Is "study what you enjoy" a meme?

I study Computer Science and I find it a chore. I don't enjoy mathematics because I find them dry and since I am what you call a "brainlet" focusing on understanding abstract concepts doesn't come easily to me. It was tolerable in school when it was all about memorizing formulae and getting a numeric result but now in university it's all about proving stuff and letters which requires gapless knowledge of mathematics and creativity. The computer science lectures were easy at first as they were more about memorizing stuff but now they are basically math lectures too. I found early programming exercises kinda fun but once they became more like what you would actually do at work they became a chore.

The problem is that all the alternatives are worse. Since I am clumsy, weak and an introvert I don't think a trade would be the right thing for me. And anything I am actually interested in has terrible job prospects.

Am I being whiny? Is what I feel pretty normal? I don't interact with anyone in my class so I don't know.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DFjTD8v7xuw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Welcome to IT

Ironic. IT is a vastly greater degree than CE, Bio, Geo, and Chem, since there are actually jobs available for it.

If I were you I'd probably finish my degree first and not worry about what happens after.

>thinks university is job training

lel

You realize you don't need to work in the same field you get your degree in? Get a useful degree in case you, you know, actually use it. There's no obligation to continue with Comp Sci afterwards, though.

>You realize you don't need to work in the same field you get your degree in?

Doesn't it have to be similar though? Like I doubt you can be a neuroscientist with a computer science degree.

You would just need additional education for that specific job. Most technical jobs are just looking for educated people with some experience, so if you can stretch whatever you've done to fit what employers are looking for then you can go for any job you please.

Also, if your goal is to start your own business, your not beholden to anything. You'll have many decades of your life left after you graduate; it's not fixed by what you choose in this four year span.

Damn, I'm here reading 700-page books droning about IT and this snuffed out what little motivation I had left.

>reposting some guy's shitpost as an unironic official list

why did you even bother trying to start with IT?

Wasn't really my first choice, but I figured it wouldn't be too hard for a person too unintelligent for real STEM. I'm pretty sure it is, only I'm even dumber and lazier than I thought.

the internships you get during university are the job training

Look at the filename, this is the same guy

>Physics
>hates rigor
So as the IQ goes up, the more you hate proofs huh

Not that user but while you can't be a neuroscientist with a cs degree alone you can certainly get a job within to the field with said degree.

Yes I went into medicine and now I hate each waking minute of my life.

Lrn2meme fgt pls

IT can be interesting user, I mean the possibilities are essentially limitless. At least you didn't get an accounting degree like I did. Fuck that shit.

Yes, see Cal Newport's book. Here's a summary: youtube.com/watch?v=DFjTD8v7xuw

There are two kinds of mathematicians. Ones who actually like proofs, and ones who liked high school math and want to be teachers. The second brings down the IQ so buzz off.

A theoretical physicist at my uni does research in theoretical neuroscience

Brainlet here. What is "SE", it sound good?

Software engineering.

>pronouncing the plural of lego as "legos"
Brainlet

It isn't a meme if you don't care to enter a specific career path and if you're not going into 30k+ of debt for your degree. If you just want a job, earning a college degree just makes it easier to get a job that isn't menial labor. If you want more money, you'll have to bust your ass there to earn the same amount of money that you otherwise would having a CS degree-- but you're at a much better starting point with a degree in English/History/etc than without it altogether, even if you aren't making 50k+ to start. If you're getting enough funding, absolutely miserable studying CS and young enough to allow time for growth in your career, I would consider the idea.

legii

Im and undergrad CS and do "research" with a PI in the neuroscience school, although what he does is more behavioral/mental disorders and treatment oriented. Essentially I'm the equivalent of a contractor pitching in ideas without the background necessary for scientifically proving them, so not a true researcher. I just got really lucky with a PI that sees my input as useful and valid to his end goal.

>can't get internships because no 3.5+ gpa
What now ;_;

Sure, that guy is an idiot, but the rest of the team is a bunch of idiots too

>geo
>no jobs
lel

where are you that there are geo jobs?

Proofs are for brainlets, computers can make them