Name good German authors who fly under the international radar

Name good German authors who fly under the international radar.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xkrTUGI8V9Y
lexido.com/EBOOK_TEXTS/THE_WANDERER_AND_HIS_SHADOW_.aspx?S=99
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Otto Skorzeny

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Hermann Hesse
Franz Kafka (not even a real German though)

pretty much the exact opposite of what OP asked for.

no such thing as a good kraut. Well, except a dead one, of course.

seriously.
People who don't read OP should be banned

Nietzsche

Büchner springs to mind.

This board is fucking awful though. Are there any other big boards or forums where literature is actually discussed?

Sorry, didn't get the "flying under radar" thing. I thought it ment the exact opposite.

This.
>asking Germans with English idioms

Under the radar is an international idiom though.

Too many sausages hans?

Germans falling victim to the radar again
>Typical

Friedrich Dürrenmatt (He was Swiss, but wrote in German)
Frank Schätzing

Ernst Jünger

Erich Kästner

Gottfried Benn

Alfred Döblin, Berlinalexanderplatz should already have it's place amongst Veeky Forums memedom. It's funny, modernist, sort of long clocking at 500 pages and reads like a WWII Good Soldier Svjek, only better (though Svjek never quite reached memedom, despite having been hyped a few years ago)(

heinrich böll, günter grass

>Goebells
His speeches are always taught and analyzed in colleges
Dude had way more talent than Hitler

t. not a nazi

This

Unfortunately, no.

My boy Hans

They don't fall under the radar by all means but their original Kinder- und Hausmärchen from the early 1800s sure as hell do.
The brothers Grimm.

Also, Frank Wedekind.

Beat Sterchi.

Robert Walser (Swiss)
Peter Handke (Austrian)
Peter Weiss (German/Swedish)
Rainald Goetz (German)
Siegfried Lenz (German)
Joseph Roth (Austrian)

Came here to post this

Köppen

Stefan George (best german poet)
Georg Heym (dark symbolist poetry)
Paul Celan (jewish symbolist poetry)
Georg Büchner (drama, 19th century revolutionary)
Wolfgang Borchert (wwii short stories)

Christian Kracht is arguably the best contemporary german-speaking prose writer in case you don't know him yet

for prose in general, I'd say Tin Drum is a little overrated here on Veeky Forums, Berlin Alexanderplatz and Die Aufzeichnungen des Malte Laurids Brigge by Rilke are among the best german novels IMO

Ludwig Tieck is great for typical fairy tale old castle and deep forest german romanticism shit

I don't know how big your 'radar' is but I tried to chose authors which are not among the 5-10 best known

Tucholsky

Günter Grass, and it's a fact because no one name him

Hes a faggot though

ha!

ETA Hoffmann
Achim von Arnim
Hanns Heinz Ewers

You mean metaphorically? I don't think he was gay.

Heiner Müller

i know this isn't what OP asked for but thought that this is a good starting point for anyone interested in deutsche lit

I'm still pretty mad that Realism isn't the one that's realistic

>it's Naturalism

underrated

jej

youtube.com/watch?v=xkrTUGI8V9Y

Max Stirner

Urs Allemann

Clemens Meyer, Bricks and Mortar

>Frank Schätzing
I hope this is bait. Schätzing is nothing but a product made by the literary industry who can't write (if he even writes his book himself). His characters are annoying stereotypes and his novels are written like they were scripts of a film.

If you want to recommend German bestselling authors at least recommend guys like Pascal Mercier or Walter Moers (although his last novel was outrageous and embarrassing).

>Christian Kracht is arguably the best contemporary german-speaking prose writer
Kracht is an overhyped fag. Nothing more nothing less. His novels seem to be artificial and dishonest and his prose isn't that good, although he's at least able to write some good sentences on his own. Which is more then a lot of other contemporary german writers are able to.
The best contemporary german-speaking prose writer was Feridun Zaimoglu. And there wasn't even a competition. Unfortunately he became quite dull and toothless after his first few novels which were published by Rotbuch.

Does Veeky Forums know about Novalis?
If not then:
Novalis

>under the radar
>suggests the three most internationally acclaimed and celebrated German language writers of all time

>heinrich böll
Yes, I second that.

I feel like Kracht lives mostly of the fact that germans love to be told how they are and to read about themselves and Germany.

Hitler, Nietzsche, Kafka

Jean Paul
Heinrich Heine
Herrmann Broch

germans btfo again

i lived in germany for a year and i'm forgetting more and more german, thx Veeky Forums for these suggestions

Has he been translated to English in full? If not where should you start with him? Any specific editions you'd recommend?

arno schmidt
stefan zweig
maybe also christoph ransmayr idk
t. manns brother heinrich mann is nice

Joseph Roth. He wrote mainly about the waning days of the Austro -Hungarian Empire. Relevant reading, I'd say.

Jean Paul (!)
Christoph Martin Wieland
Walter Moers
Marianne Fritz
Alexander Kluge

r/books

Yeah, that and being an amazing prosaist who couples unconventional plots with relevant, cultural insights

jean paul deserves to be forgotten, even inside germany.

The first time I've heard about Jean Paul was in a Schopenhauer book, and I was like:

>who?

I tried to look him up but it looked like a German meme that's impossible to export.

>Jean Paul knew a great deal, but had no science; understood all manner of tricks of art, but had no art; found almost everything enjoyable, but had no taste; possessed feeling and seriousness, but in dispensing them poured over them a nauseous sauce of tears; had even wit, but, unfortunately for his ardent desire for it, far too little — whence he drives the reader to despair by his very lack of wit. In short, he was the bright, rank smelling weed that shot up overnight in the fair pleasaunces of Schiller and Goethe. He was a good, comfortable man, and yet a destiny, a destiny in a dressing gown.
lexido.com/EBOOK_TEXTS/THE_WANDERER_AND_HIS_SHADOW_.aspx?S=99

gottfried keller rewrote green henry just to get rid of all the purple jean paul inspired prose.

OUP has an adequately translated edition of his tales. Also, I've read three of his novels in English, the best perhaps being the Penguin Kater Murr (Tomcat Murr, Life and Opinions of..)

Nobody mention him? He writes the most beautiful prose you will find today in german.

German-speaking:
- Karl Kraus
- Kurt Tucholsky
- Otto Weininger
- Erich Maria Remarque
- Erich Kästner
- Oswald Spengler
- E.T.A Hoffmann

Pretty much all philosophy.

Many, many more. Stay away from anything contemporary, it's completely worthless in comparison.

Benno von Archimboldi

Go back to your grave, Roberto.

Seconding Bob Walser.

Urs Alleman

I'd add Erich Fromm to that list. I just bought "Jenseits der Illusionen"from him, if you're into that sort of thing (and are aware that Freud and the Frankfurt school are both things to be observed but not taken seriously)

kek'd

Seconding Berlin, Alexanderplatz. That whole era had some great books:

- Koeppen's Tauben im Gras
- Segher's Das Siebte Kreuz
- Thomas Bernhard, it's all the same
- Christoph Ransmayr

bit older: Gerhart Hauptmann. Christian Kracht is garbage. Sven Regener is identical but at least funny. There hasn't been a good, ambitious, challenging German author in 20, 30 years.

I keep on pushing Moers' Zamonien books here since they're so ridiculously comfy and are doing fantasy in a unique way.

I'll say Schiller. I know that Schiller is very known, but many Amerifats don't know about him.