It's up

It's up.

I was checking his channel for new videos like 20 minutes ago and didn't see it.
Thanks!

Who?

3blue1brown, math youtuber

Praised Be

>"learning" math on YouTube

oh takbir he uploaded

> math youtuber

For a math youtuber, he has genuinely nice explanations and helpful animations to visualise the probkem at hand.

>this is the kind of people who shit on CS "because it has no math"

ALLAHU AKBAR !!

I liek dis pop-sci channel, for real

This

Read a fucking textbook and practice the questions so you can get the qualifications to become a math student. Then worry about math youtubers. Note that by the time you get to the stage of doing a degree or a masters you will not give a shit about what math youtubers have to say.

>tfw doing a masters in applied mathematics
>tfw care about what 3b1b says
The dudes got talent at explaining and teaching. Something professors and textbook writers do not.

unironically quality post

>math
It's MATHS, faggots

You are so ignorant and honestly just boring. There is a difference between serious math and math for fun. 3b1b is really math for fun. I enjoy it as a math major. He has a really interesting video format in which he presents a problem in math, and solves it by suggesting how you may have discovered that theorem yourself. In my opinion, this is an amazing format that appeals to both mathematicians and non-mathematicians, but especially to mathematicians. While non-mathematicians will go there and donate patreon shekels for the "cool xD" result and the "cool xD" animations someone who is into math will simply appreciate the clarity of the solutions he presents. To this day he has done this to calculus, linear algebra, some topology problems, a literal #6 Putnam problem (If you have not ever wondered about how to discover the solution to a #6 problem then you are a pleb), group theory, etc. His most recent video was about how you might discover Fourier transforms.

To be quite honest if you can't appreciate his videos then your spark put out long ago. I would suggest you redirect yourself to the engineering or CS department to do bland math with the other retards. Meanwhile, we will be here living it up with the big boys learning how to discover the solutions to the most famous problems in mathematics.

>Fourier transform video

is it even worth watching if I've been living and dying by Fourier transforms and series for the last 3 years as an EE major

It is, gives a nice visualisation
Currently doing calculus 3 and it has just helped me understand what's going on behind the formulae our professor derived

Got a Math and Physics BS 18 months ago, and currently working on an Astronomy PhD.
I definitely benefited from his visualizations.
Is shit like this rigorous? No, that's what classes are for.
Is shit like this insanely useful for making hard classes make sense intuitively? OH HELL YES.

If you watch math youtube videos, your classes will be much easier because you will understand a lot of the general concepts and be able to visualize and mentally represent what they are.
Math youtube videos are not, however, a replacement for understanding the mechanics of a proof to build up an explanation.

Youtube videos help you understand a concept in your own brain.
Rigor and proofs help you learn how to verify those concepts and communicate them to others.

Both are important

This is a good post. Rigor and formality are necessary but without any intuition you can't really understand anything. A good professor provides a balance of both.

where'd they get the name from?

The beginning is a very clever take on it. If you know fourier series and fourier transforms though it drags on a bit.

Intuition is another word for practice. Do your fucking homework.

Intuition also comes from practice, yes.
But it can be hard to even get started without a little bit.
These videos are the kindling, practice is the main fuel.

It isn't over here, where we kicked your country's ass.

They are actually chads

METH? WHERE?

2nd year undergrad post. Most of what blue brown guy says is just shit he pulls out of his ass and is not particularly insightful if at all.

>most of what he says he pulls out of his ass
That's not even remotely true.

>muh winding
>muh center of mass
Do engineers really need this shit? I just think of it as projecting the function on the sinusoid Schauder basis.

flag on moon

>Center of mass

mathematics is singular though

That's french you faggot. speak english

Hence maths, not mathses

I never said you couldn't do math for fun. It's okay to follow these math youtubers. I just find it annoying when people 'learn' math on youtube instead of doing the work thats needed to be proficient in a topic. I'm a math major too.

I enjoy these videos for popularising math but not for what they teach. I like that 3b1b is getting people interested in math but getting people to put the work in to math is the point of bringing interest in the first place.
Don't proceed to call me ignorant when you put words in my mouth and make assumptions about what I think.

I'm from Ireland and i still call it 'Math'. It doesn't matter.

Veeky Forums will only ever approve if you're learning only math or physics and only learning from a black and white textbook where there's more notation than words and all proofs are left as an exercise for the reader

Fuck you mean everyone in Ireland calls it maths

>I just find it annoying when people 'learn' math on youtube instead of doing the work thats needed to be proficient in a topic

But 3b1b is not making courses to teach you to be proficient. He is showing how to discover. What is wrong with that? It is not like anyone watching his videos will be granted a degree. He is just another alternative format, like solution guides and problem compilations have been in the past.

>Don't proceed to call me ignorant
But you are ignorant of his intentions and honestly kinda paranoid. You are coming off as really weird and elitist. It was stuff like his work that got me into math back when I was a kid. Sorry if I did not feel like grinding through 500 page books when I was eight. I guess I must just be a retard.

The cold hard truth

I love you

I Think you're making wild leaps of logic here. All I'm saying is that it's a better idea to practice more than you learn. That's what has helped me these past couple of years to get where I wanted to go in math and I got into math through the same stuff.
I don't think it's elitist in the slightest to say to people that they need to work hard to get better at math. I even said that it's cool to listen to these youtubers in the comment you're replying to.
If you work hard at what you know it makes learning new stuff that much easier.

As far as i'm aware everyone outside the US calls it 'maths'

That's cool. My point was to actually apply yourself to whatever it is you're doing if it involves math. I just don't like it when people watch these kinds of educational videos with no desire afterwards to actually do math themselves

One of his eyes is 3/4 blue and 1/4 brown. It's a disease.

I don't think he ever said or implied that 3b1b was insightful He's just saying its good for getting you to see a way to find a solution to a problem that would be difficult under a conventional method.

I also didn't imply anywhere in any of my posts that discovering as you say is wrong

cool

And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon England's mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green & pleasant Land.

t. not studying only one mathmatic. Brainlet

>triforce instead of logarithms memes
>some half assed nonsense about new kind of numbers
>euler lagrange is a bunch of springs

I want Grant to rape me

>Read a fucking textbook
it better be at least 60 years old and first print or else you're a brainlet

Never knew Veeky Forums was so full of jagged autists who convulse in anger every time someone popular encroaches on their secret club. Pathetic.

>this is the state of western men
Not a single chad in that picture

You didn't? It's the reason I only poke my head in Veeky Forums every several months. It's the most draining shit.

>Not a single chad in that picture
You forgot to apply the generation specific xenoestrogen intake scaling factor. They're chads relative to the mean and median alphaness of millennial men.

Math post-grad here, his linear algebra series is wonderful and a great introduction and primer for students who are going into linear algebra

Brainlet engineer here. I like his videos because of the clarity. He has a good way of showing the intuition behind a problem's soltution without concealing the complexity too much. He shows rather than trivialise. He's truly one of the best math channel on youtube.