendieck, period.

Didn't get that from a Professor. Saw a post on mathoverflow. The guy who said it was a grad student at Harvard, if I remember correctly. Said that's how he learned

I've been telling y'all for months that Harvard is a joke.

Did Von neumann do anything original?

construction of natural numbers?

I think Von Neumann's mind was essentially a highway in which ideas and thoughts could be processed quicker than most. He also fucked his wife and made absolute bank.

Von Neumann was also the originator of mathematical game theory

yep he worked on teleportation and time travel on the montauk project.

read his wiki... his bio is basicly fully redacted after the mid 40's.. and bomb stuff is all out in the open now

what was he working on ?

why did this thread get saged ?

I LOVE JOHNNY V