Recent purchases

Been looking for over a year and today I finally found a mcelroy in the wild. What have you lads recently purchased? Anyone ever read mcelroy?

Is Barth actually good or a meme?

Reminder than Women and Men is being released in about two months. You can preorder it on The Book Depository.

Barth is great. What would make you think hes a meme? People dont meme him. Im excited for women and men. Once I read smugglers all that is left is hinds kidnap and women and meme.

I also bought a new penguin classic of Confession by St. Augustine

>tfw just finished moving and all my books are extremely unsorted

Not smart enough for mcelroy senpai

I guess you can preorder it at target now too lol.

Other than that and the Book Depository page, I have yet to see any sort of announcement for it. Was there one?

BD also has a pic for it now... maybe I'm stupid for even says this (and it's just a stock image I've never seen) but I really hope this isn't the cover. Actually, it probably isn't.

Thats a dope cover

i misread it as

WOMEN
ARE MEN

What's some good entry point McElroy to read in the meantime? or should i not buy it at all? surely it'd be a big honking Veeky Forums label

Patrician af

Grab ancient history. Pulse pounding shit mixed with a deep character study of the protagonist and norman mailer.

Women are Men you bigot

He'd actually really good. He doesn't write like anyone else (mostly a good thing, but occasionally you feel the sentences strain a bit too much).

Night Soul and Other Stories is probably the best place to jump in. The Letter Left to Me is his shortest, but it's not that great. Not *bad,* just not great. After those stories, maybe Bible. But there's a lot of influence from The Recognitions in there, and I'd say it's more fulfilling if you've read it before going into SB. Not going to ruin your experience, but it make it more fun.

Great job on the Barth OP. You're holding my favourite novel of all time in The Sot-Weed Factor. It easily eclipses 'Catch 22', 'Confederacy of Dunces', and lots of other "funny" books I've read in terms of humor. I'm glad the frequency of Barthposts is up

Not a meme, wonderful. Maybe meme-able in the same sense that Pynchon is; he's genuinely talented, but isn't afraid to include some preposterous events.

Reading Smuggler's Bible and V. after The Recognitions was the best choice in reading order i ever made desu

Have you read Hawkes before? Second Skin would be an odd place to start with him.

>James Joyce - Dubliners
>Jorge Luis Borges - Historia de la Eternidad, Ficciones, El Aleph
Both in portuguese (BR).

The second one is kinda weird. Its like they printed ficciones and aleph later and anexed it to the original book. The font is different, and the pages from the first part look older.

Im divided between one of those two and Moby Dick for my next reading.

Pic related.

Its a fucking author you pussy you can start where ever you want. Im not sme little bitch that needs a smooth easy entrance to an author like waaaaahhhhh what should I read before I read this book cuz im a giant faggot and need my hand held while someone holds my dick while I pee fucking kill yourself. I read travesty and I thought it was the bees knees.

>I'm glad the frequency of Barthposts is up
i'm not, i don't want barth to become a calling card for internet dipshits

Haven't read V. yet. Been meaning to for a long time. I'll add it to my summer list, just because The Recognitions is still relatively fresh for me. But yeah, SB after TR is a great combo.

Thanks for the tip with V.

Essas traduções da L&PM são decentes?

Sim. Nunca encontrei algo que me incomodasse, pelo menos.

None of them have arrived yet, but here's my most recent orders

Why those shit books beside based coover

I read The Sot-Weed Factor when I was a teenager, I don't remember much of the details but remember it was fucking wonderful. It may not be enough to judge him by but it's such a large book that IMO, based off of that, I'd call him a good author and not at all a meme, in fact he's somewhat underrated and not as much talked about like other postmodernists such as Pynchon, Gass, and Gaddis.

This

sup gabriel

I've read his two early novels, The Floating Opera and The End of the Road. I liked them both, but they are mostly realist novels. I've heard The Sot-Weed factor is more funny and post-modern.

public burning and elkin, nice

Not pictured: two Ibsen play collections and a book of Japanese art. 1$ and 40¢ total.

barth and mcelroy are interesting because they have a lot in common yet also have completely different "meta-approaches' despite these commonalities.

read a smuggler's bible, it's unironically one of the best books i've read by an author, and it's a first novel on par with V for it's intensity and love of craft

If you haven't read Borges before read him next. They're short stories so even if they're not your cup of tea you'll know fairly quickly.

How'd I do

>Trevor Noah
Since when did you become an autistic communist