What are some good entry level philosophical books?

What are some good entry level philosophical books?

Pick a philosopher you slightly know about you find interesting and read the most famous work by them. From there you will obviously notice that writer building upon many other philosophers from the past and just read the connected works.

But if you're an autist with all the time in the world. Start with the pre-greek philosophers and go in chronological order.

Peter Singer books on ethics.

>Start with the pre-greek philosophers
what could this mean?

OP, start with the greeks

I think he meant pre-Socratics.

cave paintings

Certainly not Nietzsche.
Read the SEP articles for the pre-socratic and start with Plato's dialogues (all of them), then study his oral doctrines and reread everything while keeping these new notions in mind.
Then move to Aristotle.
After having dome that, almost everything pre-Kant philosopher is fair game.

camus is entry tier. hobbes is pretty easy, too, and locke isnt too bad either. empiricism is kinda boring, but its good to know. philosophy doesnt rly have an easy entry point, its kinda baptism by fire. camus is really the only respected philosopher that comes to mind who's easy to read. bertrand russell, if you're into analytic phil, is also pretty easy imo, but if you suck at math dont bother

haha. good one op! that was a fune joke you made, there. it really made me think about the things you said.

Camus starts by referencing like 5 other philosophers. I found him pretty tough to read, he rambles a lot and takes forever to actually get the point he promised to make.

Nietzsche isn't entry level. If you read it without reading a fucking shit ton of other works first, you'll never understand it.

This is why you get the retards like that protest chick claiming, "Read Nietzsche and you'll know the truth, bro!", or whatever it was that she said.
You won't understand it at all, and everyone with whom you discuss it with who does have a decent understanding of it will know instantly that you don't understand it.

There are no shortcuts, retard.

Not Nietzsche maked the mistake to started with thus spoke Zarathustra as entry and I didn't understood shit

The Apology of Socrates

i'd honestly start with plato and the partially examined life podcasts about each dialogue as well as the SEP articles. working hard to understand the dialogues will give you some idea of the basic problems of philosophy and will show you what you are interested in re: ethics, epistemology, ontology, etc. no need to rush through them. spend a bunch of time with each.

There is a Philosophy for Dummies book that covers the basics that isn't too bad.

Any beginner will get fucking wrecked by Aristotele, sure he is foundational, but he isn't entry level.

I recommend Descartes or some modern ethics. A lot of people hate Peter Singer but he tackles "real" issues in a very approachable way.

Start with the Poetics, by Aristotle.

I started with Hume's essays. They are incredibly accessible and written for the laymen. Other than that, start with Plato. Read or watch a lecture concerning the notable presocratics. You must understand that philosophy takes decades to understand.

THE FUCKING GREEKS.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

>Any beginner will get fucking wrecked by Aristotele, sure he is foundational, but he isn't entry level.

Of course, but there is still no prerequisite to read him, meaning that, no matter how hard it might be, this user has no excuse for not reading him.

Regardless, Aristotle is a fun read and his complexity will function as some sort of preliminary training for that user. If he manages to digest it, he'll be able to approach MOST philosophers: it's too good of a deal for him to waste time on Singer. That won't teach him anything, and past that he won't be able to read any other serious philosopher.

>People still don't realize "Start with the Greeks" is legitimately good advice and very common starting point for undergrads

its the french

>People still don't realize "Start with the Greeks" is legitimately good advice
This is the whole point of repeating it endlessly

Just get the cave and the light by herman. Then work your way around from there.