What is your preferred word processor?

What is your preferred word processor?

I've used Office for years, but it's become unstable on my laptop and I am thinking that it would be best to get rid of it and try something new. I like the features of Office, and I am used to its layout I suppose, though I'm not afraid to try something new if it is better. Any suggestions? I write a lot of essays, so something like Notepad++ isn't enough for me.

I prefer keep it simple. Just notepad already suits me.

It's probably a matter of comfort over practicality that makes me compelled to use something like Word rather than notepad. It "feels" to simple and seems like not enough.

Check out LibreOffice

I'll give this one a shot. I didn't like it in the past, but I've matured.

I use google docs. A lot better for school stuff, especially. Plus a lot of neat add-ons.

I used Google Docs, but then I realized that I don't want the jews analyzing my writing and shit for the ad money. Any good alternatives?

I'm not a fan of writing in a browser.

LibreOffice seems like a good Word-like solution. Thanks

JDarkroom.

Blank screen, monochrome monotype. No buttons, no rulers, no sounds, no colors, just you and the text. Standard word processing features and menu via the F-keys.

It's going to be the closest option, and it can handle 99% of what Word does

Oh DAMN. This looks cool enough to install.

I use office, but I despise it.

It's entirely way too fucking complex, and for some reason always assumes I want to do the most complicated, ridiculous goddamn thing whenever it decides to do something for me. It's basically like I have to fight it every time I use it.

Right????????

Office Online?

vim

Same. Just felt in the way too often.

>emacs

sublime + git version control

>Java
ew

I tried a few "alternative" word processors, but eventually I always go back to LibreOffice (Writer), because it just werks and has the extra functionality when you need it.
The only complaint is that it's a bit heavy, but really the warm start is like 1 second (faster than Word, desu).
The only lighter WYSIWYG word processor was AbiWord, but it was buggy and it's abandonware now. If you want lighter than that you have to go for a simple text editor, but then you won't have the same functionality.
And MS Office has become a bloated botnet mess, I don't even have it installed on my PC anymore.

LibreOffice really is the patrician's choice

I moved from LibreOffice to Word 2016 because of the performance. You can always have LyX for solid works.

Also, handwriting is the patrician choice.

LibreOffice Writer

>Not using a wax tablet
Plebian

>Also, handwriting is the patrician choice.
this.
>fountain pen.

The best word processor is notebook and pencil.

notepad++ with c++ set as a language
saved into cpp files
because i am autistic that way and like to see pretty colours

Focus writer is good. Minimal interface with customisable background and a built in tracker for word count. Not much in the way of formatting so I switch to Open Office once the first draft is done.

This basiclfky

I use Wordpad

I use a typewriter desu

I used to use OpenOffice but i'm using Word now. Everyone used Word so for university work, it's almost mandatory for sending shit to people, for example to proofread. Unless you want the ass pain that is converting between different formats which takes way too much fucking time.

In my experience, Word can open most common document file formats and other solutions seem to be inclusive of Word's .docx format too.

LibreOffice has a file format it defaults to instead of .doc, but it does read and write .doc just fine (for OP's benefit as much as anything)

When I want a document to look pretty, I'll use latex. Otherwise microsoft word.

Scrivener for any long work with multiple parts/chapters, Word for short stories, notepad for the occasional poem or flash fiction.

What do you guys look for in a word processor? Because there is a couple of use cases that do not match exactly.

For example I focused on looking for a distraction free text editor instead of a full word processor that gets in my way, so I ultimately decided to go for vim.

But before that I use GJots, which is simple and scale impressively well for very big texts that have structure, you could make novels or films with that if you do sketches and editing instead of one sits. Now with vim I am finding the way to do this outliner-like thing too, but that is another story.

Some other guy here suggested LyX, which is what I suggest as alternative to the other I already mentioned. And it outputs to LaTeX, which makes what you write look pretty.

Write Monkey

OpenOffice is a nice, free program...think Office365 open source. Runs stable on my 2012 MacBook.

I also like using FocusWriter when working on fiction. No bells and whistles...distraction-free writing program with a small footprint on your system.

My nigga.

Google Docs, because I alternate between my desktop and my laptop a shitton and want my files available on both, as well as at uni on their computers.

OpenOffice has been abandoned for years, after Oracle bought out Sun and killed all of their open-source projects. Most of the developers from the OpenOffice project went on to create LibreOffice and keep it current re compatibility and so on

>I focused on looking for a distraction free text editor
Just use WriteMonkey. Pic related is my very own theme for WM.

I use OpenOffice for anything a few pages or shorter. For more complicated things, novel or novella length, Scrivener is growing on me.
Not that I'm suggesting you *pay* for it.

sharelatex

LaTeX

>OpenOffice
looks like you missed

Typora