SHORT STORY THREAD

Post; Give recs; Discuss; Whatever

To start -
unlimited-ebooks.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/3/9/13397081/carver_raymond_-_vitamins.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1978/08/in-the-dry/376290/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's your sell on Carver?

just read his short stories and see if theyre dank or not

Read what we talk about when we talk about love and thought it was meh as fuck. Chck out mavis gallant, somerset maugham or donald barthelme for dank af short stories desu senpaitachi.

coming from a small town defined by all its strip malls and fast food and also being chad in hs and getting stuck in a rotten marriage with a menial wage-job i felt like that guy in cathedral so i thought it was cool, vitamins certainly captures the underlying dissatisfaction and reality of the lower middle class without stooping to sentimentality

the swimmer was some dank shit my bro, try that

I meant the entire collection of stries btw. Id say what we talk about was my favorite then the one with the couple who went to bingo.

>dank
?
Sorry, English is my first language.

Dank tier:
Tobias Wolff

The Lady with the Dog

Help me /lit
Should I try to publish my short stories or post them somewhere and to gather some "fanbase" who will buy my later books?

when I said post somewhere I meant like, online and for free

How are you going to make your potential fanbase aware of your short stories? Start by submitting them to print zines (and competitions) so you get a feel for how tough the competition is and how much you have to learn. It's always nice to have a portfolio of work published in minor things anyway.

R E A D
A M B R O S E
B I E R C E

I was thinking about asking people I know to advertise my blog or something. But getting a sense of the competition before anything is actually good advice, thanks user

You can only ask them so many times and even then they'll probably be a bit annoyed by it. It's very hard to advertise, the Internet is a sea of information and vying to be seen is difficult.

Wasn't really a fan of this one, although I frequently see it referred to as his best or at least one of his best. What did I miss? I much preferred The Bet and The Doctor.

I greatly enjoyed Bullet in the Brain but haven't yet read anything else of his. Suggestions?

Read a bunch of his stories but only found a couple somewhat worthy of the credit I sometimes see him given and can't even recall what those were. I think one had to do with a remote cabin near a creek? Is my perception just tainted by how much time has passed since he wrote and the fact that what he did, while largely new at the time, has by now been done to death (no pun intended)?

You're right I think that Bierce is one of those writers who was groundbreaking in his time but to appreciate now you have to put on your "contextual" hat and don't expect anything you haven't seen regurgitated by copycats.

Looking for
''How Much Land Does a Man Need? & Other Stories: And Other Stories''
pdf. Anyone can help a lad out?

bump

2/10

Alice Munro
Faulkner

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1978/08/in-the-dry/376290/

Breece is wonderful and too sincere for the heart to deny.

"Trilobites" and "The Honored Dead" are fantastic as well and can also be read at the Atlantic website.