What did he mean by this?

what did he mean by this?

>tfw Debord and Zizek will never make a superhero movie where they fly around and stop ideology

his first suicide attempt was by sticking his penis into a garbage disposal unit

It's pretty obvious.

Who is Guy Debord to criticize the choices of the majority?

To love you have to have respect and sympathy for yourself first. Modern civilisation teaches to despise i hate oneself. Therefore one chooses garbage disposal ("I'm trash") instead of love.

He's speaking about how at the dawn of our contemporary permissive society young people had the choice between pursueing whatever dream and ideals they wish but instead they chose meaningless spectacle and hollow relationships

Who is the majority to be above criticism by anyone?

Stop commodifying everyday life.

p-put that down, mister!

Only if you tell me...have you let images mediate your relationships today?

What is a garbage disposal unit?

Normies

>criticizing the man not the thought

>everyone is le stupid except me

This is largely true though

Basically existentialism lite

"you have the chance to JUST DO IT but you fucking don't you and all you do is feed into the spectacle fucking loser jfc."

I always interpreted it as choosing spectacle and materialism over unselfconscious love.

Cause like, all materials you love will eventually be in a dump, cosmic or municipal.

Sounds about right.

>when will le muggles learn D:

women

High school poem analysis tier

kys

>posting on Veeky Forums
>pretending you don't think you're smarter than anyone

You just want to tell yourself you're smarter than the people who think they're smarter than everyone. I at least admit to my narcissism

>I at least admit to my narcissism
How about you try to stop it, kiddo?

He's redpilling the population against the Shekel Jew's circumcision tricks desu

“Quotations are useful in periods of ignorance or obscurantist beliefs.”

hmm

They can chose between a genuine, authentically transcendental experience or an alienating sexual relationship and the end of that very alienating experience is an illusory hedonism.

The criticism of the thought is immanent in the rhetorical criticism of the man.

Taking the (attributed) quotation at face-value, Debord as much as claims that 100% of a population have done x as opposed to y. The language is constructed in such a way as to make it apparent to us that it is a sadness and an absurdity that the populatoin have all, to a person, chosen x.

And yet, they have /unanimously/ done so. There are no outliers, or strange eggs. This would suggest that there is a valid reason for their choice (it is still framed as a choice in the quotation, though Debord and those like him will decide that no real choice is involved when it is convenient for them).

Of course all of this assumes that the quotation is real and is definitely attributable to Debord, which might not even be the case - quotations are exceptionally easy prey for misattribution, the moreso in today's troll culture.

>Hey kid, wanna see a spectacle?

On what planet does "young people everywhere" mean 100% of the population.

If you're going to be autistic about his choice of words at least do it right.

hence the "as much as claims" qualification, which you're ignoring. In addition to the sense "Every place you go, you'll find at least one instance", there is the other sense in the language: "Everywhere" can also be validly construed to mean: in every place, in every circumstance, and without exception.

You have to pretend that I was unaware of and did not even consider the first reading (false per the above post), or those like it, in order to criticize me for only doing the second reading.