I've never seen a good chart for sacred texts aside from Christian stuff. So I've made one myself...

I've never seen a good chart for sacred texts aside from Christian stuff. So I've made one myself, the top editions are mostly the ones I own myself and are all by qualified academics in their respective fields. I haven't read all of the bottom versions, but I researched the translators of each to check they're reasonably qualified, and they were mainly chosen for being easier to get hold of or cheaper (hence the Penguin Classics).

Hopefully you guys find this useful, I learned a fair bit about the wealth (or sometimes dearth) of English translations of various religious texts. I stuck to extant religions so it didn't become massive. Some religions like Baha'i would deserve to get in but they either don't have clearly defined texts or there aren't translations.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Al-Quran-Contemporary-Translation-Ahmed-Ali/dp/0691074992
amazon.com/Approaching-Quran-Revelations-MIchael-Sells/dp/1883991692
amazon.com/Following-Muhammad-Rethinking-Contemporary-Civilization/dp/0807855774/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493912538&sr=1-4&keywords=carl ernst
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks

Actually not bad, thanks desu

>tfw no Zen texts

Was that intentional?

Buddhism is tough to summarize! I stuck to Mahayana for simplicity.

Agreed it almost deserves its own chart.

Maybe charts of religions by region? An Africa chart, etc..

I'm not the OP, but I have heard good things about In The Buddha's Words. It's obviously not specifically Zen but I would think anyone interested would want to read it.

I think someone more knowledgeable would have to make those.

>extant
>Iching, sunjata, etc.
fucking lol

Damn, just noticed a bunch of errors. Hopefully all fixed now.

The Sundiata oral tradition is alive and well, it's an active area of research for folklorists and linguists. I Ching is still used by mystics, and is culturally important in any case, even if most Chinese are atheist by western standards.

>Damn, just noticed a bunch of errors. Hopefully all fixed now.
for this, sleep on it after you make a fake thread

>fake thread
???

Rename the "Buddhism" section to "Theravada Buddhism" instead, please.

Remove the I Ching from the "Chinese Folk Religion" section please.

For Islam, I would recommend:

amazon.com/Al-Quran-Contemporary-Translation-Ahmed-Ali/dp/0691074992

amazon.com/Approaching-Quran-Revelations-MIchael-Sells/dp/1883991692

and this if you get around to adding secondary texts:

amazon.com/Following-Muhammad-Rethinking-Contemporary-Civilization/dp/0807855774/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493912538&sr=1-4&keywords=carl ernst

Christianity is equally tough to summarize.

Also
>Judaism
>Old Testament of the Holy Bible
>No Rabbinic literature
Fucking
Stop

>leaves search terms in URL
>ernst is obvious shill for hypothetically-liberalized-Islam fetishization
go home, cuck

You have dated translations for Judaism and Chinese stuff, see NJPS, Burton Watson's Analects and Zhuangzi, Alfred Huang's I-Ching.

Your chart is worthless because at no point did you ask yourself whether throwing scriptures at people without any context was a good idea - in case you were wondering why charts you find good for "Christianity" and not versions of the Bible don't just have versions of the Bible in them. That is because the relationship between text and religion is different for each and everyone of the listed faiths, Confucian classics aren't complete and aren't "sacred" by any stretch of the word.

>NJPS
That's literally what's in the chart

>Burton Watson
How is his less dated than Edward Slingerland's, which was published in 2003?

I have a feeling you didn't actually read the chart and just decided to take the opportunity to show your entry-level knowledge. The chart is just basic texts of various religions, for people looking for them. A comprehensive chart would be too big and basically impossible.

>decided to take the opportunity to show your entry-level knowledge
To be fair the chart does this too, the idea that Taoism, Confucianism and Chinese Folk Religion being separate categories is a western spook.

Any religion being separate is a spook. Christianity is a syncretism of pharisaic judaism, jewish apocalypticism, greek philosophy, and a few unique teachings from Jesus and Paul. Islam is a syncretism of Judaism, Christianity, and local Arab folklore.

>How is his less dated than Edward Slingerland'
I'm talking about Lau

>A comprehensive chart would be too big and basically impossible.
Exactly, pick one religion and do something useful with it. Speaking of which there are already better charts for Islam and Chinese literature/religion, get with the program

>I'm talking about Lau
That's why it says "accessible or cheaper", the Penguin editions are more widely available and cost less, and D.C. Lau's translations are totally acceptable for a cheaper alternative. Lau was a top scholar in his time, and his translations are from the latter half of the 20th century, they're not so horrendously out of date that they're useless, in fact they're still quite good considering the difficultly of the texts.

>Exactly, pick one religion and do something useful with it. Speaking of which there are already better charts for Islam and Chinese literature/religion, get with the program
This is an overview chart. There are no charts for Zoroastrianism, Sikhism. Hinduism, Shinto, or African myths. Most people have no clue what their primary texts even are. Or someone might just want something basic like a Quran or short ahadith collection. It's serving a purpose, not trying to be anything more. I get what you're saying, if someone wants to make a "Start With The Ainu" chart, that would be awesome too. Your enthusiasm for more depth is great, and I may well go on to make more extensive charts for specific religions.

>>amazon.com/Al-Quran-Contemporary-Translation-Ahmed-Ali/dp/0691074992
Second this recommendation.

The jewish section is lacking. The chart would be better if in addition to the Tanakh it included the Talmud Bavli, and the Zohar

Ive wanted something like this for a while, good work OP

Good point about the Talmud, I didn't include it at first because it's not scripture like the Tanakh, but it's so important it does bear including, so here you go.

Zohar on the other hand, isn't exactly central for most jews, so I think that would be better for a more specialized chart.

Thanks!

> Including recommended translations

Thanks OP!

Good shit op. Appreciate your chutzspa

>73 volumes

kek

Any charts for orthodox christianity?

Pretty nice job OP, actually impresed

The Talmud is ridiculous, it's basically an entire library of Rabbi autism.

>and the Zohar
A lot of Orthodox Jews really really hate the idea that non-Jews think Kabbalah is popular among Jews let alone a core text.

Replace Tanakh with either Talmud, be it whole or the most notable volumes, or Kabbalah. I mean, you are keeping the old testament, so there is no reason to repeat.

Good work, OP. These seem really interesting and serve as a good, concise guide. Thank you, kind OP.

What are your thoughts on Takuan Soho and the Rinzai school?

It'd be nice to see Bahá'í on the chart.

>Reading the Hadith before the Sunnah
>No Catechism or Commentaries in the Christianity section
>No Fudoki or Norito

>Reading the Hadith before the Sunnah
The ahadith are sources for the sunnah, you can't read the sunnah

>No Catechism or Commentaries in the Christianity section
This is an essential core texts chart

>No Fudoki or Norito
What do you think the Kojiki and Nihon Shoki are? They're among the earliest sources for norito and Japanese culture in general.