How to into math?

So for the majority of my life i have sat through math classes and passed through osmotic learning alone (C's mostly). Now that i've gotten into CS i want to know how to into maths again? How do i learn things again?

Other urls found in this thread:

people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/)
Veeky
normalesup.org/~saurin/Enseignement/Proof_Theory_CMI/undergraduate.pdf
8ch_net/prog/res/3034_html#3034
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

By earn again i mean actually get good at the maths.

Read books

>Speed Mathematics Simplified (Dover Books) by Edward Stoddard Covers complement arithmetic which you will see again in CS (but in binary)

>Algebra by Gelfand and Shen
>Functions and Graphs by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Shnol
>The Method of Coordinates by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Kirillov
>Trigonometry by Gelfand and Saul
Short books that will force you to solve problems by understanding them, not blindly copying the example problem.

>How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method by Polya
Teaches you how to approach problems.

>Book of Proof by Hammack (available for free here: people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/)
You will need to be good with proofs to do well in discrete math.

>Basic Mathematics by Lang
Fills in any gaps for calculus and beyond.

For advanced books see
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

You don't have to worry.
Cs majors don't actually learn math. Many programs don't even require calculus.

>>Basic Mathematics by Lang
Lang is a meme.

Not all Earth is your 3rd world country, fatty.

Even in the us. Calc too haRd for brainlets in cs.

It's the opposite for me with programming. I just want these shit courses to be over with.

Theoretical computer science is basically a substet of math.

the gelfand books and polya are the only good ones here, rest are memes, skip them and go to spivak next

>even in the us
yeah, thats what meant, hence the fatty

It's possible learn all middle and high school math in just 1 year? studying like 5 hours 7 days week?

are you asking or are you stating a fact?

I hear this said all the time, but all of the cs programs I know of (admittedly few) require ~3 semesters of calc, linear algebra, diff eq, and a few discrete math courses.

You barely learn anything in high school/middle school. Just do Khan Academy and you'll be done in a few weeks/months.

>require ~3 semesters of calc, linear algebra, diff eq, and a few discrete math courses

Sorry, am I supposed to be impressed?

No, but saying that it doesn't require any math courses is silly, most cs programs are heavier in math then engineering classes because of algorithm analysis and other similar classes.

this

>most cs programs are heavier in math then engineering classes because of algorithm analysis and other similar classes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, no.

At my school, mechanical engineering only requires a few calc classes, diff eq, and linear algebra.

>being so butthurt over failing CS you have to pretend this book is used in CS classes

Sorry, I lied, just looked it up. Mechanical engineering requires 3 semesters of calc, and diff eq, and that's it for math.

>say CS is trivial
>"hurr durr you must've failed"

why do so many cs kiddies repeat this phrase?

>CS doesn't involve non-deterministic quantum metastring supra-infinite dimension complex manifold in Barnett-integrable Wildberger-real valued functions whose algebraic structure is a discrete continuum having the Michiocuckold-BSM property
>dude must be trivial lmfaoooo
Why do so many memers repeat this phrase?

Stop spamming.

>no way people find the stuff that I find hard as easy
>the whole board must be out against me!

The is that way

>Most CS majors are anti-intellectual retards
This is true, but most students of any major are anti-intellectual retards, University is sold to high school students as their only viable option even if they're retarded, it's not hard to get accepted to a state school, and they'll offer you plenty of loans to cover it for you. Let's not pretend like most of the people at university aren't brainlet retards. 90% of my classes are mech e majors that constantly complain about having to take a derivative. There's also plenty of CS majors complaining that they just want to make video games. Everybody is a retard but you, and every major is full of retards but yours.

You're so cute when you're rationalizing your homelessness major choice. Tell me: how many replies is it gonna take before you bow down and claim you never said CS was shit but only that it depended on the curriculum this time?

>scapegoating gamers

Just like womyn studies majors.

>muh jerbs
>therefore cs schooling be alrite

You sure showed them your great logical skillz

I mean I'm a CS major, and their unironically the most insufferable faggots in my classes, not that there's many of them.

Look, I do what I like AND I'll get muh jerbs. What about you?

OP
I just came for maths, because i realize that in order to be an actually competent EE, SE, and CS, i need to understand the mathematics behind these ideas. Discrete maths is a nice start, but Calculus, Trigonometry, Linear Algebra, and the like are all very useful mathematical theorems which will allow me ot exand my understanding.

Now for a good poriton of my life i was completely apathetic to matahmatics, never practiced. After taking some CS courses i've begun to gain an appreciation for mathematics and its problem-solving utilities, as well as its general logocal soundness and beauty.

No i wan't to get better at my maths, so instead of bickering about how "CS is not/is maths", how about we instead focus on how to relearn maths in a way that would be useful for me?

I am a super-fast learner, i have maintained immense neuroplasticisty because aspergers superpowers, I can understand a theorem if it is explaied, that part is easy. All i need is a direction and some practice.

So please help me Veeky Forums, i really fucking like CS, and i really like maths.

No fuck you this is the anti CS circlejerk thread now.

>how about we instead focus on how to relearn maths in a way that would be useful for me?
Depends on what you *want* to do. CS can cover almost any branch of math, it's just that very little is essential generally speaking (namely calculus, algebra, arithmetic and combinatorics).

Do you want to do scientific calculations? Learn real analysis, linear algebra, numerical analysis, mechanics and statistics.
Do you want to do 3D graphics? Learn linear algebra, measure theory, optics and trigonometry.
Do you want to do machine learning? Learn calculus, numerical analysis and linear algebra.
Do you want to do logic? Learn some more advanced general algebra, sequent calculus and Hoare logic.
Do you want to do embedded programming? Learn computer architecture, some low-level languages (assembly for your architecture or C) and circuit analysis if you need.
Do you want to make a compiler? Learn language theory (finite automata, context-free grammars, LR automata), and fuck around with YACC.
Do you want to do image processing? Learn whatever algorithms can be relevant to you (deflate, FFT, FWT).

I need a foundation to learn those maths first though.

Where do i learn the fundamentals necessary to understand those concepts first?

There are tons of quality textbooks on calculus and real analysis (Baby Rudin covers real analysis, but I don't know how far it goes as far as calculus is concerned). For algebra, arithmetic and combinatorics, I have no idea what's best. For numerical analysis, I recommend Numerical Recipes in C, although it lacks some formalism at times it makes you practice everything. Linear algebra might be the hardest thing I mentioned because of how fucking vast it is. Try to find one or two God-tier textbooks. Sequent calculus fits in one Wikipedia page plus a PDF file[1] if you want an explicit construction of LJ.

[1] normalesup.org/~saurin/Enseignement/Proof_Theory_CMI/undergraduate.pdf

8ch_net/prog/res/3034_html#3034

Replace _ with .

>go there
>404
>go to main page
>top board is tinylotuscult
>go there
>Immediatelynope the fuck out after some browsing out of morbid curiousity
well i'm scarred forever. WTF was that about?

You have to do math problems. Start with algebra, and do problems until your hand is in pain from writing.