MATH0989

>MATH0989
>remedial math
>learn about fractions
>nobody has a problem understanding it
>learn about real numbers
>nobody has a problem understanding the difference between rational and irrational numbers
>suddenly...
>-7+(-8) = -7-8
>"BRUH, HOW CAN A POSITIVE AND A NEGATIVE MAKE A NEGATIVE?"
>-7-(-8) = -7+8
>"WHAT THE FUCK, HOW CAN TWO NEGATIVES MAKE A POSITIVE?"
These bitches...

you need to be 18 or older to post on Veeky Forums

you need to be 5 or older to post on Veeky Forums

This is college, user.

I mean, to be fair most teachers are shit. It's not their fault they never learned how a number line works.

Are u in 3rd grade? Get the fuck out

I'm not sure about that - everybody that has a major in the STEM and business fields are understanding the math just fine, but the others don't get it.

No, I'm in college. I'm taking this class to refresh my memory on certain algebraic equations, since it's been 10 years since I graduated high school. I'm sure most of the people here are in a similar situation, but younger. The rest are dumbfucks.

Wow. Sorry for being an asshole. Good luck man. Also what are you majoring in?

Computer science

>The CS meme that late
Seriously consider something else.

Why not man up and admit you failed the entrance exam? Taking a "refresher" course with other people limits you to their failures.

I would think CS would be the best option for a 30 year old no?

What else would they take? Surely it's too late to get involved in any math intensive science so unless user wants a normie job like being a paramedic CS is their best bet.

Why? I love being around computers; I want to do more with them.

I shouldn't have to explain it - the course is given to you when you score too low on the placement test.

Why do people waste their time and money taking these classes? this is basic stuff that even the most innumerate retards can teach to themselves.

I took 3 years off after high school and taught myself up to college algebra level in the summer leading up to classes, so I understand the "wanting to refresh yourself" part, but stuff like arithmetic and factoring is so damn basic you don't need a teacher

Spending money on it usually provides incentives to follow through instead if passing it off because you're too tired from work.

you have no problem finding the time to post frogs on Veeky Forums

There's always time for shitposting.

>remedial math

>students are taking this class because they failed their math classes in middle school and high school
Except I did pass all of my math classes... but that was all the way back in 2000-2007. I haven't actively used math in the real world, so I ended up forgetting the majority of what I learned and ended up needing to take this class when I decided to go to college.

Or you could have just watch Khan for free.

I don't see how a Star Trek movie would help me with math.

why are you taking remedial math classes in the first place?

nevermind, reread thread.

khanacademy.com senpai

goes all the way up to calc1, his videos are amazing at explaining math in a simple and quick way

I'm just doing what I need to do in order to get me closer to earning my B.S., but I'll use your advice as a reference if I ever need help on my future classes. I don't think I'll need to learn anything more past Calculus II for my degree.

I still use skip flip flip for this shit. I learned it when I was 12 never failed me.

You had better be the professor for that class, user.

I don't see how an adult could sit in a class and learn about how to add and subtract negative numbers, and not feel ashamed.

I would have flunked them on the spot and tell them to go back to grammar school.

Comp sci typically requires calc2

I figured that much, I just didn't want to take Calculus III if I don't have to.

CS is fine

> MATH0989
>輔導數學
>了解分數
>沒有人了解它的一個問題
>了解實數
>沒有人理解有理數和無理數之間的差異問題
>忽...
> -7 +( - 8)= -7-8
>“BRUH,如何能正負做出消極的?”
> -7 - ( - 8)= -7 + 8
>“怎麼回事,怎麼能負負得正?”
這些母狗...

OP, why the FUCK would you ever start with a negative number unless you KNEW it was the remainder of the equation you were trying to BALANCE.

That wasn't the point; people somehow got confused over x+(-x) and x-(-x).

Oh, I addressed this earlier.

x+(-x)
x-(-x)

I wouldn't accept either of these notations in my class because it would provide no clarity. It is simply notation that has been abused/misused.

2+(-2) = 0
2-(-2) = 4

However maths should NEVER be written that way. It is counter-indicative of the parenthesis rule in any format.

I understand, but I guess it's just a way to get the dumbfucks here in bumfuck Atlanta to understand math.

I can truly appreciate that but maths is just about knowing how to measure, how to prioritize a glyph/sigil/numeral, and 'is 3 bigger than 2?'

Division is something that really can't occur in existence from a mathematical perspective until a circle 'exists'.

This. If you bother your advisor enough they'll let you go right to precalc

Stop fucking lying. It is literally impossible to "forget" how to add fractions and your multiplication tables. You are a borderline retard and probobly were a pothead in high school and skipped all your math classes

Rude

Right, I didn't forget how to solve fractions or multiplication, but I did forget how to solve quadratic equations and that's what failed me.

I had B averages on all of my high school math classes, based on my transcript - my lowest grade was in Geometry.

Well, you can all go and deal with the Vagus Conjecture. Enjoy, Veeky Forums.

Things like this make me feel a bit better about myself desu
...got any more?

Are you taking classes with high school dropouts or something? I'm innumerate and retarded as fuck and even I understand exactly why this happens.

You're confusing cause and effect. People who major in STEM likely spent time reflecting on things they learned in math class and building their own knowledge. It's not fair to expect all kids to do that.

But they should learn how to do that - these are the same shitheads who cannot fucking drive!

This is a blue board, nigger

read the rules and then leave bitch

Don't let these fags get you down bro, just keep studying and you'll be caught up eventually.

I thought calc 2 was the hard one though? Every one bitches about it.

I did the minimum required work and made a B. Ez class if your teacher gives partial credit.

people who bitch about calc ii didn't actually learn anything in calc i

You can forget how to solve quadratic equations easily.
Shit I forget some relatively basic math thing every other month. Couldn't even do a Taylor expansion without checking the formula this week.

OP here, the truth is that this man is trying to kill me. If I don't become smarter and fast, I stand no chance of surviving. Please, I'm desperate!

The vagus conjecture is highly relevant to my interests

Guess I didn't learn jack shit in calc1 cause fuuuck calc2.

This is 6th grade math

You are a brainlett, I need a refresh on calculus because last time I done it was 10 years ago (and I actually remember most of it thanks sci)
You dont refresh on things like 6th grade math

that's fucking horrible

>remedial math
>for any reason
LOL

Thats 7th grade math at most user

algebra is raycist

>learn about real numbers

So did your highschool teacher just teach the quadratic formula without showing you how to complete the square?
You should have actually read the text book or did your highschool not have those.

Then our interests align.
//
然後我們的利益保持一致。

Not him, but I don't remember ever learning how the quadratic formula came to be, we were just given it like magic.

this is the current state of Veeky Forums

>Step 1. Open search engine of choice.
>Step 2. Type "Open college algebra textbook".
>Step 3. Enter.
>Step 4. Pick algebra book at random.
>Step 5. Download.
>Step 6. Open.
>Step 7. Search for "quadratic formula".
>Step 8. Read.
>I like math because I don't have to read.

(cont.)
>Let me take a semester of "College Algebra" because I couldn't be fucked to use google read 2 pages.

Ironically you couldn't be bothered to read the first two words of my post.

Any other anons start from the bottom?
>started at College Algebra now in Calc 2
I will admit that I took pre cal in HS and my SAT Math score was complete ass that I had to start in College Algebra.
Just put in effort and you'll be fine OP

>ever using the quadratic formula instead of completing the square
It's useless, completing the square takes less time and is more intuitive.

Is this honestly really that bad considering this is really all a human needs to function in the middle class?

Oh wait, I take that back, only read the college algebra part