Has there ever been an author as slow and pathetic as this guy?

Has there ever been an author as slow and pathetic as this guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lXAvF9p8nmM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Joyce.

>6 (or more) years to finish a single installment of a trashy fantasy series
There's something seriously going wrong with him. My guess is he's depressed and wants to move on from the series. He's written himself in knots with his convoluted bullshit and has been outpaced by the TV adaptation anyway.

It took Pynchon 17 years to come up with Vineland

Hodor

I was going to say Pynchon too.

that hat always makes me think of this

Muira

He was obviously working on Mason and Dixon and Against the Day as well

I've watched the show and it has discouraged me from reading the books. It seems like a very standard fantasy deal with the only gimmick being that major characters are disposable and die often.

My friends tell me that the books are much better than the show, but that's not saying much. Are they actually good, Veeky Forums?

Good compared to what? Actually good literature? Then no.
Good compared to other shitty fantasy novels? Maybe, but it's still not THAT better.

I'm not into the generic fantasy premise, I might make an exception if the book is well written or has some really profound characterization. If it relies on the reader being inherently excited about dragons and undead armies, then I'll give it a pass.

>My guess is he's depressed and wants to move on from the series. He's written himself in knots with his convoluted bullshit and has been outpaced by the TV adaptation anyway.

You're correct.

He fucked himself with too many open plot lines are characters and in order to tie it all up he needs two 1000+ page books that he's not motivated to write at all.

Also he sold the story to a bunch of TV hacks and they're being incredibly successful by butchering his story. That has to demoralize the fat man from putting any effort in the books no matter what he says.

>the reader being inherently excited about dragons and undead armies, then I'll give it a pass.
read LOTR in school then got excited for the movies. when the dvds came out i watched them countless times. it left me so burned out on medieval fantasy that i wont even give the GOT tv series a watch despite being pestered by my friends about how i'll love it if i just give it a chance.

I dont even care for LOTR anymore. Since dragons and wizards and hobbits and elves and dwarfs are no longer new to me all i see is a plot that essentially boils down to endless running around to build up hype for a big battle.

Patrick Rothfuss. It shouldn't be a surprise that the sort of people who don't have the discipline to control their eating also lack discipline in other aspects of their life, including their work. Every time I hear an author talk about what it takes to succeed in writing they almost always talk about the need to set aside a few hours for nothing but writing every single day no matter what. This sounds easy but it takes real discipline to be consistent. It's not nearly enough to be creative.

i remember how he was pissed off that so many of his fans were concerned that he would die before finishing.

imagine the pressure he is under to end the series with something big and satisfying. if he feels like he is not up to the task then maybe he has reasoned that death is an attractive alternative to a disappointing ending. that way his fans can continue fantasizing about how great the ending would have been had he only had enough time to finish.

it seems as though success fucked up his rhythm. dude didnt have trouble putting words on the page until he got fame and ungodly amounts of money and a platform for throwing his two cents in on whatever the topic of the day might be. that would fuck with anyone's schedule. he's no longer writing to pay his bills. he's writing for a massive audience with high expectations. given is ability to produce in the past i would not call his work ethic into question. i think he's allowing himself to become distracted out of fear of not being able to meet expectations.

Dragons and armies aren't really a big focus, if you ask me, as far as I know, in my opinion

I watched the show and all it seems to be is sex, then midget sex, circular easternesque platitudes and guys looking around wearily and smug power women.

yea, i understand that the primary appeal of GOT is the soap-opera-tier drama but i still cant get past the medieval fantasy setting.

it's the same for me with zombies. after 28 days later, the first resident evil, and shawn of the dead if there's zombies in it then i wont even give it a chance.

It's because he's trying to out-think an entire collective, but can't ever hope to match their intelligence. Every single twist he meticulously sets up with subtle hints over his books, his fan base either figures it out well ahead of time, or they think of something much, much better.

Imagine spending your life writing, with no one taking you seriously, then you get lucky with one series and then suddenly get crushed by expectations you cannot hope to ever deliver.

Maybe you just don't like fantasy. For those who do, ASOIAF is actually quite enjoyable.

>Maybe you just don't like fantasy.
true. for the most part i dont. i was just explaining my dislike in response to someone else. i get burnt out on the repetition of themes pretty quickly.

The guy wrote pulp fantasy and science fiction for the greater part of his life, I don't think he expected to become this famous. And now he has reconcile his writing with expectations of his fans. Of course he gets a writer's block, not to mention all of the fucking money. Getting rich suddenly isn't an easy thing to handle.

He's actually not a slow writer...just has a lot to write

/thread

That's like the least of the things you could complain about this guy.

>LOTR is important and good because of dragons, wizards, hobbits, elves, and dwarves
im mad

I know that you're memein, but Joyce spent so many years on his writing because he put an ungodly amount of thought and work into it. GRRM just shitposts on twitter and only writes a couple pages every week: not because it's complex writing, but because he genuinely does not know how he's going to end the series in a satisfying way. And as he reaches closer to the end of the series, his fear of letting down all of his fans with the realization that he's a hack becomes more and more pronounced in his being. That's just my guess, though.

It IS really good for genreshit. Like it's not the legit-literature tier of BotNS and Eddison &c., but it is really good for the kind of stuff plebs are likely to read. The characters are pretty well done, yes. There's a fuckload holding all aspects of it back though. It's just like you can see he's got some talent, but all of it's smeared with Vaseline.
Soap opera in a shade of intrigue is exactly the appeal.

The setting really shouldn't bother you. But hey, I can't get past twentieth century settings, so I guess I shouldn't talk.
I like fantasy, I don't like GRRM.

At this point anything he does would be better than the show's trajectory so idk what he feels so pressured by desu.

The dude read it in high school, of course he missed the point. We all did that kinda shit back then.

That pic's pretty pleb too though. A conlang doesn't make your book good.

>fantasy races are what make a good fantasy
>implying fantasy was even what Tolkien was trying to achieve
>implying that the whole of fantasy literature isn't just an unintended offshoot of Tolkien's great labor of love
pleb
youtube.com/watch?v=lXAvF9p8nmM

I know. I just thought it was a funny rant.

He was inspired by very definitely fantastic authors (yes, fantasy existed before Tolkien) like Eddison, so, yes, he was trying to achieve fantasy.

No shit he also explored themes and shit, what good author doesn't?

ITT: People still somehow harbouring a shred of non-cynic opinions about this guy.

It's the current year, c'mon he's been paid to not publish for a period of time. He also has a huge writing staff at his beck and call to help him finish whatever shitty plot he's got going in a way that can be generalised to what is now a million dollar franchise.

>No shit he also explored themes and shit
he didn't just explore themes.
he created a whole mythic world, and wrote his stories from a perspective of lost and recollected histories of our own mythic age.

making his own languages and world-building is just a part of that. He strived not just for an excellent story with themes worthy of heroic epic, and an excellent fantasy world which changed the fantasy literature world irrevocably, but he strove for a kind and a level of authenticity and believability that cannot be duplicated, without ever expecting it to be uncovered how deep his pools of context and backstory went. The context was deep purely for the sake of the authenticity.

>he didn't just explore themes.
>he also explored themes
ok

style isn't theme, user

yes

who's that? hemingway?

No, Sappho.

Definitely this.
And I'd like to add that he induced the show writers to make the story end with the most popular and obvious fan theories on purpose, either as a joke or to test the waters for him.
I can bet a lot of money he isn't going in the same direction as the series.

>c'mon he's been paid to not publish for a period of time
How would it help the show?
He has 2 more books to publish, it's not like when the next one hit the shelves the fad is going to end.

>how would it help the show
More people care about major spoilers in the TV show than the books.

Joyce
>spends literally every day of his life writing, putting thought and research and time into his masterpieces, imbuing every sentence with a density of allusions to hole in the walls in Dublin and multilingual puns and reimagined religious metaphor
GURM
>gets up, counts money, watches football, rants about Drumpf on twitter, writes blogpost about football, writes one or two sentences of "sunset found her squatting"-tier prose until he deletes everything and rewards himself with a twelfth cheeseburger

he was so butthurt, how can you not entertain the possibility when you see how fucking huge he is

Most of those other authors probably wrote just as much for their first draft but condensed the book considerably during editing.
Length of finished products don't reflect how fast the writer worked on it

I'm sure there are much greater examples but Catch-22 took eight years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the entire ' squatting in the sunset" thing was to make it appear that even a queen with 3 dragons can be humiliated and degraded, exemplified by the sudden use of coarse language too.

Except is Miura

pathetic maybe

slow? nope. King shits out a book every three weeks

Sure, but it's still not executed well even if that's what he was going for.

Yes, however in a vulgar, ham-fisted way. What would be the alternative interpretation anyway? That he put it there because it's his fetish?

Doesn't Sanderson have to cut his books in half before publishing?

>dude didnt have trouble putting words on the page until he got fame and ungodly amounts of money and a platform for throwing his two cents in on whatever the topic of the day might be

That isn't fucking true at all, he wrote the trilogy over a 20 year period, god knows how many times it got rewritten though because the style of the books are inconsistent as fuck.