How the fuck am I supposed to understand this obscurantist prick? I can't fucking parse anything he's saying together

how the fuck am I supposed to understand this obscurantist prick? I can't fucking parse anything he's saying together.

Other urls found in this thread:

larvalsubjects.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/deleuze-what-is-called-thinking/
immanentterrain.wordpress.com/biblio/
ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=154
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Start with the Greeks

you've been memed

I picked up one of his books and it doesn't even seem to be in English!

It came highly recommended yet I found it to be loose and derivative!

>reading 20th century French philosophy
Waste of time, they were all trying to outdo each other in writing the most dense, intentionally bewildering tracts possible.

can I get a non-meme answer like

been looking forward to getting to deleuze. which book are you reading? the oedipus one?

Actually, it was a meme answer too. You've been memed.

Dont' read this shit, it's French. They're only good at novels.

fuck deleuze and his post-material bullshit.

I finished that and now I'm on A Thousand Plateu's, and it's even worse.
REEEEEEE

Did you have much trouble with Foucault? I feel like if you can parse Foucault without much trouble then D&G, while still a challenge shouldn't be too difficult. If you jumped straight into them then that's on you.

Might I also recommend the book pictured? A very good secondary text, something you can read in conjunction to C&S.

A pdf copy is freely available if you google the title. Should be the first link.

Come on Deleuze isn't that hard user. Anyway, get more familiar with Bergson.

Read Difference and Repetion and logic of sense first, user.

larvalsubjects.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/deleuze-what-is-called-thinking/

>If you jumped straight into them then that's on you.
tfw
you can't tell me what I can find hard or easy you nigger
Isn't DoR his most turgid work though?

>Difference and Repetion
I don't know about that. I feel like that's the text people should work towards rather than to start with. It's very dense. You can say so is all of his work, but this even more so in my experience.

the big problem was that he came together with this psychoanalysis prick Guatari. Even though there may be realtions, mixing philosphy and psychology is a bad idea and only obscures topics and themes even more. so read only Deleuze.

Thansk man mind is blown a little bit.

how else do you get to the bottom of ideology?
without psychoanalysis you remain in naive "if we stop all manipulation the people will wake up" mode. one must address universal slave-mentality.

So, you picked up the biggest and most challenging books in his oeuvre, which came up after 10 years of careful building of his thought on his part, didn't understand shit because you're not acquainted with his ideas, and this is somehow Deleuze's fault?
Start with Logic of the Senses, Difference and Repetition, his books on Spinoza and Nietzsche and then clear your way through there.

1. Ignore the plebs in this thread

2. Pick up (aka pirate) his essays, interviews, conferences texts: Desert Islands and Other Texts, Two Regimes of Madness, Dialogues, Negotiations, Essays: Critical and Clinical. Also check webdeleuze.com for hia courses translated in several languages.

3. Use this bibliography here (the French one) to figure out what you're interested in: immanentterrain.wordpress.com/biblio/

4. Read "Letter to a Harsh Critic" (in Negotiations) and skim over the other texts in these 5 books, just pick the ones that sound interesting

5. Read "Nietzsche and Philosophy", then "Nietzsche" (much shorter than the first, basically a summary, but with some subtle stuff changed). If you are having trouble consult the above collections for conferences, interviews and essays concerning Nietzsche (not all have his name in the title and not all of them are from the same period).

6. Pick whatever direction you're interested in and read the works you like (you may not want to jump straight into his work with Guattari, especially if you're not that familiar with philsophy and Lacanian psychoanalysis).

7. If you're in the mood for a light read pick up Francois Dosse's Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari: Intersecting Lives for their biographies.

8. Look up (Google and Youtube) guys like Ian Buchanan (not the soap actor), Manuel DeLanda, James Williams, John Protevi, Nathan Widder, Anne Sauvargnagues(or however the hell it'a spelled, I'm on my phone) and others for various interpretations. Even Derrida has an English conference about Deleuze on Youtube. And guys from the Virtual Actual Journal on Youtube. They have a ton of videos on Deleuze in English, but their sound quality sucks sometimes. Also Deleuze has a conference with English subtitles on cinema on Youtube that's interesting even if you don't care about cinema.

9. Learn to develop your assemblages and bodies without organs and get drunk on cold water while thinking of the morality of grass growing in a manner that can only be described as stuttering in your own private languages. (The Body without Organs chapter in A Thousand Plateaus is quite accessible and should be read before Anti-Oedipus).

>Learn to develop your assemblages and bodies without organs and get drunk on cold water while thinking of the morality of grass growing in a manner that can only be described as stuttering in your own private language

This kind of thing is what drove me to Deleuze in the first place, I may not understand shit, but his prose is wonderful nonetheless.

Here's where I first heard about Deleuze:
ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=154
Machines everywhere. Desiring-machines, production-machines, abstract machines of faciality, organ-machines, energy-source machines. A fantastic density of machinic values that traverses the social field, and within which subjectivity most of all enters into a theatre of death decoded of its memories, deterritorialized of its means of reproduction, and decontextualized

My gott, this.

Deleuze himself was accused of doing psychology even before he met Guattari. Besides, D&G are basically self-help for intellectuals, but they're great at it.