How did Gondor manage to pay for the city repairs after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields?

How did Gondor manage to pay for the city repairs after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields?

Other urls found in this thread:

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Minas_Tirith#Fourth_Age
tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Money
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Southron Slaves.

Aragorn ran up the city debt and then paid it off with wise investments in later years.

>Aragorn was Donald Trump
Pretty good comparison actually.

So what you're saying is that Trump is a Numenorean?

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Minas_Tirith#Fourth_Age
Dorf and elf fix it.

Come to think of it, do we ever see the forces of goodness talk about money in LOTR? The books, I mean. I know the Nazgul offer to pay Farmer Maggot with gold if he'll tell them where Bag End is, but that's the only reference to money in the trilogy that immediately comes to mind.

who cares?

But what is the final solution to the Orcish question?

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Money
For LotR in particular:
>Money was mentioned in relation to the trading town of Bree. At the end of the Third Age, a pony was considered to be worth about four silver pennies. The well-to-do owner of the Prancing Pony, Barliman Butterbur, considered a loss of 30 silver pennies to be a considerable blow. A gold piece was regarded as a particularly extravagant reward for good news.

>Additionally, Bilbo is mentioned to have spent his last fifty ducats on the party in the first version of "A Long-expected Party".

>When Aragorn and the four hobbits were camped on the side of Weathertop, Sam wandered to the edge of the dell. Soon he came running back in fear and said, "I durstn't go outside this dell for any money."

Just let them in #openborders

#OpenBordersForValinor

Aragorn's great tax plan...

Aragorn's Reaganomics.

They used alchemy to transmute all the dead orcs into gold and shit. What else are they do with all those corpses?

Well I mean, really, you could just raid Mordor's vast treasure halls and probably fund the kingdom for centuries. Restock the treasury through conquest, and unlike with Rome nobody's going to care because the kingdom you conquered was evil.

George's books are quite good desu, when he adds small details like the meme OP presented it makes his writing a certain uniqueness and he has managed to write some really good and likeable characters even though he is a fat pervy liberal

When does he ever discuss expenses or 'tax policies?' The only time I can remember when something mundane like that was discussed was when there's a scene of people in Winterfell sending stonemasons to a subject castle. And I think there's a chapter where the Night Watch check their inventory.

Other than that, though, Martin's worldbuilding is just as nonsensical as any fantasy, and there aren't any 'realistic gritty details.' He has giant castles on the top of mountains you need to climb vertical ladders of stone to get to. He has entire cultures that lived off rape and pillage. He has magical catastrophes that destroyed continents. He has family lines that have remained unbroken for thousands of years and 'fortresses that have never been taken' sorts of things. None of it makes any sense and none of the logistics are ever discussed.

There is no realism in ASoIaF. I wish this meme would end.

Go to bed, George.

Thank you.

I simply adore how people praise George as the pinnacle of realism in fantasy genre. "He thought of everything, every little detail!"

Go work your books, George.

Well, he does go into some detail about how the crown of Westeros are up to their ears in debt and taking out increasingly foolish state loans from foreign banks, not to mention their own nobility. Not exactly detailed insight, but at least more thought than most fantasy gives to economic infrastructure.

Controversial stuff. Not sure I'll be able to explain it in one post but I'll try.

Orthodox though for a long time was that the cessation of Corsair raids on Pelargir meant that Gondor was able to relax the constraints and security measures it had put over its principal trading port, which in conjunction with revitalised Elvish trade from the Grey Havens let the Crown raise a new levy on imported goods (which previously wouldn't have been possible under the pre-Denethor system until it was reformed with a centralised finance authority.)

Although recently, there has been an influx of new thought that actually the opening up of the mineral rich Mordor to private interests has allowed for a massive economic boost for Gondor, especially amongst the mineral magnates of Minas Tirith. This theory would suggest the recovery and boost in revenues from the Crown that allowed the repairs to happen stemmed less from central authority but instead resulted from private investment - obviously a controversial idea with the dominance of the Dwarven Theory of Supply and Demand in scholarly thought right now.

>Hanglins private industry theory is ""controversial"""

Lmao, where did you study, Bree? Hanglins theory is widely accepted throughout Middle-Earth amongst practical buisnesshobbits. Dwarven theory exists for academic scholarcucks like you to jack off over. Come back when you actually have some experience next time

There's a bit where Tyrion taxes prostitution.

>Dwarves monopolize mining in Moria and accumulate capital
>Orcs rise up and seize the means of production
Hmm...

Immediate hyperinflation over and above what Spain caused in Europe with New World gold/silver.

They stole the hobbit's mithril shirt

Paid to whom? Gimli brought a company of dwarves from Erebor and they fixed the door the king of Angmar broke. (Gimli was loaded af after mining the glittering caves)

>headcanon

N I C E
B A I T

What are you doing, posting a cogent argument on Veeky Forums? This thread is for proclaiming your hatred for a book series you never read, calling its author a fat fuck and gleefully quoting the shitting scene.

>gleefully quoting the shitting scene.
Do it.

The straining to shit scene is a better example of terrible prose.

The thing I don't like about this is, it's clearly a debt scheme by Littlefinger, whose explanation amounts to "he's the best money-er," in the same way that fantasy characters are "the best warrior." That you mention the word "tax" doesn't make it any more detailed or realistic, because there's nothing there.

In fact, Tolkien explains the social, political, ethnic, and topographical structure of the Shire in the intro to LotR and the first part of the Fellowship in far more detail than Martin ever explains anything. Does that make Tolkien more "realistic?" Or does the 700 foot wall of ice take the cake?

What was King Robert's tax policy?

Maybe they just kept it secret and only released the treasure needed in installments to pay exactly what was needed to do something at a certain time, until it was all fixed.

>Orc rise up and seize the means of production
>Massacre and enslave literally every non-Orc while doing it
Hmm...

Well Aragorn is literally the best possible king, the culmination of the hope of all men and elves, so it's understandable that he'd be prudent.